• Hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't mind it

• Do it and kind of enjoy it

• Would rather work on it than ride it

• What are we talking about? Isn't that what guys are for?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I suck at it...that is, working on my bike(s.)

And here's the deal: I don't really like it either. I'd much rather be riding the darn thing, ya know? Now I know that there are guys out there who rip down an engine and put the thing back together just to change the screws to titanium and make sure that the slots are all pointing towards Mecca. I totally have nothing but 127% respect for those guys. I don't want to be one of them, however.

And you know why I don't like it? I don't like breaking my nails. I don't like the dirt and grime. I don't like ruining my clothes and sitting on cold garage floors. I always seem to scrape a knuckle and then somehow manage to get brake fluid in it. ow. I'm never confident in my work when I've completed it and I always smell like oil and exhaust the next day. Ick.

The upside to it is, well, the obvious...I get to save a little money (if I don't botch it and end up having to take it back to the shop.) ::) I get mad props from the boyeeezzzz... (once again, that only happens when I don't botch it, and it doesn't matter cuz I already have a boy.) The other positive to it is that I'm not totally helpless when something bad happens on a ride. And...I kind of like guessing what the problem could be on my bike. I don't like the physical act of working on it, but I like sleuthing and diagnosing stuff. I even snoop around in the Tech section just to see what's up in the garages of our menfolk. [cheeky]

So, how many of you out there are ka-razee mechanics? How did you learn? How long have you been doing it? And do you like it? I'd like to learn to enjoy it more. I always need to be doing something on my bike--it's a 1994 with 40K miles on it. Stuff breaks. A lot. Gradually I'm taking on more and more challenging stuff. I just learned to change my oil and I've done a couple of valve adjustments before that. (yeah, the order of those two activities is correct.) ;D Now I need to change out my clutch. I'm learning about suspension and am totally befuddled by tires. I'm always looking for one more part that I can take off the bike...and when I have some extra cash, I'm looking for mods to put on the bike. [cheeky]

I'm getting better, faster and more confident...but I want to know the secret of finding joy when I'm under the bike and not on it...what's the zen of motorcycle maintenance, if you will?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't like breaking my nails. I don't like the dirt and grime. I don't like ruining my clothes and sitting on cold garage floors. I always seem to scrape a knuckle and then somehow manage to get brake fluid in it. ow.
I agree with you, Monstrobelle. However, I suppose I'm type "A" enough that I feel that I ought to take every chance I can to learn. My Man & his buddy changed my gear from a 15t down to a 14. (hugely recommend this for the 695's). I was right up in there, almost to the point of feeling like I was in the way. ;)

A girlfriend of mine has been quite assertive, to the point of taking the wrenches out of her SO's hand (who happens to be an MMI Graduate) and making sure she understands everything going on, or off her bike. [clap] I admire that in her.

Hopefully, there is also some fun to the grease & grime. Since, eventually we are all bound to get some garage floor time.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I voted for the guys, but that isn't to say I lack a desire to do it or am afraid of getting my hands dirty, it has more to do with the lack of having a clue what I'm doing. :-\

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
i love wrenching. its therapeutic. i want to know what makes it tick..

plus i love tools :) i even asked santa for a new torque wrench :)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Mostrobelle said:

The other positive to it is that I'm not totally helpless when something bad happens on a ride. And...I kind of like guessing what the problem could be on my bike. I don't like the physical act of working on it, but I like sleuthing and diagnosing stuff. I even snoop around in the Tech section just to see what's up in the garages of our menfolk. [cheeky] ....
Exactly.

I can handle the basics. I can change the oil although my husband usually does it. I can clean and lube the chain, check air pressure and the basics like that. I do all the research and the tracking down of parts.

My husband is a gearhead and has been tinkering on moters since before he could drive. He ususally takes care of basic maintenance on his days off which are mid week. Its just easier for him plus he enjoys the tinkering, I'd rather just ride. My bike is largely stock and really hasnt had any problems though. Well, at least until I tossed it down the track.

So in the end my answer is thats what the boys are for. I can do it but most of the time its been taken care of for me.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
spankee said:
i love wrenching. its therapeutic. i want to know what makes it tick..
Same here. I like turning a wrench. Learned as a kid, helping my father work on the family autos and just kept it up. Never any formal training. But I need to have a proper space and tools to really enjoy wrenching. I don't like to be cold and uncomfortable, or cramped. Right now we have a small shop (16X20) and it's got Dave's 996 SPS, my Monster and an '87 GSXR 1100 (street fighter project), so it's too cramped--makes me agitated just to walk in there. We've decided that this summer we either build a garage or move to a house with a respectable garage so we can really enjoy working on the bikes. (I think our dream garage would be bigger than our house! [laugh])

·
Registered
769 Posts
Reese said:
(I think our dream garage would be bigger than our house! [laugh])
I have the same dream ;D

I wouldn't mind wrenching but that's not my first preference - I'd rather ride and do my other hobbies than to wrench. But if I know what to do, I wouldn't mind doing it and would like to know what makes the bike tick. I have not worked on my bike at all except checking tire pressure. But will soon learn to flush fluids and change wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reese said:
<snip> and an '87 GSXR 1100 (street fighter project)<snip>
You aren't doing one of those old GSXR 7/11 projects, are you? I'd love to get good enough to do a streetfighter project one day... [thumbsup]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Guys,

I like working on my bike it''s fun because you get to know your bike really well and know what makes it tick.

Another good reason for working on it yourself is, if you are out on the road and something sounds a little different you know it sounds different and not just another Ducati noise [laugh] if you know what I mean.

For example I was riding my bike on the weekend doing a cornering and braking course actually, and I saw that it was leaking clutch fliud admittedly I needed a helping hand from my hubby but I went to the mechanic with the clutch slave and found out how and what I needed to do, then went and got the seals but I have bought one from MPL tuning in Germany off Ebay (GOLD) and will put that on when it gets here. [thumbsup]

Also on the same ride I noticed every time I laid it over on its side stand or stood it up it had a strange ticking noise. Looked into it closer when I got home with the hubby and we noticed it was the oggy knobs and where the rod goes through the engine block it was under stress because the knobs had come slightly loose. All this I find very interesting and you get to know all the ins and outs of the bike at the same time. I LOVE TINKERING [thumbsup]

Cheers Egas

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ducky said:
I wouldn't mind wrenching but that's not my first preference - I'd rather ride and do my other hobbies than to wrench. But if I know what to do, I wouldn't mind doing it and would like to know what makes the bike tick. I have not worked on my bike at all except checking tire pressure. But will soon learn to flush fluids and change wheels.
I'm with you on this one. I muck with lots of things techie during the course of my "job" (grad student in a lab) so when it comes to my hobby, I much rather be riding than fiddling with it. Heck, it has to be realllly dirrrty for me to wash the darn thing. That's not to say I'm not curious though, and I did find it interesting to take the tank off and see some of the innards to make sure some oil wasn't coming from the wrong place. It's a new bike, so I'm willing to be my opinion might change with time, but for now, I would have to say that's what the boys are for.

G

·
I actually enjoy wrenching... still trying to learn as much as possible from my mechanic (Sensei).
Plus i love wearing my pink work gloves!! ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moto_bella said:
I actually enjoy wrenching... still trying to learn as much as possible from my mechanic (Sensei).
Plus i love wearing my pink work gloves!! ;D ;D
I might be more inclined to work if I had pink work gloves. [thumbsup] Where'd you get 'em? Link please. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am spoiled because I am married to a "tinkerer" who just takes stuff apart because he can and loves to do fab work. I usually play role of gopher and get to drive to get the parts or run back and forth to the toolbox in the shop. I do prefer riding my bike to working on it. I can fix stuff if I had to, it is just easier to hand out the tools.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I do the cleaning, HE does the wrenching.

I do know how to check tire pressure, etc...
but only when I ride solo.

Our usual routine before we ride together;
I debugging helmets and fairings while he goes over the bikes.

His Sprint needs WaY more TLC than my Ducati anywayz.
[laugh]

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
made2corner said:
I am spoiled because I am married to a "tinkerer" who just takes stuff apart because he can and loves to do fab work. I usually play role of gopher and get to drive to get the parts or run back and forth to the toolbox in the shop. I do prefer riding my bike to working on it. I can fix stuff if I had to, it is just easier to hand out the tools.
Ditto.....well except for the married part! My man (met him on the DML!!) is quite the tinkerer too and takes care of it all for me! Quite nice, and, yes, I can do the basics in a pinch if needed. Makes for peace of mind for all, not to mention the very cool AAA 200 Miles towing we have available! ;D

So a big YEA for the boys & gals that support our wrenching needs! You guys ROCK!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Santa took my like of wrenching a little too far.

Got an oil drain pan, a magnetic tool tray, low profile socket wrench converters, and a flashlight that straps onto my forehead for Christmas.

Santa will get a more detailed wish list next year.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
You aren't doing one of those old GSXR 7/11 projects, are you? I'd love to get good enough to do a streetfighter project one day... [thumbsup]
This is the never-ending project! The bike was bought in 1990 and hasn't been ridden since...we're always changing something on it, that is, when we were working on it. Poor thing started collecting dust when the Ducs came along, so hasn't gotten much attention in the past 3 years. We also have a 2nd '87 GSXR out in the back and I'd love to put the motor into a Harris or Spondon frame. Someday...maybe when I win the lotto and can afford the parts and the garage! [laugh]

·
Registered
124 Posts
dsullenb said:
Santa took my like of wrenching a little too far.

Got an oil drain pan, a magnetic tool tray, low profile socket wrench converters, and a flashlight that straps onto my forehead for Christmas.

Santa will get a more detailed wish list next year.

bwaahaaahaa... perfect. And, front/rear stand for your birthday.. Sounds perfect to me. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Haven't done anything major. But have always liked working with my hands. Don't mind getting greasy or dirty at all. Wouldn't mind learning how to do more to my own bike but will have to find someone to hold my hand through it all since I don't have proper tools, setup or knowledge. Got my 24 check up coming hopefully I can find a handholder for that one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts