Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
I have a 2006 Monster 620. It has only 4000miles on it. Always garaged, never ridden in the rain. I live in Cali so not even humidity. The other day I hit the start button and I only get a click. The click is from both the starter relay and the starter motor. Battery seems good at 12.93VDC. After disconnecting the positive lead to the Starter motor, I jumped the positive lead to the battery and it cranked fine. Compression starting is fine.
All connections seem clean/tight and no corression.
The bike does have a tender installed and I re-torqued those connection as well as the starter motor positive.
Where should I head next?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
It sounds like you have a high resistance in the positive battery cable. To check this, do a voltage drop test from the battery + terminal to the starter motor terminal.
Red voltmenter lead on the battery + terminal, black voltmenter lead on the starter motor terminal that is connected to the + battery cable. Push the starter button and watch the voltmeter. With the button depressed, you should have NO MORE than 0.50 (half) a volt showing on the meter. If there's more, replace the cable and clean the connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, Battery voltage 13.07v direct with key off
With Key on its 11.86v

With Starter Motor connected, positive side test, one lead from my meter on the pos terminal of the batt the other on the starter motor terminal, voltage only drops to 11.10 when I hit the start button. I guess it should be ~.5v?
What is it that the leads go right into a solinoid or a relay? Cleaned connections around that (relay or solinoid) but they were already pretty and shiney.

Key on, hitting the start button, Voltage drop test on the output side of the (relay or solinoid) shows same thing, only a slight drop.
Key on, hitting the start button, Voltage drop test on the input side of the (relay or solinoid) shows 0v as it should right?
Does this mean its the relay/solinoid?
Anyway I can confirm that?
I bet it not cheap nor returnable.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Yes, do it with the motor connected. You are seeing the voltage drop created by resistance in the positive circuit when current is trying to flow. So, the motor has to be connected.
Your result indicates a VERY high resistance in the cable or connections of the cable. I suspect a bad or corroded crimp where the cable end is joined to the cable strands.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary, thanks for the reply I edited my post perhaps as you were replying, not sure it you caught the update. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a bad battery. Held voltage, recovered well but 5 seconds at kragen confirmed a bad batt. Dropped a new one it and all is good.

When in doubt, get it tested for good current.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Yep, my mistake was assuming you had already tested the battery. ATBF -- Always Test Battery First, then proceed once you know the battery's status.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts