Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Cool idea, and I bet it works in a car, but when it is sunny out, there is no way you could see what is on the display on a motorcycle.

mitt

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Not even if you just leaned over it?
Have you ever tried using a camcorder, laptop, or digital camera with a lcd display outdoors? It is very hard to see the image displayed, even cupping your hand over the screen.

mitt

·
Registered
76 Posts
great idea, though only really useful when you are stopped at lights or when you are parking as you can block the sun to get the view.....it'll be too distracting whilst riding

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I would guess that black mesh is there as a method of making it possible to read the screen . . .

Anyone . . . anyone?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I would guess that black mesh is there as a method of making it possible to read the screen . . .

Anyone . . . anyone?
By black mesh are you referring to the carbon fiber shell that is holding the screen? I don't think the black mesh covers the screen.

mitt

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
as little as many of us seem to think of terreblanche, he
did this on the prototype MH 900 e .... no mirrors in
favor of a rear-looking camera. needless to say, it
didn't make it into production.

·
Registered
669 Posts
what tail light kit is that? that's kinda nice.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Doesn't help much with the blind spots.

Looks like it will only show what's directly behind you. You can only see so much glancing over your shoulder. I'll take mirrors thank you.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
a friend of mine tried this with an old camcorder.. (removed the flip-open screen and mounted it by the gauges... ) camera pointed to the rear.

It worked pretty good at night.. couldn't see squat in the daytime..

I've seen a manufacturer that makes this for a few hundred dollars.. but I decided against it because it would be very difficult to see the screen clearly in daylight...

now if they had a heads-up display (or even a tiny LCD screen) that could mount on (or in) the helmet with this, it would be nice...

G

·
Makes the bike look even lower and narrower. I like that.

I know some PDA's use reflective screens instead of the usual back-lit. I don't know if the same technology applies to larger LCD displays, but if it does then I would think a reflective LCD would be easier to see during the day.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Now if that camera was hooked up to some serious image analysis hardware that was programmed to alert when the silhouette of a Crown Vic. comes into view... that would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
mmmmmm I think I'll stick to mirrors, are you suppose to look at the screen while riding?? By the way I just order a set of mirrors from montrack.com I'll let you guys know how they work out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts