Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the story is behind this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its a 996... Rider number is 82, I think

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe it was Steve Rapp at either Road alanta or road america a few years back, clipped his brake lever on the back of another bike.
They red flagged the race and restarted w/ Steve restarting on his back up bike.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
John Kosinski and Steve Rapp at Road America in 2000. John was on pole, if i remember correctly, and was leading the way into turn 1. He braked early and his teamate, Rapp, ran into him. The contact jammed his brake lever, resulting in a monster endo that completely destroyed his bike.

Steve hopped on his backup bike and finished 7th (i believe) in the restarted race.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
HamOnRye said:
Serious props to Rapp.
yeah.. everybody was pretty impressed that he even rode the re-start, let alone put in a performance like that.

i believe i remember him saying that since the restart was so quick, the crash didn't have a chance to "get in his head".

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats incredible... I wonder how his forks and triple got ripped off like that?!?!

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jesus...

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
somewhere i have a higher quality pic than the one in the original post. i'll see if i can track it down tonight.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
derby said:
somewhere i have a higher quality pic than the one in the original post. i'll see if i can track it down tonight.
i'm cheating...

(same pic as the one in the original post, but full size w/o having to click on it.)

·
Registered
498 Posts
That was some amazing footage! [thumbsup]

I'll never forget wondering just how incredible it was that neither Rap nor his exploding bike were contacted by any of the other riders coming past the scene! :eek:

Thanx for the post guys! [clap]

I never cease to be in awe of that footage! :)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
You should have seen it live from turn one. We had parts raining down on us. It was bloody amazing.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
from the pic, I thought they'd just pulled away from the grid, but after watching that video...... daaayyuuuummmm. that happened fast.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rapp made a joke about it while he was a guest instructor at a Danny Walker superbike camp my friend went to.

Talking about brakes he said (I paraphrase) I like the brakes to bite immediately, I want the lever to have zero play... well you saw the crash. Then he laughed.

He used bark busters for a while after that incident.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
WOW!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Dear God. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts