Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the raised silencer kit for the S2R 1000 (Termi cans, pipes, air filter, ECU, etc.). I know a lot of people are always debating about what kit to get, all the pros and cons, so here are my thoughts.

I have to say, the quality is below what I was expecting. It looks like they didn't make the carbon fiber sleeves in a very clean place, there's little flecks of metal embedded in the resin. The fit and finish isn't that great (alignment of the holes in the CF to the threaded inserts in the can, alignment of the end caps, the welds are acceptable but not great, etc.). The forming of the tubing left lots of little wrinkles in the pipes. It's kind of disappointing when the DP parts are lower quality than the corresponding stock parts. I wish the CF sleeve was a full knitted tube, but instead what they've done is bent a sheet over a mandrel and placed the seam at the back of the can where you can't normally see it.

Anyway, I cleaned all the metal with brake cleaner and went after some blemishes on the metal with steel wool and WD40. They look much better now than when I unwrapped them (some parts had metal chips and grease on them from manufacturing). Still not totally happy though.

Taking the baffles out was fun and very easy. The openings cut into the underside of the exhaust tips are a little rough, I'll probably file them myself.

The hanger bracket is a joke. Plus it came all scratched up. Maybe I'll make my own.

The open air box lid is a joke. It's just a stock air box carelessly sawed off. Ferracci makes an aluminum open lid which I might buy. If not I'll take my stock box lid to work and CNC the top off in a neat way.

The instructions are pretty poor quality but that doesn't bother me.

I still have to buy the DP mid-pipes. I'm guessing the quality on those parts will be similar to the pipes that came with the raised exhaust.

I got a pretty good deal on the price but I'm still a bit disappointed.

If I had it to do over again I'd get the Arrows full exhaust and I'd find a way to get my hands on a DP ECU or Nemesis ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Chris,
Sorry to hear. Must have been manufactured at a bad time of year or something. Though reading this thread and your other thread I wonder if you didn't get snookered/hoodwinked/robbed. I purchased my Termi kit and had it installed at the dealer when I bought the bike. The pipes were quite nice with smooth curves and no wrinkles. The welds all looked pretty good and I couldn't say that I have any complaints whatsoever. The open air box was not just a cut up stock box but a new box that looked like it was manufactured in a different form. The ECU has a DP sticker on it and not a hand written sticker like you stated in your other thread. The mounts (one for each side) are quite sturdy. Though I changed them out for the carbon fiber mount that Monsterparts carries. I would have to say that the only complaint I had was the fact that the cans looked like they did not have any resin on them but were natural carbon fiber oval tubes with maybe a light clearcoat on them and which I plan on having coated when I chop them later on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well here's some photos:

http://gallery.me.com/lookoutforchris#100133&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Not every photo shows something I consider a defect, I just was having fun taking photos.

Maybe I'm being too picky. The box was open but everything inside was wrapped in Termignoni labeled bags and padded with cardboard and taped up with "Termi" tape.

I do wonder about the ECU though. I replaced the hand written part number sticker with a nicer one.

I think the CF cans don't have a gel coat. It feels rough, like it has a grain. It's not a big deal, the gel coat looks nice but it does add weight. Even without a thick gooey gel coat they managed to get several flecks of metal embedded in the resin somehow.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
That weild in pics 84-86 does look a bit sloppy. You have the round pipes whereas I have the ovals. Maybe produced differently. Mine don't have the mounting holes on the cans like yours either. Mine are mounted to the mounting brackets using straps wrapped around the cans. You can see pix in my sigpic and my gallery.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Drkmojo, I just looked at the photos of your bike and your cans look much cleaner than mine (nicely aligned ends, better welds, the pipes don't seem to have wrinkles). This is starting to piss me off. You think I should send the parts back?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
If their as bad as they seem, I would. Personally I also prefer the dual highmounted ovals to the shotgun side mounted models. Even if you change them out with the dual highmounted round cans you can then use the CF highmount bracket from Monsterparts which will tuck the cans about an inch to an inch and a half closer under the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accept with information:the CF cans don't have a gel coat. It feels rough, like it has a grain. It's not a big deal, the gel coat looks nice but it does add weight. Even without a thick gooey gel coat they managed to get several flecks of metal embedded in the resin somehow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts