Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my clutch slave cylinder today... what a difference. Much easier pull now. And it was relatively painless... only took about 45 minutes which isn't bad considering I've never done it before.

One thing I would watch out for, though.... the bleeder screw is easy to strip. I learned this the hard way as I was bleeding and tightened it up just a little too much, resulting in the screw breaking off inside the banjo bolt. I just reused the original banjo bolt.

Thanks to Chris at CA-Cycleworks who provided the part and was nice enough to give me instructions.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the guidelines provided by Chris (reprinted without his permission!)... I found them to be very useful.

1) crack loose the bleeder valve as well as banjo bolt on the clutch slave on your bike and then very lightly snug them up so as not to leak right now
2) try to prefill the new clutch slave cylinder with brake fluid and use some grease to hold the o-ring into place
3) get your bottle of brake fluid ready, as well as plenty of rags and a bottle of water
4) place lots of rags under the master cylinder to protect your bike
5) open master cylinder reservoir and fill it close to top
6) remove the sprocket cover
7) make the banjo bolt on the clutch slave finger tight
8) remove the 3 screws that hold the clutch slave and remove it
9) remove the accordian rubber thingy
10) quickly transfer the clutch "Brake hose" to the new clutch slave
11) install clutch slave and 3 screws and lightly tighten the banjo bolt
12) immediately start bleeding the clutch system
13) now that you've bled the clutch, start double checking all screws and install the sprocket cover
14) bleed the clutch again

The vacuum pump proved invaluable yet again... highly recommended. I had also looked at ducatisuite's instructions for slave replacement, but those seemed more complicated with the reverse bleeding with the clutch slave in your hand, etc. I didn't have to do any of that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
is the installation the same for a 620?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
620 has wet clutch. sorry, no yoyodyne for you! :eek: same goes for 800 and many 750 owners, too. yoyo is for dry clutched 900s and the superbikes. not sure if it'll work on 1000DS motor... need to look at one.

:) chris

ps - no worry on the reprinting and thanks for the mad-wicked props! :)

M

·
0 Posts
Chris,

Which aftermarket slave do you recommend for wet cluthes.

thanks,
murry

·
Registered
455 Posts
620 has wet clutch. sorry, no yoyodyne for you! :eek: same goes for 800 and many 750 owners, too.
...wait a second. What am I missing here? My 2002 M750 with a wet clutch has a Yoyodyne clutch slave installed. I know Chris knows his stuff, so what's going on here?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why the Yoyo slave would be different for wet/dry clutches...

I Have the same Evoluzione clutch slave on my wet clutch M750, my dry clutch 888, and Laura's dry clutch M900.

Evo lists the same p/n's for all models and all years. (although the `97 M750 had that weird clutch slave built into the clutch side engine cover like the Pantah, so it obviously wouldn't work for that)

http://www.evoluzione.net/vitem90041.htm

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
many 750 owners, too.
Are you saying some 750's came with dry clutches?

Looking at the Evoluzione piece, Motowheels says it's dry clutch only, but the Evoluzione site says it fits all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the pre 98 M750s and the M600s had the internal clutch slave. Mine has the external clutch slave. Lance at Ducati Suite has installed the Evoluzione unit on his 98 M750. Not sure about which models, other than the M900s and larger, that have or do not have a dry clutch. The 98 M750 is a wet clutch.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No dry-clutch 750 Monsters from the factory....or so the story goes. Some folks have done a retrofit, but IIRC it's a major deal.

The Yoyodyne site shows a '00 and before model, and then a '01 and later model.

I have no clue what the difference is....

M

·
0 Posts
Both slave cylinders fit all bikes with external slave cylinders.

Early bikes had a shorter rod. The motowheels/evo use a spacer so the slave cylinder is the same.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
ahhhh, see, i thought that all the wet clutch'd bikes had internal clutch slave cylinders. soooooooooo that means that if you've got an external clutch slave, then the yoyo will work for you!

:) chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts