Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
On one of my first group rides, the riders behind me cought up with me at the intersection and let me know my butt crack was hanging out. Curse the big butt and small hips syndrome!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'll trade you - you take my stomach inches and I'll take your butt inches!! I guess we're never happy - darn those advertising execs!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
lauramonster said:
I'll trade you - you take my stomach inches and I'll take your butt inches!! I guess we're never happy - darn those advertising execs!
Lol, women are never happy, are they. I just need a solution to butt jiggle for my halloween costume. If I HAD no butt it would work! [laugh]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, other than the usual first time learning in a parking lot experience where I was starting to get used to speed, got over confident, and couldn't slow down fast enough to make my turn, therefore sliding out into the grass - here is my story that made me feel stupid:

A little back story: I was an idiot, and trusted my landlord on a place I could park my motorcycle in the city. BIG mistake, because it got towed, costing me a wopping $300 to get it out. Bastards. No ticket though, just some company complained about it I guess.

Now, I was heading back from a trip to Duluth, MN (this is shortly after the tow) and things are going great. Cruising down the highway and making great time. Then all of a sudden I hear this grinding noise, and my bike starts to wobble :eek:. I grab the clutch and hit the kill switch and stabalize the bike. Lucky for me, this happens right at an exit ramp. So I coast almost to the top of the ramp. I look to the left and see an auto shop across the bridge on the otherside of the HWY. So here I am, trying not to get hit by exiting cars, pushing my bike up the ramp, and attempting to maneuver the bike through a traffic light and over a bridge, that has a tight little median. Im walking up on the sidewalk, pushing the bike that is down on the median. There are trucks and semi's and people all over the place. Then once I make it across the bridge, I have to cross the street. Thank god it was down hill, so I hop on and coast to the left lane and proceed to wind it around the little side streets to the shop. A really nice guy who works there and rides, offers to help me out, because I still don't know that much about motorcycles other than to ride them. We check my oil = bone dry. I'm thinking that it drained out when it got towed and like an idiot, I didn't check this thing before I left on my 3 hour drive. Pretty much the bike is toast. So, embarrassed and feeling stupid, I'm stranded about 2 hours out. I call around, get lucky to find some friends of the family live about 20 min away and have a truck and come to help me out. The husband is even working in the very town I crashed in. So I just get the lecture from my Dad (whom I called to get advice) and spend time explaining what happened to the Motorcycle mechanic so he could try to fix it. *Duhoi* :-[ Boy did I feel sheepish.

The bike ended up not getting fixed, cuz it would have cost almost $2000 to tear down the engine to fix it. But in all this trouble came some good. My 2000 Suzuki GS500E broken = 2003 Ducati Monster620 dark!! ;D And now I am the happiest lady around, cuz the Duc is a sexy beast 8) compared to the stupid suzuki. Yeah, I'm planning to really take care of this baby.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I never would have thought to check the oil after a bike being towed, good to know. God forbid my bike ever gets towed, but if it does I'll definantly check the oil.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oil...towed?
I'm not making the connection. even if they just toss the bike on it's side on a flat bed (god forbid), I'm just not following why you think the oil would drain out. ::) :-\

Anyway, all you ever need to do to embarrass yourself is forget to put the kick stand up one day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
or the story I was told last night...

Leave it in neutral after parking on ever so slightly angled concrete... even putting kickstand down won't save you from: "uh... whats that sliding/grinding noise.... OH CRAP!"

luckily my only two rather embarrassing moments so far are:

trying to start up hill in 2nd, stall... try again... stall... about 4 cars go around me... Thinking to self "what is going on? Is she broken?" finally gun it and pull away from light... then notice on way over hill... huh.. she feels like... yeah... this is definetely second... next stop light... everything fine... hehehe... oops... dork-a-sauraus Rex! I ALWAYS clutch in, drop it into first at lights so all I can figure is when i was doing my little weasel around the cars getting out of the driveway I bumped it into second on the way out... *sigh* so now I make SURE I'm REALLY in 1st at the lights ;) DOUBLE sure...

last night.. on way out of hanging with my climbing friends... another guy rode a cruiser but everyone was oogling mine... some teenage looking fetus's (I mean boys) well, they musta been 21 cause they WERE in the bar, came out and were like "that is so awesome! Nice bike! blah blah blah.." I am ready to pull away.. say my goodbyes... and... put it in gear... clunk. Yup. kickstand still down kill switch :)

but the best/worst part... the fetus's commentary.... "Dude! Even though you stalled it, it's still awesome!"

me thinking: ...but.. but... I didn't stall it... it was the kickstand thing... really! ah nevermind.... ;) Pulled visor down a little further, put up the stand and rode off into the starlight... Thank god they didn't cheer or anything...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cookie said:
Just the usual teenaged boys in a car riding along the girl on a bike on the highway stories (well, around here some of those are more scary than funny). It's funny because I happen to be quite a bit older than them, so in my middle aged manners, I find it a little amusing.

Except for the time I got home and realized my jacket had ridden up, and my low riding pants had ridden down a bit too much.

Sigh. Still have a helluva suntan on the top quarter of my bum... :eek:
That's reminds me of what I did one day at the track not too terribly long ago. I live in Alabama, and the temps this summer were brutal. So everytime I would pull in from doing a few laps on the track I would undo my pants, ditch my kidney belt and shrug off my chest protector (we're talking mx here, so LOTS of gear). Anyway, one of those times I went back out, I got all suited back up, amd toodled off to work on a couple jumps. I did the section in front of the stands a couple times, and my second time hitting the last step up jump I noticed my pants felt awfully loose. Eh, must be the new kidney belt, it is a good bit more snug than my old one. So I keep going, do another little jump and then a quick downhill into a hairpin turn. Ok now it's not just my imagination, as I sit down kind of hard for the turn, my pants slide UP a noticable amount. I pull over back where I think I am hidden behind some trees and look down....I forgot to fasten my pants! Ever so nonchalantly I attempt to zip and buckle my pants. Fortunately I also hadn't tucked in my jersey, so to this day I'm not sure how much the 40 or 50 people sitting in the stands could see. That jersey could have been a blessing or a curse....Oops....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Neenja Mastah said:
Lol, women are never happy, are they. I just need a solution to butt jiggle for my halloween costume. If I HAD no butt it would work! [laugh]
Control top pantyhose?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Oh Em Gee... I have the embarrassing moment. I was at "The Spot" which is where people from dcsportbikes.net gather on Thursday evenings in the summer. I was pulling up, and there were probably about 60 bikes parked there already and people milling about kickin' tires. I've never been a rockstar in parking lots, and it's more difficult when you have moving people and bikes. They were squeezing six bikes into each space. Well, that means it's pretty freakin' tight. I figure I'll be a badass and roll into the spot. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. I got down to a dead crawl, steering locked, and over I go. It was one of those moments where time stood still for a moment. If I was Arnold screamin, "RUUUUUUN TO THE CHOPPAH!!!!" I might have been able to save it. Alas, I'm a mere mortal and couldn't stop my bike from tipping once it started to go over.

There were two things that made it even better. My helmet. It went into the knee of the guy standing next to the spot I wanted to go into. He didn't even realize what had happened. The second was my #$%@^&* pants. My left pant leg hiked up juuuust high enough to expose some nice tender skin to some searingly hot header. *sizzle* ("Why does my leg hurt? What's that burning smell?") Yeah. OWWWWIEEEEE!!!! But I'm a (wo)man. I can take it. That was bonehead choice number 2. It was a really nasty second degree burn, with a small area in the center of a full thickness burn.

So now I have a reminder to tiptoe if I'm trying to turn at such slow speeds. I just wasn't meant for those police motorcycle rodeos!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The most embarrassing moment was when I stalled it at a 90 degrees turn, down from a pavement.. Front wheel down on the road, back wheel up on the pavement.. The frontwheel all turned over to the right..
No chance to save it! And I had to hurry to get it up, since cars were coming at me from both sides..
But there was no one around to help. I had to go into the bar next to me, and without even thinking about it I commanded a couple of guys of to help me pick it up... :-X

"You, and you! You have to come help me pick up my bike!"
They did, and one of them told me he had done the same thing and wished me luck. Cute..

I`m still scared to do that turn on a cold bike..
No damage though! ;D

I`ve also dropped the SV650s on gravel (the bike was way too big for me..!). (couple of scrapes)

I`ve dropped the monster on the kickstand (on soft, mushy clay-gravel stuff). But I was nowhere near..!
(had to exchange the clutch as it shifted far back in between the kickstand. Couldn`t get it in gear at all, so I had to get my hubby to go buy a new one and come rescue me (I was far into some woods..!)

I`ve also had an accident on dieselspilling, but that wasn`t embarrassing, just annoying...!
200 meters from my house.. ::)
A large dent in the tank (the handle was bent into the tank..), wrecked handlebars, wrecked brake etc.
I was mad for a week.. At least I got somebody to come clean it up right away, so it wouldn`t happen to anyone else...!
A guy helped me get the bike out of the way, I picked up all the loose parts, got it started and then i hopped back on and drove to work, the bike all crooked and feeling weird.. I didn`t know by then that the handle had shiftet 5 cm.. The front brake did work, so I just hurried on..(instead of driving home getting the car instead! Stupid...)
Days later I went to the doctor because of pains in the back and legs..
Heavy meds, but now I`m fine! :)

AND I`ve burnt my hand on a bike... :p
Not very pleasureable... and kinda embarrassing..
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/Shortybebeh/brannsaar.jpg

I`ve had a couple of drops in class too, but at least that bike had a protecting metal "cage" around it..! [laugh]

jeeez, it`s not that fun being just 160 cm...! ::) :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hah hah! I have that same fear... I was getting my tires changed today and the salesman tossed me the keys to the demon spawn that was out front... Otherwise known as a shiny new RED 848... Offered to get 'the paperwork'. What temptation. I WAS in all my gear... I opted to just sit on her and listen instead... (it was getting dark and rush hour traffic... I don't mind riding MY bike in it, but that 12K evil temptress... no way in helll!) Yes. I am a chicken when it comes to bikes i don't own as well... hehehe

n2f said:
Ha - that's funny. My secret biggest fear (with regard to this topic) would have to be dropping a bike on a demo ride.

I went in to the dealership the other day to have my tires changed and they asked if I'd like to have a new bike to cruise around on for the hour or so it would take to swap out the tires... I thought about it for a while and then decided to pass.

What a whimp I know, but I've just got a "thing" about riding bikes I don't own. What are the chances :-\

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
ljj said:
Hah hah! I have that same fear... I was getting my tires changed today and the salesman tossed me the keys to the demon spawn that was out front... Otherwise known as a shiny new RED 848... Offered to get 'the paperwork'. What temptation. I WAS in all my gear... I opted to just sit on her and listen instead... (it was getting dark and rush hour traffic... I don't mind riding MY bike in it, but that 12K evil temptress... no way in helll!) Yes. I am a chicken when it comes to bikes i don't own as well... hehehe
That's the very reason why I never rode my bike before I bought it. [cheeky]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Had my bike for maybe a month.

I parked it and went to visit with a few friends.

Came back to the bike....hit the starter button...started right up

and chased it into the ditch because I had left it in gear.

Never let go and managed to prevent damage, but I really felt stupid.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Crowded gas station + trying too look cool on my new bike + leaning the bike over and trying to get off before the putting side stand down = rolling across the ground, looking back at my bike, feeling like an ass... Luckily some really nice guy walked over to help my get my bike back up and said, "don't feel bad...I've done the same thing." Nice sentiment but the old pride still took a hard shot.. :-[

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
ducpainter said:
Had my bike for maybe a month.

I parked it and went to visit with a few friends.

Came back to the bike....hit the starter button...started right up

and chased it into the ditch because I had left it in gear.

Never let go and managed to prevent damage, but I really felt stupid.
Ouch!

I did something not quite as bad but still as embarrassing to me.

I went out to start my bike yesterday, got it off the stand and pulled it out of the garage. Hit the starter, nothing happened. I'm thinking "crap, battery's dead." So I roll it back in, back on the stand and hook up the charger.

I go out there this morning, battery is charged, pull it off the stand, roll it out of the garage and try to start it again. Nothing happens. I stare at the instruments for a few seconds and then realize what happened.

I'd left it in gear the entire time.

It's times like this that I'm glad no one was watching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Went out to ride last weekend with 2 other friends. Went into the gas station and stopped. Friend pulled up with her Harley just next to me. the fact that my bike is a bit too high for me, I usually have to get off the bike then engage the side stand. So, I got off but friend's bike was a bit too near so I leaned into her leg. She felt the hot exhaust and and jumpped off. Me, what else?? Ended up putting my bike down and sitting on her dropped Harley. So 2 bikes and me on the ground. Couple of guys around came to help lift the bikes and we all had a great laugh. It was embarrasing indeed but we went on and enjoyed a 200km ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My last bike-went on an off road ride. Just get a quick lecture on how to stand up and ride. Instructors take us down this road with really deep sand pockets, and they are flying. Never really stood up on my bike before and rode, let alone rode in sand. I am just to the right of the girl in front of me, she starts slowing down to the point that she just plain tips over, still holding onto the grips, sitting on the seat.

Well I can't stop in time, and nowhere to go but the trees, so had no choice but to ride over her and her bike. Yep, thats right, OVER her!!! I almost cleared it too, except that her handlebars got stuck in the motor and I went down too. So now she is down with TWO bikes on top of her. It was so ridiculous. I felt like such a schmuck. Several people had to lift and rotate my bike off of hers as her left grip was wedged in near my front sprocket. Her bike was wasted as well as her. Her bike had a tire track on it from the rear rack over the seat and across her tank.

So of course everyone who saw her bike all messed up asked her what happened. She would tell her story and then point over at me. Yeah, I got to see that the ENTIRE weekend. Ya, I was the "one' who ran her over. Overheard her talking smack a couple of times too. I have never felt so stupid. If only she had just jumped off her bike!!!!! :-[ :-[

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not you fault, you dealt with it as quickly as you could.

You've learned something I have - don't ride near those who can't ride. Safely pass them or ride two or three people behind them. let the 'better' riders show their expertise and avoid them.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Oh god, this one still makes me cringe...

So, Bf and I are riding the twisties, and we are heading home after a great ride. I am on the Gixxer, and he is on this new street legal KTM he bought like two weeks before. We are stopped at an intersection side by side, about a foot apart. The light turns green and we start going. About halfway through the intersection this van comes hauling a$$ up to the light that is red (perpendicular to our street) and it is pretty obvious he has no intention of stopping and is going to turn right in front of us. I become fixated on the van, and I guess I must have subconsciously drifted to the left in the lane to make more room if he turned. I suddenly turn my head and look straight ahead, and the Bf is stopped right in front of me to let the stupid van make his illegal turn. Too late I swerve to the right, but I clip the back of the KTM tire with my front one. Bf goes flying off his bike into the street, KTM goes down. I felt SOOOOO bad. Gixxer manages to stay upright, and I never touch the ground... I just looked over to my left to see bf in the street.

Good news is everyone was ok. Other good news is that it is a lot cheaper to go down on a KTM than a Duc... I bought him a few plastic pieces for $80 and the bike is as good as new. Bad news was that it was brand new, and I actually did a bit of damage to the Gixxer even though she never touched the ground (cracked front fender, cracked upper fairing, scratched left fairing on the sticker). DOH! :-[

41 - 60 of 69 Posts