Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

Last year, when the bike was still under warrenty, I found some small flakey gold colored metal in my oil. I took it to the dealer who promptly disected the top end in search of flaking rocker arms. However, no visible problem was found (the lower end wasn't touched tho), and I was told that they would contact the Duc Rep. The Duc rep told my dealer that sometimes they coat the inside of the engine with a kind of paint, and that that may be the cause of the mystery material. This put my mind at rest for a while (especially since the bike ran fine and still does), but since then I've had the golden flakes in every oil change I've done. I've tested it to see if it is magnetic, but it isn't. Any idea what this material is? Anyone have a similar experience? I'm starting to get a little worried since I've been finding it on a consistent basis.

I have a suspicion that it may be some sort of bearing material, or perhaps chunks of the cylinder. I've had the bike since 2001. It's a Monster S4, hasn't been raced or ridden recklessly, and has had regular oil changes and maintenance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I haven't seen anything like that in my Monster oil. Dude, what a great name for a band.

Anyway, describe the flakes in regards to color, size, texture, feel, shape, etc. Maybe someone here can pinpoint it for you.
It doesn't look like gold dust does it?

It might be worth getting the oil analyzed. Oil analysis can tell you exactly what is in the oil and how much of each substance. Then you can isolate where the wear is coming from based on the type metal. It's common practice in military applications and it works. The downfall of oil analysis, for you, is that there is no standard for comparision to the normal values. You'll just have to pick the metals that have the highest concentration and go with whatever component is made of that/those particular metals.

Personally I wouldn't suspect a roller type bearing if it's not magnetic. It could be a plain bearing that uses brass, or maybe the cylinder lining if it's gold colored. THESE ARE JUST GUESSES. It may simply be paint and an oil analysis will tell you for sure. Although, determining if it's paint should be easy by trying to crush it with pliers or your fingers even.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
you sure it doesn't have anything to do with the goldschlager you top it off with every oil change?

just kidding ;)

ok, so the bike's no longer under warranty, right? but your dealer saw the flakes and should attest to the "problem's" existence while the bike WAS under warranty, right? so you should be able to push DNA to front the $$ to have your engine torn into for a real inspection. if the flakes went away, i'd say what the heck... might be from the piston rings breaking in or something like that. but if they're still showing on every oil change, that indicates that something is continuing to wear away. this can't be good. i'd start seriously bugging my dealer so that they could seriously bug DNA. even if it IS some sort of cylinder lining, if the lining's wearing away, it should be reapplied, no?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
SoCalStar has a good idea with oil analysis. We used to mail off samples from marine engines all the time when I was in the CG.

A lot of the BMW F 650 crowd does it regularly. The favorite lab seems to be Lubriport Laboritories Inc., 1630 Airline Hwy, Kenner, LA. A web search should get you a link or phone nr to question them about their services.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Well fellas,

I sawed my oil filter apart both last time and this time. Last time there was far more gold specks than this time (found maybe two of em). I'm hoping that's a good sign. Oh, and none of the pieces are sticking to the magnet on the drain plug. It does resemble a fine golden dust, as the pieces are very small (the biggest one being about a mm). The pieces are very small and very fine, appearing here and there in my oil. I'd say i find about 10 or 15 pieces in the bottom of the oil pan i drain into. It feels like metal, looks like copper or brass, but i haven't tried crushing it with pliers -so I don't know how hard it is.

I just emailed DNA customer service and told em all about my problem. I'm kinda wary of my dealer since they don't seem to do a thorough job and sometimes mar stuff (scratched paint, gas line resting on my header pipe, etc) that I have had to fix. They seem to busy to do a good job. Needless to say, I'm looking for a new dealer.

I suppose i should check out that oil analysis thing.

thanks for the replies fellas.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and one more thing: the bike has 31,000 miles on it. Would this discount the possibility that things are just 'wearing in' ??

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the fact that it's still running after 31k, at least in my mind, leads me to believe your not in trouble. oil analysis, of course, is a good idea. i would just make sure my paperwork is in order so i could prove the initial problem happened during warranty, and all service was done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts