Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an impatient person, when I needed a new battery I replaced it with a battery that required me to bend the leads a little to get them to seat. This wasn't a problem for 6 months, however monday night while riding home from work I noticed what I thought to be my fuel indicator on. Once I looked down I realized what was really happening... my tank latch was glowing white hot! I quickly pulled over and tried blowing on it (with a full face helmet, visor closed) but that didn't work very well (go figure). I then tried to put it out with my hands... and caught my gloves on fire. Finally I pulled up on the tank (figuring it would help brake the circuit) and the latch melted/fell to the ground. once the circuit was broken, the bike was fine (not even a fuse blown) and I rode it home. Now comes where I need all of your help: Where the hell can I find a replacement latch? I hate not being able to ride, and I'm thinking of bungie-ing the tank down until I can get a proper latch. Anyone able to help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
??? i don't even know where to begin after a post like this. either you forgot to mention something or i am really dumb! i know i am at the very least confused.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
luca?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nissontek said:
??? i don't even know where to begin after a post like this. either you forgot to mention something or i am really dumb! i know i am at the very least confused.
Which part are you confused about?

I forgot to mention that my bike is a 2001 monster 750... any idea on compatibility for latches from other displacements/years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Isn't the hinge and pads insulated with rubber? Maybe the latch is the only metal on metal contact, so thats where the juice is going. Seems crazy to me, suprised the tank didn't blow up- lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
cutter said:
Isn't the hinge and pads insulated with rubber? Maybe the latch is the only metal on metal contact, so thats where the juice is going. Seems crazy to me, suprised the tank didn't blow up- lucky.
errr, I'm pretty confused how this all happened too, but um, +1 to this comment...
 
G

·
Seems pretty simple to me

  • Hot contact from battery hits tank.
  • Tank is not in direct contact with frame at the hinge.
  • Tank is in direct contact with frame at latch.
  • Frame is grounded.
  • Circuit is completed and a large number of amps begin to flow through the relatively narrow 'wire' of the latch.

I don't think an explosion is that likely, since the tank is big enough to carry that much current without heating.

I'd worry more about the battery boiling or hot, molten metal dripping down off the latch and melting your airbox and wiring.

And BTW: You probably need a new battery :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DrunkenMonkey said:
Seems pretty simple to me

  • Hot contact from battery hits tank.
  • Tank is not in direct contact with frame at the hinge.
  • Tank is in direct contact with frame at latch.
  • Frame is grounded.
  • Circuit is completed and a large number of amps begin to flow through the relatively narrow 'wire' of the latch.

I don't think an explosion is that likely, since the tank is big enough to carry that much current without heating.

I'd worry more about the battery boiling or hot, molten metal dripping down off the latch and melting your airbox and wiring.

And BTW: You probably need a new battery :p
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I just recieved the new battery via mail (an EXACT replacement for OEM this time!) Suprisingly the finish on the tank is fine. I ordered the latch, but due to DNA closing warehouses here Bikebandit.com said it'll be 3 weeks :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ddan said:
First thing you might want to do is change your screen name.
Bad juju there dude. [laugh]
yeah I guess I had it coming... lol maybe I'll change it to "WTFOMGITSONFIREHELPMEJEBUS".... that's probably too long though [laugh]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
DrunkenMonkey said:
...
I don't think an explosion is that likely, since the tank is big enough to carry that much current without heating.

...
I think my combustion concern was more directed at a 'glowing white hot' latch that's VERY close to a potential source for petrol vapors (granted the cap was closed, but potential nonetheless)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
I think this is the most amazing problem I've heard of having on a bike.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Glad you're alright
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
Order the latch from one of our great sponsors, Ducati Seattle. They are cheap enuogh it isn't worth the time to shop around. I got one for my 900SS from them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
fireballfish said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I just recieved the new battery via mail (an EXACT replacement for OEM this time!) Suprisingly the finish on the tank is fine. I ordered the latch, but due to DNA closing warehouses here Bikebandit.com said it'll be 3 weeks :mad:
That's why you buy from ducati seattle. Search on bandit and you'll learn more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Well another great way to make sure this don't happen again is... Buy a new style tank. The plastic ones that are put on the S*R. Not sure about fit, but thats is easy enough to figure out. Glad to hear your safe and no bodily damage occurred. Sad to hear you are out of a ride atm.

$0.02,
Lung
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top