Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just bought my 2002 620 monster from my brother who hasn't touched it in 1.5 years. When I start it in the morning for the first time it starts up just fine, no problems. After the engine warms up it will stall unless I keep the choke out at least 2/3 of the way when I come to a stop. I fiddled with the throttle cable a bit and it temporarily helped. I've heard it was was a gunked-up carborator and I should try to run some fuel line cleaner through it. It was suggested that I check the spark plugs as well.
I'm thinkin' about taking it to the local Ducati dealer to get checked but I'm not crazy about their customer service (it ticks me off a bit). Any suggestions for this nube?

Cheers,
don

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where are you located and what Dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
go to martin's in coopersburg.

ldo, i thought 02 was the first yr that they all came injected....

mine kinda has the same prob, but it's the valves, they need to be adjusted. als try checkign the plugs. if they have any strange look to them then something is wrong.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
if the bike sat for 1 1/2 years, change the plugs, change the oil, drain the gas and give it some fresh gas, and clean the carbs/injectors. letting it sit will let any gas in the lines, carbs, injectors turn to varnish and clog everything up, also if there was gas in the tank it probably got condensation from the pressure and has water in it.
Just give her a good clean up and give her a try, if it doesn't help, at least you know you'll be starting with a clean slate.
Also, make sure you inspect the tires for cracks in the tread grooves, alot of times old tires will dry rot and crack and can lead to an ugly blow out when the tire gets nice and hot and the air pressure increases.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 2002 620 is a fuel injected bike, so first things first.
Can you verify that it is in fact a 2002 620, and if so what and where is the choke thats on your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
hobbeslax said:
Paper5,
I'm near Harrisburg so Koups would be the only one that I know of.
Mikmar in Paxinos (near Shamokin) is much closer to you than Martins/Coopersburg. Mike Duzick (owner) is excellent...been riding/maintaining/servicing/selling Ducs for many years. He knows it all...

No website (email: [email protected])...tel. 570-672-9110 Give him a call. You can refer to me when you speak with him.

Gene Makar

Also suggest you download a copy of your Owner's Manual from here:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/manuals/2002.jhtml?family=service&node=manuals&modelName=2002

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MDriver: I'm going with 2002 because that's what's plastered on the bike from the company of Ducati.

OT:
Thank you very much! I went to Koups yesterday and I left less than pleased.

Cheers,
don

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
hobbeslax said:
I went to Koups yesterday and I left less than pleased.
wtf?.. new owner, possible life time customer and he's already annoyed.

sorry man :-\

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hobbes,

I searched through the general monster and tech sections about the problem your having.

Came up with a couple of things.
One, your bike is fuel injected and the choke lever you have by the left grip is actually a "cold start lever". Which has basically the same functionality as a choke but is (in my opinion) implemented on fuel injection systems to compensate for poor design.
Two, the stalling problem your having isn't uncommon and is supposedly taken care of during the 600 mile service by synchronizing the throttle bodies and or adjusting whatever idle mixture screw/s there may be.

If you haven't already, I would start by following sodarks advice and try and clean up the system a bit, replace the fuel filter, replace the spark plugs, and check the air filter as sometimes rodents will make their homes in the filter box. I doubt doing any of that will fix your problem but it's cheap to do and a good idea for any vehicle thats been sitting for awhile.

JCG

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
hobbeslax said:
I'm going with 2002 because that's what's plastered on the bike from the company of Ducati.
Your title should tell you the actual model year. You might find you have a MY2003 ~ if you're going by manufacture date on the frame sticker. (example: mine says October 2004, it's a MY2005) ...not that it makes much difference becuase I don't think there was any change from '02 to '03 'cept maybe cosmetic.

Anyway - good luck with your tune-up.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Mdriver said:
...replace the fuel filter...
Buried inside the fuel tank - have to remove hoses, fill cap, internals, etc. -- not something a newbie should be playing with...IMHO, best to take the bike to a qualified Duc mechanic. Get it running well and then learn how to maintain/fix it.

My 2-cents

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm going to take it to the shop and have it done. I'm still new to whole art of motorcycle maintenance so I'll let them do it for right now. Besides, I barely have time to get it to the shop.

My main concern right now is that I have to have the choke at least 2/3 out to ride it or the bike stalls. Even when the bike warms up. How bad is it to ride with the choke out?

Cheers,
don

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
hobbeslax said:
Yeah, I'm going to take it to the shop and have it done. I'm still new to whole art of motorcycle maintenance so I'll let them do it for right now. Besides, I barely have time to get it to the shop.

My main concern right now is that I have to have the choke at least 2/3 out to ride it or the bike stalls. Even when the bike warms up. How bad is it to ride with the choke out?

Cheers,
don
When properly tuned, riding with the choke out means the air/fuel mixture is very rich. Over time, this would foul the sparkplugs and - maybe - coat the valves with carbon.

If your bike needs it to preclude stalling, then it may not be as rich as normal.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No mechanic myself - but like was said earlier if your bike is fuel injected, and it should be if the year is correct, then the "choke" is really just a fast idle (same as holding the throttle partially open).

You may find you just need your idle adjusted, but the other maintenance suggested here should be done regardless, since it has been sitting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sound advice: I was going to take it today but 1)I'm all over the place and 2) It's a bit too windy for me to be crossing over any bridges over the Susquehanna today.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
don

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
hobbeslax said:
Sound advice: I was going to take it today but 1)I'm all over the place and 2) It's a bit too windy for me to be crossing over any bridges over the Susquehanna today.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
don
Sounds like you have an 'appointment', are you leaving it or can you wait?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No appointment made yet. Should I wait? Another thing-is this something that I have to get taken care of at a Ducati shop or would, let's say, a local Suzuki dealer/shop be able to take care of it?
Any how-no, no appointment made yet but I'd like to get it taken care of.

Cheers,
don

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
hobbeslax said:
No appointment made yet. Should I wait? Another thing-is this something that I have to get taken care of at a Ducati shop or would, let's say, a local Suzuki dealer/shop be able to take care of it?
Any how-no, no appointment made yet but I'd like to get it taken care of.

Cheers,
don
I certainly would not take it to a non-Ducati shop...you're asking for trouble (would you take your Honda Accord to the local Ford shop? No experience with the bike, no way to diagnose things, no shop manuals, wrong tools, etc.). Sounds like you're taking a wait-and-see attitude...good luck.

If you want, I'll buy the POS bike from you for $1,000. [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts