Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine's cracked, but still working, so I'm looking for one on the cheap. If you've got a salvage monster with a good gauge cluster, or you're upgrading to some nifty aftermarket gauges, shoot me a PM and I'll make you an offer. Grazie! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Unless someone has a set that has completely given up the ghost all it would be good for is the case. You will need either that or a virgin "unprogramed set"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unprogrammed? so you're saying that the gauges "pair" with the ECU and once they're bonded, it's not possible to pair it with another ECU? As for swapping out the cases, is that even possible? I thought that it was a sealed unit?

M

·
0 Posts
I have sucessfully taken the cases apart and changed the circuit boards.
You will need A little patience and luck if you pry the needles off. That is the hardest part. One set of needles came off and the other seemed glued and I had to repair them because they broke .
First remove the rear allen head and flip the samll front light cover off.
Then you will find a small torx screw in front to remove. After that , the prying begins with plastic spring side latches all around behind a gasket.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess it's worth a shot. Better than paying the ridiculous amount of money that DNA wants for a new set :-\

Ducman, I found your thread on the immobilizer. Good info, you really did your homework on that one. I think I'm just going to try to patch mine up as best I can and wait till somebody replies to this thread with a good deal on a used gauge cluster case.

Ah, the joys of owning a Ducati. Sometimes ya gotta wonder if we're all touched in the head ;)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
mysfitt said:
Well, I guess it's worth a shot. Better than paying the ridiculous amount of money that DNA wants for a new set  :-\

Ducman, I found your thread on the immobilizer. Good info, you really did your homework on that one. I think I'm just going to try to patch mine up as best I can and wait till somebody replies to this thread with a good deal on a used gauge cluster case.

Ah, the joys of owning a Ducati. Sometimes ya gotta wonder if we're all touched in the head  ;)
Yeah its a pretty messed up system. All for the Insurance Marketability.

I know many people who have bought old clusters and swapped the housing just as Macman has. If I still had mine availible I could offer you a whole set (gauges, keys, and ECU) cheap, but that ship sailed awhile ago.

M

·
0 Posts
Ducman851,
I would like to read your immobilizer post, I have another bike I am without red key and seeking alternatives.
Can you refer me to info?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Lordy theres alot of them. Type "immobilizer" into the search. Without the Red key your only alternatives are:
1. Buy new stuff (keys, ecu, gauges) from Ducati.
2. Call your nearest FIM dealer and get yourself an FIM UM59 ECU.

T

·
0 Posts
ducman851 said:
Lordy theres alot of them. Type "immobilizer" into the search. Without the Red key your only alternatives are:
1. Buy new stuff (keys, ecu, gauges) from Ducati.
2. Call your nearest FIM dealer and get yourself an FIM UM59 ECU.
The keys, gauges, ecu route ain't so bad anymore. Ping Tim at Ducati Seattle. Gauges = 185, ECU (I heard) =220, keys =? Total still cheaper then a FIM.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did I mention that my local dealer quoted me $695 for the cluster? Boy, they coulda at least used some lube :eek:

So, yea. $185 actually sounds pretty good by comparison. I still that that It's ridiculous that I have a completely working set of gauges and have to pay buku $$$ for a crack in a clear piece of plastic :mad:

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
thoughtpolice said:
The keys, gauges, ecu route ain't so bad anymore. Ping Tim at Ducati Seattle. Gauges = 185, ECU (I heard) =220, keys =? Total still cheaper then a FIM.
But your still stuck with the piece of crap immobilizer.

T

·
0 Posts
ducman851 said:
But your still stuck with the piece of crap immobilizer.
If you got all the parts what the problem with it? Never gives me any problems.

T

·
0 Posts
ducman851 said:
And Ill add, an EFI system that cannot be remapped. Ill stick with my FIM thank you.

And Ill add, an FIM system that cannot be remapped (by anyone west of the mississippi). Ill stick with my PC3 thanks you. :)

T

·
0 Posts
When it's worked out let me know. I would like the "perfect" map some day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts