Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys switch your tires in sets, or one at a time, as needed?

I got a rear that has 6000miles on it and its ready to go. The front though still has some life. I was planning on just changing the rear, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking not only might it be preferable to switch them as a set, but maybe it is a bad idea to have a stickier rear end than front end(?)

What do you all do?

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
One at a time, as needed. Fronts last a lot longer than rears on most bikes, and especially on the Monsters, since they are light on the front end. I normally run a sport-touring tire on the rear, such as a Metzeler Roadtec Z6, and get about 10-12K out of it, and I run a sticky tire on the front, such as a Metzeler Sportec M3, and still get about 15-18K out of that.

PhilB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...a biker friend of mine likes the Metzlers, and he said get them especially if you ride your girl around on the back. Dont know why, but he would know.

I just stayed with the tires that came on it. I got them 50% off at TireExpress:
http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/9000/pid/11537
...I think both tires shipped and insured to my door for $229. But they have all sorts of other tires on sale, if you need any.

My main problem now is I just moved back to Florida, which means flat, straight, hot and gritty... so I need that dual compound or else they'll go Frankenstein after 3kmi.

The thing that kills me is the cost to have them *changed*. I just got the manual on how to do it, still need the tools, but I'd like to see someone that knows how to show me once. Then I'll just bring the tires and wheels in and let them do the swap.

And that's another thing about when to switch out tires... hypothetically, if money didn't matter, what would I do and when would I do it(?) Some guys run until they see the steel belting. Some people even brag about it. And then again, some people, like me, smile and laugh with them and think they are complete ass clowns:) Everybody is different, everybody rides different, everybody has different bikes and live in different areas, with different roads.

...I just don't want to wreck because I'm being cheap. It's ridiculous to spend so much time and money on a bike if your tires aren't at the same level as everything else. At the same time, there is no need to be wasteful, needlessly. I just am new to the roadbike thing (dirt is totally different) and don't know if there are certain rules like "always change your tires in sets" because if you don't, inevitably you'll end up with a vibration.... or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Mine came with a rock-hard set of Michelins that took *forever* to wear out. The front lasted 32,000 miles. So no, I didn't stick with those.

You can change them yourself, but it is a PITA, so I prefer to pay the local shop. Yeah it costs a few bucks, but then (a) I don't have to do it, and (b) I'm helping keep a good local shop in business so they are there when I need them.

Here in SoCal, there are parts of the year when it never rains. Those parts of the year, I run them until they are just about out of tread. I have found that once you are out of tread, you then hit the cords almost immediately; there isn't any extra margin on tires these days. In the season where rain might happen, I change them sooner, when the wear bars come up.

But still one at a time.

I like the Metzelers, although there are a lot of good brands out there. I do like to stick with the same tire every time, because for me predictability and familiarity are the top priorities. Lanesplitting is legal here, and I do it every day, so I'm often within a couple inches of cars on either side, and I want the bike to respond just how I expect.

PhilB

·
Registered
335 Posts
After I picked-up a nail in my rear tire on my 696 at 6,000miles I decided to simply switch out both tires, as I could not get an exact replacement for the rear. I switched to the Michelin Road 2, with is a dual compound tire that is stickier on the side and harder in the middle. I like the feel of these tires. In the winter (below 40°F) it takes about 5-6 miles to warm them up. Otherwise, I like the tires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dating life really sucks sometimes doesn't it? Your self description is well written indicating an above normal intelligence. Your dilemma comes from the society you live in. Men and Women today are what they were educated to be by the public education system in unison with the entertainment industry. While that doesn't resolve your relationship problem, I submit it for your consideration which gives you additional knowledge with which to build your future opinions.
W-H-A-T !?!?

Beside psychology... I'm paying to change mine in sets for the same reasons that philb evoques. Time is money and the guys who are equipped and experienced in changing tires will do it faster and better than you'll ever be able to acheive ( no personnal offense in there, it's just math.)

And sticking to the same brand just make the bike a little more «predictable».

I choose Michelin Pilot Power 2ct.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This being the first tire swap I've ever done I just swapped the rear a few days ago planning on doing the front next month or a little later. I was going from Bridgestone Battlax front and rear, to pirelli diablo corsa's. The dual composite really sold me because I love the twistys, and I do a lot of hi-way commuting. After the first ride I new that I couldn't wait to get a front tire that held up exactly like the rear. Not just due to a different composite, just due to the different feel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sets-there are so many tire choices today as well as competition for my dollar a set can be had anymore for insane prices-for instance Pilot Powers to my door for 157.98 from one company. I feel better breakin' 'em both in at the same time, but that's just me. No scientific explanation just a feeling I get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts