Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
the high point of the system is, the ABS itself and does trap air.
A fix I remember from years ago was to install banjo bleeders to top of ABS unit.
I think this was mentioned in a link here.

I struggle to think why have anti lock system on a brake which is, well, (censored). hardly works in the first place.
you would have to drop a small house on the lever to lock the back wheel.
this was from 1100 evo. not sure if it still applies.
good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
Really? You guys think tape is going to get into the system?

Use a narrow strip, make sure to not get it down onto the tapered part of the bleed screw. Once the bleeder is tightened down, the tapered part seats against the caliper and seals. No way anything's getting past it.

Even mityvac actually recommends using Teflon tape in one of their FAQ's.

2nd one down in link:

https://www.skf.com/mityvac/contact-and-support/faq/index.html
I think all suggestions that work is good. After all, there's no harm in trying.
I'll give it a boo if it acts up again. Right now, pumping the bejesus out of the ABS did the trick for me.

·
Registered
700 Posts
MONSTER 1200 NEWS:

New Brake Line Recall

I just had the rear brake line replaced under a new recall. The crimping ends of the banjo are now different.
It's a big job as the air-box must be removed to access the ABS module which the rear brake line is connected to.
Here's a few shots:

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
the high point of the system is, the ABS itself and does trap air.
A fix I remember from years ago was to install banjo bleeders to top of ABS unit.
I think this was mentioned in a link here.

I struggle to think why have anti lock system on a brake which is, well, (censored). hardly works in the first place.
you would have to drop a small house on the lever to lock the back wheel.
this was from 1100 evo. not sure if it still applies.
good luck
Tried that on my 1100 Evo ABS. Interfered with the fuel tank. Not enough room on mine. Bled them at the unions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MONSTER 1200 NEWS:

New Brake Line Recall

I just had the rear brake line replaced under a new recall. The crimping ends of the banjo are now different.
It's a big job as the air-box must be removed to access the ABS module which the rear brake line is connected to.
Here's a few shots:

Do you happen to know the recall info and what years are covered? I cannot get the Ducati recall page to recognize my VIN number.

EDIT: Got the page to work, it will not accept a copy/paste of the VIN. You must type each character. The recall on the brakes is only for 2015 and newer bikes, so those of us with 2014's are SOL.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't have the number at hand for the Monster but It's a follow-up to these:

SRV-TBS-19-012
SRV-TSB-20-002

The Ducati recall page will recognize a copy and paste VIN number. Just make sure you don't have a blank space at the end of the number.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve heard that Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid apparently solves for this on Ducati’s because it works at a higher temp. Instead of Teflon there’s a product from Permatex called 54540 Pneumatic and Hydraulic Sealant. Has anyone used it before with success?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm surprised no one has picked up on the close proximity the brake lines are to the exhaust.
How hot your exhaust get?
Don't you think that could be causing the brake fluid to over heat and eventually boil?

Wrap the pipe and more reflextive insulation on the brake lines

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've read all these suggestions in various forums and other places. Doesn't seem like any one fix works for everyone, so it keeps getting asked about. The older models without ABS don't have this problem? Is that right?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I always insulate brake lines and masters if they seem too close to exhaust. Insulate the pipe too. Experience has shown me not to wait for a problem with brakes when you can see in advance you’re going to have a problem. It does no good to complain about it. Fix it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There's a Recall on the 2015+ brake lines.
See post #22 above for more details.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts