Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Old fluid and header heat don't align with the symptoms I am experiencing. Old fluid won't cause sponginess when cold. Header heat causing boiling would cause sponginess immediately. I've never experienced sponginess in my rear brake when riding even before this issue manifested. I use my rear brake all the time.

It seems a little air got into the line from somewhere...but where? Flushing/bleeding may help but the symptom will return eventually.

FYI, I'm not against bleeding brakes or anything else, but the responses I find to be a bit over the top so I just have to tweak some of you guys.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It seems a little air got into the line from somewhere...but where? Flushing/bleeding may help but the symptom will return eventually.
Please read post # 23 and # 81. Look no further !
Bleeding is a yearly band-aid but not the cure.
Ducati is trying to avoid a recall across the board.

no-that-cant-be-true-thats-impossible.jpg head in sand.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
but this one wins first prize.
Thank you ;)

Just to be clear, I don't advocate to not flush your brake fluid: follow the bike-manufacturers advice, and more often if you push it to the limits.
But don't believe every word from the fluid manufacturers (same for oil, tires, chains etc)

·
Registered
746 Posts
But don't believe every word from the fluid manufacturers (same for oil, tires, chains etc)
The information I posted was not written by the fluid manufacturer.
You will not find this info on Motul's website.
It was written by Dynamic Racing Solutions which is a high performance vehicle service center.

·
Registered
746 Posts
LOL - thanks DarR. I assume I would need to buy the brake line for a new monster then. Or I could just upgrade to steel braided lines (probably for about the same cost).
What you wrote is true and would solve it. The issue is that it's a really big job.
Your bike will look like mine in post # 23.
I was actually lucky as the change was erroneously done under a recall but then passed under a customer appreciation job.

·
Registered
486 Posts
OooOooh....what I really want to see is someone who has had the brake line fix run some cheap fluid in and report if the brake goes spongebob....again....that would be a firm data point.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The faulty brake line may not be an isolated issue. IMHO, there's no need to exacerbate the problem with 1) cheap fluid and / or 2) which has not been changed in a couple of years or more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
OooOooh....what I really want to see is someone who has had the brake line fix run some cheap fluid in and report if the brake goes spongebob....again....that would be a firm data point.
Just look at all the threads started about Monsters with rear brake problems.
Almost all are maintenance related issues.
Most riders neglect their brake fluid or use the cheapest **** they can find.
Its not rocket science, yet so many problems, and the solution is so freaking easy to fix.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The faulty brake line may not be an isolated issue. IMHO, there's no need to exacerbate the problem with 1) cheap fluid and / or 2) which has not been changed in a couple of years or more.
How much proof do we need?
Check this out:

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Another motorcycle ABS success story. Back to the good ol days when Brembo wouldn't sell you brakes unless they provided the whole system.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That report is pretty damning if it turns out to be the cause...the only part that sounds made up is the 22 complaints...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if there was a posting of this but Ducati issued a recall for the 1200S for the rear brake line. The Rs are not covered but my shop pulled some strings and made it happen. They replace the line to the ABS brain and the line to the caliper. The line from the factory had an issue where air/water etc could enter at the banjo/line connection. Updated brake line fixed it. I now have an excellent rear brake. Repair billed at 800 bux ....apparently a pretty extreme teardown is required to get to all the parts.

Now if my multi had a decent rear brake.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts