Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, this is easy. I had just started to ride, only about 250 miles under my belt, headed out of town on Labor Day Weekend (with my bf) on my beater Nighthawk for my first big trip on a moto. Not two blocks from my house I narrowly missed becoming road kill when some nitwit in a car didn't stop for the red light until she was already IN the intersection. In the same place I was supposed to be. I exectuted a near perfect brake and swerve (just like in the class), and survived with only my nerves shredded.
No, that's not the embarrassing part. But it might help to explain why, less than an hour later, I pulled over to the side of the freeway at a big intersection, (205 split), not sure which way to go, needed to look at a map. I carefully pulled well off the VERY busy freeway - we're talking three lanes of stop and go traffic - and put my foot down. Way down. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. I failed to notice, or take into account, the steep slope of the shoulder down off the roadway. By the time my foot hit the ground, there was no going back, and all I could do was hop out of the way as she slowly tipped over. This is why your first bike should already have lots of dents and scratches, so the ones you add won't show.  ;)
I was just mortified, standing there in front of the Entire Bay Area going up to Yosemite, with gas dribbling out of the tank... That's me, the hot biker babe, with the bike wrong side up on the side of the freeway. If the embarrassment quotient goes up dependent on how many people see it happen... ow.  :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
The good thing to come from reading all these stories is that you know you're not the only one :)

Too many embarrassing incidents on my GPX to recount them all, so will just pick my favourite since having my monster.

After a leisurely lunch and a couple of bevvies at a pub one Saturday afternoon, my mate & I decide it's time to head back into Sydney to go visit our preferred bike accessories retailer. Gearing up, turned over the bikes, all sounds good with the engines burbling away.....pub patrons are watching, admiring the bikes and of course the people who own them.......and then it's time to reverse out of the gravel carpark - foot slips in a deeper patch of gravel, engine revs with the death grip i have on the throttle, bike leans to the right and hits the deck! Foot peg scrapes all the way down the inside of my right calf, leaving a HUGE lumpy bruise for a couple of weeks and my ego was a little....well....dented.

Anyway, my mate helped me pick up GG and we resumed the process of getting out of the pub carpark as quickly and safely as possible - so embarrassed!!! Little bit of skin off the footpeg and handlebar, but nothing else. At least none of the patrons laughed - not loud enough for me to hear anyway. Maybe the tattoos scared them......or they were sad for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I too have a bad driveway like DuCaTini ;D
And I agree with Bekkstar reading this makes me feel not so bad about these incidents I read them and thought WOW I'm not the only one in the world that has done something embrassing PHEW!!!!

Well our Driveway is about 800metres long gravel, windy and has a very steep hill section in it. I agree that all the training you do is on a nice flat paved/tar surface. I had ridden my 1st bike up and down our drive only as far as the hill, never went down our hill, did not like it not one little bit, prior to taking first bike course. OKAY learnt that front brakes and gravel do not mix, as I fell off on a corner in shorts and T shirt, grazed elbow, knee etc ego not too bad as only my husband and 2 friends there to witness it Thank goodness ;D

Then I got my Learners YES, thought I have to kick this hill, like DuCaTini my husband would ride my bike down the hill then walk back up and retreive his own. Well he informed me after doing this for sometime that this was not happening anymore, if I wanted to ride I had to kick this HILL thing, fair enough!!! :eek: sScared out of my brain I had one scotch to get courage up [thumbsup] then off I went fully decked out in all safety gear YES I did it ;D.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The guy who owns this coffee shop says there are two kinds of riders - those who have dropped their bike and those who haven't dropped their bike YET.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
nina said:
The guy who owns this coffee shop says there are two kinds of riders - those who have dropped their bike and those who haven't dropped their bike YET.
wrong. sorry i have to disagree, but it's "... and those who lie about never having dropped their bikes." ;)

how about almost dropping the bike on the test ride leaving the parking lot of the dealership? in front of several of my friends who had come with me. sheesh. the dealership was kinda in a hole and it sat on the side of a four lane highway. so i stop to see who's coming. since i was pulling up at an angle, when i put my foot down, it slipped on the extreme slope and the oily tarmac. it was real hot in South Alabama, which turns the tar to oil. and i was wearing cowboy boots. nice combo, i know. i barely held the bike up, i think some serious adrenaline kicked in.

see, it doesn't just happen to women riders. we all drop our bikes sooner or later. ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ha - that's funny. My secret biggest fear (with regard to this topic) would have to be dropping a bike on a demo ride.

I went in to the dealership the other day to have my tires changed and they asked if I'd like to have a new bike to cruise around on for the hour or so it would take to swap out the tires... I thought about it for a while and then decided to pass.

What a whimp I know, but I've just got a "thing" about riding bikes I don't own. What are the chances :-\

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looking at your profile photo "wimp" is not the first reaction that comes into my head! It's not even in the top 100.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
i'd have to agree with Nina. wimp is not what i think of when looking at any of your pics, lol.

yeah, and i had several friends standing there watching me. i mean, i didn't even get out of the parking lot. and of course the bike was a full fairing model that would've cost $1000 to repair if i had dropped it, and i didn't even own it yet.

N2F, in that sense, i'm very much like you. i hate riding bikes i don't own. i figure Murphy has my number, and he's just waiting to mess with me, lol. now gimme an Alfa, and i'll be happy to drive it around and give it an "Italian" tune-up for anybody. ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ducatissimo said:
i'd have to agree with Nina.  wimp is not what i think of when looking at any of your pics, lol.

yeah, and i had several friends standing there watching me.  i mean, i didn't even get out of the parking lot.  and of course the bike was a full fairing model that would've cost $1000 to repair if i had dropped it, and i didn't even own it yet.

N2F, in that sense, i'm very much like you.  i hate riding bikes i don't own.  i figure Murphy has my number, and he's just waiting to mess with me, lol.  now gimme an Alfa, and i'll be happy to drive it around and give it an "Italian" tune-up for anybody;)

Sometimes, that's just what they need  >:D

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
n2f said:
Sometimes, that's just what they need  >:D
don't we all? oops... :-[

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had just gotten my big ole Beemer R850R and was about to ride it around Seattle for the first time ever. It was about 2am or so and the rain had finally stopped. I went out and rode all over downtown Seattle and Belltown. Even though I could barely touch the ground on that bike, I did great going up and down all the big hills. I was fine until I got stuck at a red light on a stretch of road with a rather severe righthand slant. The road was wet and my foot started sliding downhill. I fought and fought to keep the bike upright but I was slowly doing the splits as my right foot slid from under me. There was one other car out, as luck would have it - a red Blazer with a couple of young black guys with southern-ish accents. As I laid the bike down gently by doing the splits over it, they came bounding out of their SUV to help pick the bike up. I was mad and cursing and kicking the tires in anger. One of the guys kept scolding me, "Giiirrrrlll...yo little bitty self ain't go no BIDness on that big ole motorcycle. Giiirrrl...that bike too big for yo little bitty self and you gonna get hurt if you don't go home. " I kept assuring them that I was ok and that I was cool to ride the bike. I took off and putted around town some more, but the guys kept following me around. Finally I pulled over in a parking lot and lifted my shield..and said "WHAT?"

"Giiirrrrl, you just need to go home. You ain't got no BIDness on that big ole motorcycle and you gonna hurt yo little self if you don't go home. You just ain't got no BIDNESS on that bike!!!" I finally just said ok and went home. I figure they were my guardian angels following me around or something. It's just funny that my guardian angels sound like Chris Rock. [laugh]

I did the same thing on that bike when I moved to San Francisco and there was gravel on the ground...there was just no holding up a 600 lb top-heavy bike on a sidways slant with poor footing, and there was no way I could pick that thing up. I blocked SF rush hour traffic til some dude came and picked up the bike for me. Talk about embarrassed! After that, I sold the BMW and got my Monster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes!

It finally happenned! I dropped my bike. So I'm really into my bike now. I've chopped the tail, got hindsight mirrors on it, little carbon fibre bikini fairing, and I get my carbon fibre high termignoni pipes put on with a drop to a 14t front sprocket. YES! So I picked it up on Wednesday. I get on and am instantly almost brought to tears by the smooth delivery of the new extra 8hp or so and the beautiful growl from the pipes. I've just put on my new Alpinestars boots because I scared myself when I scraped my old non-slider equipped boot on a ramp the other day. I'm feeling good. I go through my favorite tight twisty road through the woods. I'm carving it up I think. I'm on top of the world! I'm really feeling like a biker. Competent, cool, da bomb.

So I get down into Ellicott city and stop at a light in the middle of town. Well, my stiffer boots don't quite flex at the ankle like the old ones and as low as the monster is, it's still a little stretch to get my feet fully down. Left foot on leaf..... starts slipping out...... bike's going over......and I basically do a very undignified hopping slow motion lay down of my bike in front of all the traffic watching. CRAP. Luckily, the other modification I had done was to put a set of cycle cat frame sliders on which protected everything. What pissed me off was that at least 30 or 40 cars with men in them passed me by while I stood embarrassed and annoyed in the road and only a middle aged woman actually offered to help me pick it up. I had to go into a bar nearby to get a guy to help me pick it up. The age of chivalry is truly dead!

Maybe I'll consider the lowering kit. And a restrictor kit for my ego. :(

Murph

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
WoW Murph!
I think that wet leaf would have done the same to you, new boots or not.
You are lucky! Makes me consider getting some frame sliders for me & mine.
Melissa

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok this is a little embarrassing but I'm going to tell ya anyway. I have only had my bike for about two weeks now. So needless to say not to many mods yet.
My husband and I went for a ride yesterday and we go to a place we always take a break at. I wear glasses so I have to take them off to take my helmet off. Put them on as soon as the helmets off. Cant wear contacts because of surgery done to left eye.
We go to leave and I take the damn things off and put them in the rear fender thingy, put on the helmet and gloves, Not even thinking of the glasses, get on the bike, start it up and go. I get down the road a ways and I'm thinking to myself WTF, I cant see crap. Go figure, So I pull over to the side of the road and look back to see if they were still in the back. Nope no luck there.
Husband comes back my way and we went back to look for them. They were right where I pulled out onto the street. Thank goodness no one ran over them. So now I have a $380.00 pair of glasses with some nice size scratches. I was more pissed at myself than embarrassed but thought I would share. Now to go get some new lenses. Hence the mods being taking that darn rear off. Then there wont be a place to set glasses on. LOL

·
Registered
348 Posts
lam695 said:
<snip>
Hence the mods being taking that darn rear off. Then there wont be a place to set glasses on. LOL
Hah! Finally someone finds a practical reason for a tailchop!!! [clap]

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are many, however this one sticks in my mind, as it just happened a couple days ago............

I've only had my monster for less than a week. I had been riding a little ninja 250. Still trying to get used to the clutch and the fact that this bike is geared so much higher than the little ninja. My husband (he rides a R1) and his best friend (rides a R6) and I are getting ready to go for a nice little ride. We live on kind of a busy street and the cops in the area are always just looking for a reason to give bikers a hard time...........Well we are getting all geared up and ready to go, when we notice that a local cop is parked right in front of the house doing radar checks! Great! So we are all discussing how nice and easy we are going to take off out of the driveway........ make sure our shields are down....... all of the normal stuff so we don't give him a reason to give us a hard time. So we all are stopped at the top of the driveway (driveway is a slight incline, nothing major though.......I've taken off from here tons of times no problems!) My husband takes off nice and easy........... Chris takes off nice and easy........ oh yes, we are safe! I go to take off........... not so nice and easy. Bike stalls............ I start to do that slow motion falling over thing.......... very ungraceful for sure! Yep, now the bike is completely on the ground. (very minor damage by the way) Guys are long gone, it's just me trying desperatley to lift my bike back up, and the cop in my front yard. Finally this very large cop gets out of his car and comes and helps me pick up my bike.......... I've never been so embarrased in my life, and I'm just waiting for him to ask me for my license............ I just wanted to crawl under a rock and hide.......... lucky for me I had a helmet on and he coulnd't see how mortified I was...........

·
Registered
247 Posts
So glad i'm not the only one mortified when I dropped the bike...

The bf Seabass put me on his (now mine) 695 in a parking lot. After a couple of stalls, I was able to ride the friction point in a big loop. I was all happy and giddy and grinning when I came up to a stop next to him. Put my legs down to tip toe and ...... thud. Bike went down on the left side. I have no clue what happened, I just remember laying on the ground thinking, OMG he's going to kill me, I dropped his precious. Thank goodness he's such a great guy. He was more worried about me than the bike. He picked me up, told me to quit crying, and get back on the bike. After swearing to fix anything that was scratched (only the end of the handlebar), I hopped back on. I'm so glad I haven't dropped it yet in front of the general public. I might just be so mortified that I freeze like a deer in the headlights. "If you don't move, they can't see you!" [laugh]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love embarrassing stories, cause at least if you made it through to this end of it, and can tell the tale, it didn't end too badly.
I have had lots of humbling moments on my bikes...but one that really stands out is this:
I was working at a BMW bike dealership and talking to the owner about how different the Bimmer's were from what I was used to. I've pretty much been strictly off road/mx, but I'd been riding about 5-6 years at this point, so I'm not a complete noob. The owner suggests I take out a couple of the used bikes we have and see what they are like. A chance to ride a BMW? Sure!! So I hop on a GS650, and happily go toodling around Vanderbilt and the nearby neighborhood. No mishaps, it's not too terribly alien after my dirt bikes. I come back totally enthused and excited, so the boss suggests I take the R1150R out. 1150? Hmm, excluding my cousin's Fatboy, this will be the biggest bike I have ever ridden solo. Not one to back down from a challenge I strap my helmet back on, take off (albiet very cautiously) and head back to the neighborhoods. So far so good, but that dry clutch is VERY different! I get to a four way stop and of course there's way more traffic than normal. It's my turn and LURCH, I stall. I giggle, restart the bike, try to go...LURCH...stall again. I grin sheepishly and begin to wish I had my tinted faceshield. This time I can't find neutral, I think the temp inside my helmet just rose 10 degrees....finally get it...and LURCH... stall. By now almost everyone else has gone on, excpet this one guy in a red truck who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the show, and of course the poor soul who had the misfortune of being behind me. If that guy wasn't running late before, he probably is now. I finally get off and just push the bike out of the way so the car behind me can go. Red Truck is really laughing it up by now. THREE more attempts later I finally get the bike going and I'm off again. I'm kind of shy, so having some random guy using me as his lunch break sitcom most definitely did not help things. Oh well.... it was a really fun bike to ride. When I could get it to go! LOL

·
Registered
415 Posts
Had gotten my bike a few weeks previous and had my learner's but no license yet. Decided to take it out in the parking lot around my building. Nice - lots of flat ground, stop sign to practice at, etc. Great. It's July - it's hot as hell but I've got my aerostich on, boots, helmet, full gauntlet. Everything. Come up out of the parking garage - ok, not great. Do a slow loop around the lot - so far, so good. Go over to the Stop sign.

It's right by Famous Daves. OK, come to a stop - good - manage to get my feet down. Start off and hit gravel (I think - I"m still not sure) at way too fast. Low side. The bike and I both slide across the parking lot.

Two Harley guys that had been drinking beer on the back patio of Famous Daves come over to help me. *sigh*

Start to get going again and I tip over - really not sure what's happened now. Take off everything and call friends for help. Put the bike away and refused to ride for months, i was just silly spooked by it.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts