Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really enjoy hearing where everyone likes to ride. I'm in my first year of riding and trying to figure out some good routes. I really enjoy riding up in North Georgia, but it's a major time commitment to get up there, ride around, and come back. And I don't really enjoy riding on 285 and 75 and all that. I live in Vinings. A 2 or 3 hour route would be good for me.

I'll recommend a couple of roads, but I'm sure these are well known to people who've ridden a lot in Georgia:

SR 60 from Morganton to Suches - twisty and pretty - and has Two Wheels Only, a motorcycle hangout with pretty good burgers.

136 from Fairmout through Talking Rock to Dawsonville. Not as twisty as 60, but still very fun and extremely pretty. There's a nice place to pull over and enjoy the view near mile marker 16. (Highway 53 goes sort of parallel to 136. I rode both today and 136 is way better.)

It's very pretty up there now. The leaves are beautiful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I usually follow the guys that know all the roads, but generally they stop at T.W.O. for lunch. We're also ventured out to Helen. I don't know the road numbers though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have some local roads that I enjoy in the NW side of town...

Short loops near my house: Dabbs Bridge Rd, Green Ridge Rd, Lead Mnt Rd / Bates Rd, Paga Mine Rd... all in between Acworth, Cartersville/Emerson, Euharlee/Plant Bowen Area...

Longer loops in my area: Hwy 140 through Beasley Gap into Waleska, down 108, to 20, to Canton.. etc etc...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...74069,-84.552155&spn=0.608,1.005249&z=10&om=1

Here's a route I've done a few times from the Vinings area down to Newnan. It's mostly pleasant 2-lane roads. Newnan is actually a nice little town with a old city center, places to have lunch and nice old houses with sidewalked streets. I've enjoyed cruising around there before heading back. I go north on 16, then 5 and then take 166 east.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...973,-84.284363&spn=1.205399,2.010498&z=9&om=1

Here's a nice mountain run from Vinings to Blue Ridge, GA. Everything on this rout from Fairmount to Blue Ridge is really great. I just wish I could find a route from Vinings to White, GA that doesn't put me on 75 and doesn't take all day.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...41,-84.767761&spn=0.605781,1.005249&z=10&om=1

This shows an alternate route I've taken to get north from Vinings without getting on 285 or 75. It's OK, but too many stoplights. I would LOVE to know a good motorcycle route from Atlanta up to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On saturday I headed east from Atlanta on 78 past Stone Mountain, Loganville, Monroe and Madison and I have to say that route sucked.

Can anyone recommend good roads for riding on the east side of town?

·
Registered
638 Posts
1) Mulholland Dr. from 101 to La Brea at around 10 PM on a weeknight.
2) Mulholland Hwy/Latigo Canyon Rd. from Topanga Canyon down to PCH (with a stop at the Rock Store).
3) Montana State Hwy 89; from Belt, MT to White Sulphur Springs, MT. NICE high speed sweepers.
4) Palomar Mtn, South Grade Rd. Twisty Heaven.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
duccarlos said:
Doesn't it flatten out?
Yeah, I guess heading east toward Augusta it becomes mostly flat open areas with cotton fields - which isn't very exciting. And the road I took out there, 78, is just a bunch of traffic, stoplights and Hardees.

I wanted to stop in Madison, which is known for it's older homes and has a little town center with shops and stuff, but I was running short on time.

I'm still in search of a good 2 hour ride. Seems like the only good rides from Atlanta are 5 hours - up to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's what I've found - when I go up to the mountains I spend all day. I guess if I want to do a fun ride, I have to commit to all day, which I can't do regularly.

I can fit in a 2 hour ride fairly often - I just haven't found roads close in to the city that are good for riding. But it seems like going west from Atlanta is much better than going east for these shorter rides.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
mking said:
Yeah, that's what I've found - when I go up to the mountains I spend all day. I guess if I want to do a fun ride, I have to commit to all day, which I can't do regularly.

I can fit in a 2 hour ride fairly often - I just haven't found roads close in to the city that are good for riding. But it seems like going west from Atlanta is much better than going east for these shorter rides.
Go N. on 75 to Red Top Mnt Rd.

Google Map it -- look to the area on the west of Red Top Mnt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts