Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound stupid, BUT how do you put on a zippered 2 pc pant and jacket. Do you zipper them together first, then put on the pants with the jacket hanging from it?? [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=help.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Deb, it's a very good question. When I first got my Dainese 2-piece, it fit like a glove (I was 20 lbs heavier then). As long I wasn't sweating, it seemed easier to put it on as one piece because it was a PITA to get the zipper to zip. When you reach under the edge of the jacket, it rolls the top half of the zipper out of position and makes it hang up instead of zipping. Losing weight didn't help and getting sweaty and having the suit stick to my skin really didn't help.

Eventually, I figured out to put a leftover camera strap on the zipper handle. That allows pulling the zipper around from below the bottom edge of the jacket. Works like a charm. Did the same thing on the Spidi 2-piece I picked up around Christmas.

Once I did the strap thing on the zippers, it became very easy to put the pieces on separately and then zip them up. And that's the way I put on either set now.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've tried it both ways with my Alpinestar two-piece, and I think I prefer to put on the pants and jacket separately then zip them together. It's a little more awkward to get the pants on with the jacket zipped to them.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I put on both parts seperately and then zip them together. It's a bit more difficult on my wife's race suit, which fits tighter. I usually give her a hand zipping herself up.

Mark, get some Underarmor, the stuff football players wear, or any kind of polyester underwear for that matter. It can be found at sporting goods stores like Sport Chalet. You will be able to slip into and out of your suit much, much easier, especially under hot and humid conditions when you're sweating a lot. I never ride without it anymore.

Plus it really startles the Hispanic construction workers next door when I walk around the back yeard in my skin-tight Underarmor before and after each ride ;D

-R.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I also was wondering the same thing, thanks for starting a topic Deb.

I don't have any riding pants yet, but my Frank Thomas textile jacket has 2 zippers sewn in. 1 is about 8 inches long, and very corse toothed. The other goes almost all the way around the jacket waist, and has finer teeth.

My Q - Are these 2 types of zippers the standard configurations for pants too? Or do I have an odd jacket since I bought it in France? Will I be able to find pants in the US to mate up with the longer, finer zipper?

thanks,

mitt

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Sounds like the 8 inch zipper may be intended for the style some of the Joe Rocket outfits (like Pheonix) use. For track use and better all round safety, you'll want the full zipper capability.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I also was wondering the same thing, thanks for starting a topic Deb.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Deb,

my rule of thumb...

1. Full length zipper (all the way around)... zip first then put the suit on

2. 1/2 length or less... zip after you put it on.

Of course, if it's too difficult to zip after you put it on, zip first.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Since it's been brought up... are the jacket

zippers brand specific or generic? I have an IXS Tracker jacket with the full length zipper around. Do I need to get IXS pants or will most brands attach? Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
They are semi-brand specific. There are a couple that will zip into each other, but quite a few of them have different zippers or even the same zipper but oriented differently on the suit.

You might want to read this for more info...
http://www.newenough.com/faq_zipper_compatibility.htm

--Fillmore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts