Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So the stepper motor is to control the first start up on the cold engine to allow air into the throttle bodies until it is warmed up. I synced the carbs with the air screws closed until both cylinders had equal pressure. The picture that show the socket extension is on the idle screw. I adjusted the idle while it was warm to where the idle was the best. I then reset the tps sensor and adjusted the air screws in the throttle body holders for the best idle. I read about someone else doing this to their Ducati in this thread. Making the S2R 1000 run properly

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Took the bike out to get some gas and a short ride. Cold start was no problem and ran like glass compared to before. Maybe the stepper motor was my issue. It did throw an engine code after a few miles but went off after I started it back up. I will have to read it later, but I’m sure it’s confused about the stepper motor. Wonder if maybe it would be better to disconnect it completely? Once I figure it out and fine tune it a little more to dial it in I will add the Bazzaz back on and see if the self tune will work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Took the bike out to get some gas and a short ride. Cold start was no problem and ran like glass compared to before. Maybe the stepper motor was my issue. It did throw an engine code after a few miles but went off after I started it back up. I will have to read it later, but I’m sure it’s confused about the stepper motor. Wonder if maybe it would be better to disconnect it completely? Once I figure it out and fine tune it a little more to dial it in I will add the Bazzaz back on and see if the self tune will work.
I just wonder if the adjustment screws alone are capable of providing enough air for proper idle without the stepper involved. I'm the type that would always be up for ditching something like that stepper. But it would need something to take it's place. Using the actual idle speed adjustment and using the butterflies to make up the difference will hurt your overall performance in my opinion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
@Dvy3178 well I rode the bike to work today and no issues or engine codes. I did adjust the air screws out a little bit this morning so it didn’t stumble at low throttle opening cruising slow at 3500 rpms. Now runs like glass and no performance issues when hammering on the throttle. I think I could adjust the idle screw a notch because it idles around 1500 rpms when it’s warm. Also I am not using the butterflies to make up the difference. I simply set them where the factory says they were supposed to be at and then reset the TPS. While they weren’t that far out of sync I still had to adjust them. The air screws need to be manipulated since the stepper motor doesn’t let air in now. But most people seem to think the Ducati is too lean anyways so the air screw is marginal. I basically have both of them screwed out 1 and 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I rode the bike a few days and decided I would hook back up the stepper motor. It would probably be better to delete it on a race only bike, but I daily mine. Now that I got the throttle bodies sync’d and chirping again I guess it’s time to give the Bazzaz another shot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The chain guards were broke and didn’t match all the other carbon fiber parts so I replaced them and added a tail wheel hugger fender. I like the looks of the fender and it should help keep stuff of my rear shock.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts