Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@QLDs4 yeah I think it is just a little bit of false advertisement from the seller on eBay. It may work with other monsters but still doesn’t come with instructions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well my bike is down for the holidays due to a leak in the radiator I need to get repaired. In the meantime I’m working on some number plates to sit in place of the passenger pegs. And also got myself a Bazzaz Z-FI piggyback module for Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with the Bazzaz piggyback on the S4RS? It seems there is a map I can download Bazzaz created in Southern California; which is similar to elevation in Hawaii where I live. I’m a little hesitant to use the scotchlok crimps they supply that basically cuts the shielding around the original wire. If I spend another $200 I can buy the self mapping module; which might be a good idea. I guess if you think about it that would be about what your paying for a tune.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
@janjaapdeluxe did you reinstall your fans after the repairs? I just wonder if it has anything to do with the weight of those hanging from the radiator. When I bought my S4RS it was missing the left side fan so I only had the right side.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The installation of the Z-Fi piggyback wasn’t too bad. The hardest part was removing the airbox. Downloaded Bazzaz’s map for the S4RS and ran the diagnostic; no issues found. I started the bike briefly, because it doesn’t have a radiator installed at the moment. I am contemplating not putting the fan back on after I get the radiator repaired, but we will see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well that TPS reading looks a little better. I was a little skeptical about the JPDiag device since it was under $50, but now that I worked through the language barrier and figured it out; money well spent. It seems like it can be used to program many functions on the ECU for Ducati’s. IT will unlock you ecu, reset service, codes, TPS, and I haven’t dabbled but I believe you may be able to use it to tune your map. Also it has test functions for your electronics such as fan, fuel pump, etc. View attachment 225807
Only if you have a Ducati performance map you can. You need to use TuneECU. JpDiag/GuzziDiag is for diagnostics. The only thing you can change on the ECU map is the trimmer setting but you need the DP map. You can change the values all you want on the stock map and it won’t do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
Only if you have a Ducati performance map you can. You need to use TuneECU. JpDiag/GuzziDiag is for diagnostics. The only thing you can change on the ECU map is the trimmer setting but you need the DP map. You can change the values all you want on the stock map and it won’t do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kinda have to agree. Why spend anything on a piggyback system on a bike so easy to tune. $200 would buy a good wide-band AFR meter and a set of LonElec cables. Everything else costs nothing. As far as DP maps go, it's hit or miss. There's a reason why they gave you a whole new ECU back then. The ECUs can vary widely in the offset and parameters used. Even on the same model, same year. You might get lucky, you might end up with a garbage running bike. It's a gamble. A custom tune based off the stock map with an AFR meter and a dyno will always win over a map "From the Internet". Even if it's just a butt dyno. To me, downloading a map online and installing it on my bike without even looking at it, would be like finding a stranger on Facebook and asking them to pick out birthday gifts for my wife and mother.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@GinTonic yeah I figured that out and ended up just going the piggyback route.

@Dvy3178 I decided on this piggy back because it doesn’t just alter the temperature and trick the ecu. It actually is a platform capable of tuning. It plugs into your TPS, Injectors, and crank position sensors. If you purchase the Bazzaz AFM module it has an air fuel meter and will record your perimeters so after you get back from a ride you can view the record and adjust your fuel tables accordingly. This makes it easy for self tuners who don’t own a shop to do dyno runs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I kinda have to agree. Why spend anything on a piggyback system on a bike so easy to tune. $200 would buy a good wide-band AFR meter and a set of LonElec cables. Everything else costs nothing. As far as DP maps go, it's hit or miss. There's a reason why they gave you a whole new ECU back then. The ECUs can vary widely in the offset and parameters used. Even on the same model, same year. You might get lucky, you might end up with a garbage running bike. It's a gamble. A custom tune based off the stock map with an AFR meter and a dyno will always win over a map "From the Internet". Even if it's just a butt dyno. To me, downloading a map online and installing it on my bike without even looking at it, would be like finding a stranger on Facebook and asking them to pick out birthday gifts for my wife and mother.
100% need to check the map in TuneECU before uploading into the ECU. I found a few performance maps for my old 695 and when I uploaded them into TuneECU to view the parameters...I found some pretty dangerous stuff. So you're correct. I should have mentioned that - If you are planning on running a map from the Ducati.MS ECU map repository - ALWAYS...ALWAYS upload it into TuneECU first and compare it against your stock map. Your stock map will give you an idea what the ECU map should look like. A Ducati Performance map should look similar with adjusted values.

But there is no better map than one that is tuned on a Dyno. It's a $300-$400 cost but it will get you the best results.

·
Registered
594 Posts
For sure. And the "Butt dyno" and an AFR meter option is always there as well. Might not achieve perfection, but you'll have more fun, learn a lot, and you've always got it to take with you when you change exhausts, intake, or other major modifications, or move on to the next bike. Beats forking over a few hundred to a shop, couple hundred for a new tire afterwards, and you can't put a price on the joy of not having to deal with "Dyno shop guys".

When it comes to maps having the right .xdf file is everything as well. I wish I knew more about creating them from scratch based on the code printed on the ECU, but I've got enough hobbies as it is. And it's of little value as the hardware grows more and more obsolete. I'd rather focus on adapting aftermarket ECUs to these old bikes. It's the only real solution for keeping them on the road in the future.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Today I added the racing number side plates on the bike. Yesterday I painted them and today my lovely wife made cut and put the vinyl on the plates. Found a use for the hardware that came with the headlight fairing by using the spacers so the left plate would clear the swing arm. Definitely add 10 HP now so I may need the Bazzaz Z-AFM to get the tune dialed in, lol. All jokes aside I am going to order the Z-AFM so I can get the bike running at it’s optimum. Still need to take the radiator to get it repaired so the bike will be sitting a few more days before I can test ride it.

3F0CE978-A539-4A79-A3D6-17CE37D19738.jpeg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
The Bazzaz AFM arrived today and was an easy install. I am still surprised that it is more expensive than the actual fuel controller. The radiator shop said they would recommend a new radiator and showed me the leaks. While they were small leaks there were a few so I took a chance on a radiator from China. I’m sure I will get lashed for this, but my thought process was try the repair, then the cheap one, then the larger more expensive performance one. $200 versus $1000 so I’m okay with it, and the photos at least showed a good looking weld on the product. I may end up putting the leaking radiator back on until the Chinese one arrives. I do live in Hawaii so Motorcycle weather last all year if you don’t mind a little rain every now and then. Still waiting for some stickers I purchased when I first bought the bike and when everything is aligned I will get some sweet pics.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Set up the Bazzaz self tune map in preparation for the first ride after the install. I should be receiving the radiator from China tomorrow. I am hoping it’s as good of quality as they advertised. I did get a second opinion for repair of the stock radiator from Myler’s, but they also said they were unable to repair it. I am just glad it is the rainy season in Hawaii right now.
29CD92D7-3BB9-4B37-9511-96BCA0438300.jpeg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I am actually really pleased with the quality of this radiator. I’m going to run it for a few days and make sure it doesn’t leak before I hang the fans.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts