Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So the stepper motor is to control the first start up on the cold engine to allow air into the throttle bodies until it is warmed up. I synced the carbs with the air screws closed until both cylinders had equal pressure. The picture that show the socket extension is on the idle screw. I adjusted the idle while it was warm to where the idle was the best. I then reset the tps sensor and adjusted the air screws in the throttle body holders for the best idle. I read about someone else doing this to their Ducati in this thread. Making the S2R 1000 run properly

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Took the bike out to get some gas and a short ride. Cold start was no problem and ran like glass compared to before. Maybe the stepper motor was my issue. It did throw an engine code after a few miles but went off after I started it back up. I will have to read it later, but I’m sure it’s confused about the stepper motor. Wonder if maybe it would be better to disconnect it completely? Once I figure it out and fine tune it a little more to dial it in I will add the Bazzaz back on and see if the self tune will work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Took the bike out to get some gas and a short ride. Cold start was no problem and ran like glass compared to before. Maybe the stepper motor was my issue. It did throw an engine code after a few miles but went off after I started it back up. I will have to read it later, but I’m sure it’s confused about the stepper motor. Wonder if maybe it would be better to disconnect it completely? Once I figure it out and fine tune it a little more to dial it in I will add the Bazzaz back on and see if the self tune will work.
I just wonder if the adjustment screws alone are capable of providing enough air for proper idle without the stepper involved. I'm the type that would always be up for ditching something like that stepper. But it would need something to take it's place. Using the actual idle speed adjustment and using the butterflies to make up the difference will hurt your overall performance in my opinion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
@Dvy3178 well I rode the bike to work today and no issues or engine codes. I did adjust the air screws out a little bit this morning so it didn’t stumble at low throttle opening cruising slow at 3500 rpms. Now runs like glass and no performance issues when hammering on the throttle. I think I could adjust the idle screw a notch because it idles around 1500 rpms when it’s warm. Also I am not using the butterflies to make up the difference. I simply set them where the factory says they were supposed to be at and then reset the TPS. While they weren’t that far out of sync I still had to adjust them. The air screws need to be manipulated since the stepper motor doesn’t let air in now. But most people seem to think the Ducati is too lean anyways so the air screw is marginal. I basically have both of them screwed out 1 and 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I rode the bike a few days and decided I would hook back up the stepper motor. It would probably be better to delete it on a race only bike, but I daily mine. Now that I got the throttle bodies sync’d and chirping again I guess it’s time to give the Bazzaz another shot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The chain guards were broke and didn’t match all the other carbon fiber parts so I replaced them and added a tail wheel hugger fender. I like the looks of the fender and it should help keep stuff of my rear shock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
As I put everything back together from my last charade; I slapped on the tech spec tank pad. Before anyone gives me grief about covering up the stripe check out the before pic. You can see someone laid the tank back on the rectifier which did it no good. I had a different tank pad prior, but it didn’t really match the tech spec knee pads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I figured I would put a little more effort into the forum and share my experience with getting my Monster back up to par. I probably should have started sooner, but better late than never. The Ducati of my dreams; a 2007 Monster S4RS Testatretta, presented itself to me at a deal I couldn't pass up. It was a little dirty and neglected with a past history as a stolen motorcycle. I don't mind the black eye on the title with the odometer discrepency because I plan to keep this one a long time. I am not new to motorcycles, but I am new to Ducati's. And I will be honest and admit that all of my previous motorcycle expertise was on Japanese motorcycles. I do like getting my hands dirty and would rather work on my motorcycle before I give a kidney to the stealership. Currently I have another motorcycle; a 1980 XS650(706), that I spent a little over a year building it into a cafe racer. So I guess you can say I am not afraid to customize and create my own fabrications. I guess I have a way of thinking outside of the box when it comes to my motorcycle builds. I hope you will enjoy following my thread and maybe help me along the way.
View attachment 225657 View attachment 225658
Bushy, i built a flat tracker out of a basket case XS650 custom, got a lot of the components from the states (Mikes XS)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Excellent job on the build @Lessaint. I regret selling my xs650, but was running out of space in the garage. I am sure I will find myself getting another one to build up again when I move back to the main land.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Decided to stick with the stock rear sets for now, but added some more carbon fiber. The heel guards blend in nicely imho.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

I guess Shorai sponsored my build, because today I got a refund for an issue with my address. When I asked why they refunded me they said they don’t deliver to Hawaii. And this showed up today to my surprise.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Sweet build man...IMO all the bike would need now is that dp solo seat to finish off that carbon fiber sexiness!!
The seat would look good but they don’t make it for the S4RS from what I’m reading. I think I’ll stick with the cover for now; unless someone wants to sponsor my build again with a seat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Now that is a sexy beast if I don’t say so myself. Got the tune with my Bazzaz finally sorted out and it is dialed in nicely. For other S4RS owners looking to get a Bazzaz i uploaded my map onto their website. I would have got some better pics of my ride in Hawaii, but I was having too much fun to stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
View attachment 226580 Now that is a sexy beast if I don’t say so myself. Got the tune with my Bazzaz finally sorted out and it is dialed in nicely. For other S4RS owners looking to get a Bazzaz i uploaded my map onto their website. I would have got some better pics of my ride in Hawaii, but I was having too much fun to stop.
You right, she'sexy as hell😎.. but trie to imagine how beauty she will be without those "flippy" Faring - like Galuzzi says "Every Faring on to my baby is a Design Rape" and that's right!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
You right, she'sexy as hell😎.. but trie to imagine how beauty she will be without those "flippy" Faring - like Galuzzi says "Every Faring on to my baby is a Design Rape" and that's right!
I installed the headlight fairing because the S4RS was one of the model of monsters that originally had one even though mine is slightly different from stock. It does provide some functionality as well. I have been going back and forth with taking it off or not, but I will also want to get new mirrors if I did remove the fairing. The mirrors stick up fairly high and take away from a low profile naked look. I will see how the new LED headlight housing looks installed with the fairing and decide then.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts