Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sound like a good save [clap]

My fiance and I were on a ride this summer to a conference on our STs' all loaded down with camping gear, clothes, etc for a week.  We go to get off the slab and when I go to grab the brake at the end of the exit ramp, I realize my hand has fallen asleep; not good  :p  So I grab a bit too much. He is coming up behind me and sees that I'm about to go over to the right.  So he thinks that if pulls up next to me he can catch me.  Wrong!!  We both end up going over at the bottom of the ramp with a semi pulling up behind us.  We must have been quite the spectacle to him.  We were both okay and the bikes just have more character now.  ::) Hard cases make good frame sliders. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Day one of my of buying my bike.....(This was my FZR not my monster).... just signed the paperwork. Walked out and got on the bike, since it had been forever that I had been on a bike, I decided to run it up and down the side road and parking lot of the building before I left. Apparently I was sooo nervous of trashing the bike that I decided to take a break for a sec. I pulled up in the parking lot where my then boyfriend, my best friend, and the salesman were waiting for me. I pulled up the sloped parking spot and put my feet down.... well I'm short and my toes touched, but I wasn't used to the breaking and when I stopped, I pulled the break too hard and the bike lunged forward and when it bounced back I lost my footing and down went the bike with my leg under it. With the 3 of them standing there trying not to laugh and hollering "oh my god!" at the same time prompted all the other sales guys and mechanics to come running out to help. I pulled myself out from under it, they helped me pick it up, I brushed myself off unshaken at this piont and said, "Ok then, now that we've got that out of the way, lets go home!" They all stood there gawking at me like "are you kidding?" I brushed it off and said a little bruise isn't going to stop me and we left. They followed me home in the car thinking I was going to ride about 20 mph home - yeah right.... seems after the fear leaves you from crashing you suddenly remember how to ride.... go figure! [laugh]

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
hey bunny... good to see you posting up again :)

there is something about the audience... the all eyes are on you thing.

i've never gotten used to it, i'm always nervous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yeah been a busy year.... but nice to see u checkin in - finally got a place of our own and a new home for our ducs.... now, to just get mine running right and I'll be set for the season :) .... another annoying but embarassing thing is me trying to keep my bike from stalling on a frigid cold day bringin her home. Sitting at a red light holding the throttle to keep it from stalling and having the woman next to me in the nice warm car gawking at me - can't tell if it was the "chick on a bike" thing, the "omg its friggin freezing out" look, or the "oooo! look at the sexy bike" look - either way it was rather weird looks that I got all the way home. lol

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Had my bike two days. I bought it on the spur of the moment from a guy who bought it wrecked from the states and rebuilt it. An S2R 1000. I had no licence, no gear and no insurance. I had never ridden a motorcycle before in my life.

So I thought I'd just take around the block a few times to see what it was like ;D Well I made it about 6 blocks before I dropped it. I hesitated going through an intersection and grabbed the brakes. It was great..really..ripped my jeans, busted up my knee. ::) After my boyfriend at the time helped me get the bike up he convinced me to keep riding, so I wouldn't be nervous for next time (the fall off the horse-get right back on idea)
So on my way home I was pulled over by two undercover cop cars. Suprisingly though they let me off with no tickets.
I pushed the bike home. And it would be 6 months,( i bought the bike in the winter-waited 'til summer) a riding course, and full set of gear before I rode again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finding out the hard way that Ducs don't land every well on dirt.

After riding a swooping long canyon in Ojai .......I was approaching a [dirt] turnout to stop with the group for a rest and to take in the views, I bit it because I used "both" brakes. Just so you know you're only to apply rear brakes. Thank goodness only minimal damage to me and my Duckie. I was wearing all leathers and I just bought slidders two days before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
ducpainter said:
Had my bike for maybe a month.

I parked it and went to visit with a few friends.

Came back to the bike....hit the starter button...started right up

and chased it into the ditch because I had left it in gear.

Never let go and managed to prevent damage, but I really felt stupid.
[laugh] I've done that one! Only it was with a suicide sidestand. I avoided all damage by diving under the bike. No damage to either. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
6 Posts
man i was embarrassed

Well right after i got my license and had about 300 street miles on my M750. I took my bike to work for the first time. I parked the bike right in front of the office.. on the way out a few of the guys wanted to see the bike. I prepare to warm up the bike and gear up so I place my brand new HJC clear coated carbon fiber helmet on the seat, put the key in the ignition, flip the kill switch (all this while standing next to the bike) and press the starter button

what did i forget to do????

put it in neutral!!!!! the bike lurched forward about two feet flipping up the kick stand and launching my brand new helmet into the air and rolling down the street. With cat like reflexes i was able to jump under the falling bike and muscle it up right before the handlebar hit the ground. I wont do that again-!! The bike was fine but my ego and the helmet had a few scratches.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts