Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 · (Edited)
Had my little helper working on getting my slipper clutch installed. Unfortunately I am still awaiting the push rod pin to finish the job. I didn’t want to deal with getting the old one out of the bearing on the still functioning clutch plate. Also I figured it may look better with a fresher looking one with the new clutch anyways. The clutch basket was beat up and that is actually what pushed me to get the slipper clutch.
Wheel Tire Shoe Vehicle Automotive tire
White Light Automotive tire Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
Finished the slipper clutch install this evening. I like the new look, but haven’t got to take it for a test ride yet. Need to replenish the engine oil but want to wait for the new drain plug instead of using the old one. In the last pic you can see the belly pan I added as well. I think the only thing left is changing the speedometer, but I’m holding off on that for a little while.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
In the spirit of passing the dreaded HI inspection I removed the stock blinkers and tail light for a sleeker more modern look. I have turn signals in my head lamp and taillight so no need for the limp ones hanging off the side. I was a little worried about the fact I removed the catalytic converter, but they are kinda vague on exhaust here. The exhaust just can’t leak or be too loud to the inspector.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Upgraded the stock clutch slave cylinder to an after market Oberon slave cylinder. I figured since I added a slipper clutch might as well add a new slave cylinder to go along with it. I guess we will see tomorrow how it functions. Love the looks of it compared to the old one.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
So it’s been a long time coming, but I’m finally going to work on lowering the front headlight and speedometer. So far here is some photos of the mock up. Time to start figuring ways to fabricate the OE piece to use it how I want. I want to either eventually get my koso speedometer wired in or fix the stock speedometer. The only thing keeping me from added the koso is cutting the wiring harness and figuring it out. The pic on the bottom is from a video koso made and it looks sick. Also yes I know I need to remove that sticker from the forks.

Tool Wood Aircraft Finger Bicycle part
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Motorcycle Fuel tank

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
I was able to lower the headlight about 3 inches using the stock bracket with only one slight fabrication. There was no way in my opinion to make the stock speedometer look good without the headlight fairing. Even if I closed up the gap to cover exposed wires and lines I didn’t like the way it looked sitting on top of the headlight. So until I get the courage to wire up the koso speedometer the headlight fairing is staying.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Motor vehicle
Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Bag
Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I have read a lot of love / hate relationships with 14T front sprockets and finally decided to order one to try myself. I spend most of my time riding the bike at town speeds, and at least while I live in Hawaii won’t see track speeds. I feel the gearing will complement my riding much better but it won’t be hard to change back if it doesn’t. Plus it’s not gonna break the bank at $30.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
107 Posts
I have read a lot of love / hate relationships with 14T front sprockets and finally decided to order one to try myself. I spend most of my time riding the bike at town speeds, and at least while I live in Hawaii won’t see track speeds. I feel the gearing will complement my riding much better but it won’t be hard to change back if it doesn’t. Plus it’s not gonna break the bank at $30.
I went through the same decision process - figured $30 was worth the experiment and bought one. Like you, I don't see track speeds, and far prefer the thrill of a good launch at traffic lights.
I've been very pleased with the change. Though when it comes time to replace the chain - I'll probably opt for a bigger rear. There isn't massive clearance around the swing-arm on my 796 once I dropped to the 14T up front.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
Found a spot for the air pressure sensor; tucked away nicely. At this point I have verified nothing hits or rubs on my mock up. I ordered a few new pieces to replace some rusted and deteriorated stuff. I have been figuring out the wiring diagram and building my confidence to do the job. Besides looks my old speedometer is missing a few segments on the mileage digits. So it’s either replace the speedometer or pay just as much to get it repaired. I already purchased an unlocked ecu I have been running for a while now. The koso does have an immobilizer function but we will see.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system
Land vehicle Fuel tank Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire
Light Camera lens Automotive tire Cameras & optics Motor vehicle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
The new Koso MS-01 is looking pretty slick on the ride. Definitely glad I opted to install it. A few functions that the gauge added was gear indication, voltage indication, and a few warning lights such as rpm range. Something else that could function but I haven’t dug into it yet is air fuel ratio indication. The only functionality that I lost unless I can figure it out is the fuel low indicator. Other than that this gauge is well worth the time wiring and money spent.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
@janjaapdeluxe I am glad I lowered it now to give the body lines a way better look without the fairing. The radiator has a cox radiator guard on it which is probably why it looks different. However it is a Chinese knock off brand that is actually really good quality. If you read further back in my build thread it covers the radiator.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 · (Edited)
Rode the bike up to North Shore and I gotta say I wish I had dropped a tooth a long time ago. IMHO it is well rounded now for all speeds. I thought it would pick up the front wheel easier, but seems to do it about the same. I don’t plan on adding the headlight fairing back on but can see how if you go too fast it is pretty necessary. I guess that will keep me from going a speed I can’t talk myself out of a ticket.
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Fuel tank

161 - 180 of 181 Posts