Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@ronski i checked all the tolerance of the clutch plates and basket, but just ended up getting new plates from ducaride. There is not much noise from the clutch now, but it is having an issue shifting to neutral while running now. Bleed lines again to see if there was any air in them. Other than that it shifts way better.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok, but I'd take another look at your clutch basket. Your picture clearly shows curved 'v' groove on the end plate section.
Obviously I can't see all the basket where the badly worn plates were hitting, only the end plate.
Bleed away, but these wear grooves are in a 'V' shape, when running, the spinning centrifugal force holds the plates inside the 'V' groove and they don't separate freely. This is the main cause of hard to find neutral in a Ducati dry clutch.
The channels should be straight and smooth. so the plates slide apart freely.
Here is a picture of a really badly worn basket, obviously extreme, followed by your picture where it's showing same wear. (red pointers).
your choice really.

Other than that, it's a joy to follow your progress, I love it when some one brings back a Monster after being neglected.:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@ronski thanks for the tips and advice. I did check the grooves prior to installation and didn’t see anything as extreme as the picture your showing me. To me everything looked fine with the grooves on the basket. I was able to get the clutch working now as it should. Either it needed a little break in or the fact that I adjusted my clutch lever another click.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well I accepted defeat and took the bike to the shop to get them to remove the rear wheel and change the tire for me. It cost me the same as all the tools I had to buy. These sockets are made of steel, but the 450 ib impact gun and it didn’t do anything but tear up the socket. I bought another one and gave it another go a little impact and a strong friend to help with the breaker bar and extension, but still did not budge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Anyone have any experience with Ducati performance headlight fairings? They don’t include instructions and I am pretty sure they just throw random hardware to make you feel like it could be used. I will probably end up fabricating my own mounts. I have tried many different configurations with the supplied hardware and don’t see how the puzzle pieces connect.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The one on my S4 is fitted after the fact.
First pic is the two bolts that hold it on the left side.
That upper bolt is in a different subframe section to the headlight bracket.
Second pic is where the two brackets are bolted together.
20201214_092238.jpg
20201214_092207.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you don't have the bracket (part of the main sub frame)
20201214_093352.jpg
circled in the diagram you might need to do some fabrication.
Ignore the line at the bottom, im still waking up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@QLDs4 it isn’t the standard S4 fairing. I do still have the stock mount points. The bottom of the fairing doesn’t have the mounting tabs like the OEM fairing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the front tire changed even though I wanted to wait for my fork fluid to arrive. Guess that will have to be done later on. Probably end up replacing seals and such while I’m at it. I was glad I ordered the anodized set of nuts, because the front nut was somewhat stripped. The bike is needing a few little cosmetic things, but I’d say it’s looking good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@QLDs4 well I did a mock up at least with the hardware set up and I could probably make it work, but there is a few issues. I wasn’t able to use the bolts in the yoke. The kit doesn’t have 4 of the Abraham Lincoln hat things. The way I mocked it up could work but the alignment is somewhat off and sits almost straight up if you want to close the gap in between the headlight. I may try and cut down the stalks and see if that works, but probably just do a little bending and cutting of an aluminum bar to get the right fitment.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Waiting on my license for the JPdaig software so I can reset the TPS. The ECU was swapped and I highly doubt the TPS was reset. A little rough at low throttle and backfire on decel. I kinda like the pops on decel, but not the rough low idle cruise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
You got the fairing on ok?
No not yet I still need to go to the hardware store and pick up the materials to do the mounts. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do. There definitely will be a picture posted once I get it done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Well that TPS reading looks a little better. I was a little skeptical about the JPDiag device since it was under $50, but now that I worked through the language barrier and figured it out; money well spent. It seems like it can be used to program many functions on the ECU for Ducati’s. IT will unlock you ecu, reset service, codes, TPS, and I haven’t dabbled but I believe you may be able to use it to tune your map. Also it has test functions for your electronics such as fan, fuel pump, etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Well after many hours of scratching my head to figure out how I was going to fabricate mounts and what hardware was going to hold it in place. I think I found a solid solution for the headlight fairing. The only hardware I was able to use out of the supplied hardware was the 90 degree hangers and the spacers. I tried many ways to incorporate the hardware supplied even attempted to flatten and bend the posts. I was going to bend an aluminum bar but with the contour it would have surely cracked after a few times over 100 mph. The lense I permanently mounted with rivets, because it’s tinted and I don’t plan to change it. I strapped up the top tight with leather straps. The bottom I used the 90 degree hangers and installed them from the headlight screw. I got another surprise on its way so stay tuned.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts