Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you/should I buy a bike online??? without seeing it in person?

My thoughts.
I see plenty of pics...
Have the VIN
Know the mileage
Correct Keys shown.

So, would you at all?
Only if you could drive to see it? Ride it home...
or
If cheap enough to take a chance on Flying out and either shipping it home or riding?

If I do it all remotely, and will need to ship it...
How do I do that safely?
Are there specific ways to save safe?
Would you trust a dealer over a private sale??

As in most things, I believe a private sale is easier to haggle down. And they usually start with a lower price for a comparable machine.

Each week right now there are seemingly better deals.

Thank you in advance

Rex

·
Registered
26 Posts
My current S4Rt I purchased without seeing in person. It was only a couple hours away but I couldn't get to it in time before others were going to look at it and the price was so good I knew it would be gone if I waited. I had the seller email/text me pics and vids of it running and details. We then agreed on a price via phone and I transferred money. I was a little bit nervous but also felt pretty good about the deal after talking and feeling out the owner over the phone. Use your best judgement and common sense to know if it all is legit and you should be okay. In my case it ended up being the best "gamble" I've ever made. That specific model is hard to come by and even harder if you require a certain mileage limit and condition. Other, more plentiful bikes may not require such a deal (like a 796 or newer 821 or 1200)

I ended up making the drive and trailering it home within a couple days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
EmmDeePee,

Nice looking bike. Actually bought mine without seeing it in person also. Had the seller also send a vid of it running with a walk around. So far I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
EmmDeePee,

Nice looking bike. Actually bought mine without seeing it in person also. Had the seller also send a vid of it running with a walk around. So far I'm not disappointed.
Thanks! I love it. I had a 796 for a little over a year before this.

I found my bike on Craigslist, but while doing research on the forums I found that the seller also advertised it here. I've done a fair amount of work to the bike and also had a full Desmo service done after the purchase. But one of the main selling points was that it was the original owner and all stock parts were still there for it (which was good as I wasn't a fan of a lot of the seller's mods) along with all service records, receipts, and all keys and code card. I paid $4500 and feel the deal was more than fair. After a full service, tires, chain/sprockets, and some of my own mods like new CF fenders and Luimoto seat cover, LED headlight, etc, I'm probably in it another couple thousand. Here is the original ad: 2007 Monster S4RT Seattle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any problems with the 796? PO of mine also added a bunch of aftermarket items, but I also got all the factory parts along with all the service records. Got both keys but no code card. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope, no problems. It had just under 23k miles when I sold it. I loved the 796 but for me it was always just a place holder until I found an S4Rs or S4Rt that suited me.

I don’t think the 796 came with a code card or red key from the factory. I’m pretty sure it was just two black keys. That’s also all I ever got with mine when I had it and that bike had also come from the original owner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Mine just has under 6000 on the clock so its barley been ridden. Glad to have found something with low miles and in excellent shape with all the records.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for all the great responses so far.
Yes I am in the USA. Generally speaking I can fly to most places, stay 2 nights and fly back and ship the bike home all for around or less than a thousand dollars.
I would rather fly and ride (if close enough. Or have a friend drive me and ride home.)
Test riding is the biggest hangup here in GA. Over 18 inches of rain since January 1st... and only 7 days in February without rain so far.
I will not buy something I cannot ride. (at least a version of it...) Some dealers do not do test rides. Others do not have what I want... Only what they want to sell.
I started this journey thinking of buying new. But after reading an article on a forum (this one? another?) asking why do so many used Ducatis have such low mileage... I started looking and WOW some great deals out there.

Of course that led me to even more research about even older models.
I think I have stopped thinking of other brands, but now there are so many different models of monsters...
Maybe its good its still raining.
I just want to buy within the next month while I am looking at winter prices... Not spring prices...

Thanks
Rex

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it would help for you to narrow down which generation of Monster you want as well as what displacement and whether you want water or air cooled before you really start shopping as that will streamline the process. If you've never owned one the choices can be overwhelming but you honestly can't go wrong with any as they're all great bikes, IMO. I love my S4Rt (I consider it my forever bike) but I also loved my 796 when I had it. Both are amazing bikes and ride great, but the older bike is a bit more raw and iconic for me with the "full" trellis frame, dry clutch, etc. If wanting to buy in the next month you will probably have an easier time finding something like a 696/796/1100 or an 821/1200. S-series bikes are out there but more rare and harder to find in good shape since they're older, so you'd have to wait for the right one to come along.

For what it's worth, I was never able to test ride a Monster before I bought my 796 a few years ago. I have loved the look since they came out in the 90s and after visiting Rome several years ago and seeing one rumble down a cobblestone street as well as a few parked next to Vespas, I knew it was finally time. After looking for about six weeks I found one on Craigslist that checked all the boxes and it was a consignment deal at a Ducati dealer. I put money down on it over the phone, drove two hours to Seattle and took it for a quick spin before plunking down the rest of the money for it. I fell in love just as I thought I would and the rest is history.

EDIT I just realized you have another thread trying to decide between a 1200S or R. Plenty of those for sale on the internet (well 1200S models anyway). I don't think you'll have a problem finding the perfect bike for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a 4hr drive Saturday (If they don't close state borders...) and I will be the proud owner of a...
2014 1200s (was there such a thing as a stripe that year?)
Bunch of stuff.. Only 1 bar end mirror sucks...
BUT
Steering Dampener and Marchesini wheels...
5 thousand miles. Gorgeous. within driving distance...
Termis, upmap, controls etc.

$8500 out the door.

Thank you to all who helped.

My pics once I own it...

Rex

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very nice. sounds like a good deal.
Mine had 1 bar end dental mirror when I saw it first, but they found the stock mirrors and gave me those.
I was going to lose the license plate holder at first but have kept it.
Those termis are quite expensive.
Congrats, enjoy. I bet you will. (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice 1200 and at a decent price it sounds like. Only thing I really don't care for on these is being water cooled as far as aesthetics. Those hoses on the left side just doesn't do it for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts