Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
....the nearest dealer was 4-5 hours away from you? I want a monster in the worst way and am still trying to talk myself into buying it instead of a SV650S but my nearest dealer is at least 5 hours from here. Would you own a Ducati if you couldn't get quick service for your bike and couldn't do service yourself? I have a Suzuki dealer right here in town.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I owned a few classic American musclecars when I was living in Europe. That was before the internet, parts where impossible to come by. And service? Forget it. No mechanic I ever met or talked to had ever seen a V8 in his life, let alone worke on one.

What shall I say. It was an adventure. You learn to work on these things as you go along, but the passion has to be there. Else it's no fun.

-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have no mechanical ability...and I live in an apartment so I have no place to work on a bike......plus that 600 mile service is gonna come quick riding 65 miles a day to work.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I owned a 1970 Skylark when I was in college. We were living in downtown LA, we were POOR and the car was our only transportation. We only had street parking and the car could never be down for longer than half a day, because we needed it to get around to work and stuff. I remember swapping the engine out once - in the street and in the middle of torrential downpour. One other time I exchanged the brake calipers, and then the control arm bushings. One time a ball joint broke, I used a milk crate to keep the car up because I didn't have any tools, or a jack for that matter.

So as you see, it can be done. I didn't have any mechanical abilities either, a lot of it is common sense and with a resource such as this board you can get pretty much everything done. But as I said, it can get old quickly. I for my part don't want to go through all this again. Now I really enjoy the ability to just drop whatever I need to get fixed off and happily pay the bill.

-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a no-brainer, unless there is an independent shop that you could count on to do the work for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Here we go again. Follow your heart mate, (well, and your bank account) you only have to see this dealer once a year. Do not do this to yourself. Can you really imagine yourself buying a SV650S and live unhappily ever after. One of the members in our club has a Laverda and there are no Laverda dealers in Norway he do not consider that a problem at all.

Slim

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
If you are only going to be in that location for a short time, go with the SV650 until you can get a Duc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can agree with AZmnstr's advice. I live three hours from a dealer. No riders or mechanics in my area. The people on this board have been a ton of help. Love my monster and had too have it but, the upgrades have been a headache! and expensive to fix my screw ups. Get the bike just the way you want it and enjoy. My dealer is really good about scheduling my service so I can get it done in one day and not make two trips.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I see you are in Louisiana. And still 4-5 hrs from a dealer? Keep checking around and you might find a competent shop somewhere closer.

Not being close to a dealer, I would say look for a good used Duc, since warranty work would be a long distance PITA without a nearby dealer. Use the saved money to buy a few tools and parts and learn as you go. Monsters, with the 2V aircooled engines are the essence of simplicity. That makes routine maintenance doable, even for the mechanically disadvantaged. And a good used model should have most or all of the new-bike bugs corrected. Watch out for bikes just under 12K miles, or you will be approaching the end of the life cycle for a lot of parts, like cam belts, chain and sprockets, clutch, maybe tires, and so on.

Even the dreaded valve check/valve adjustment is not too hard to learn, especially if you can hook up with another board member locally to get you through the first one. The resources on this board can talk you through almost anything. The tools required for most stuff are pretty basic - metric wrenches, socket set, torque wrench for accurate tightening of fasteners(especially important for newby mechanics) and metric allen wrenches (I have basic L-shape, T-handles, and socket type to go on the torque wrench)

You can get an awful lot of supplies and stuff online and often cheaper than from the dealer. Chris K, one of the sponsors on here has quality oil fliters and tons of other stuff.

If you absolutely have no interest in working on the bike at all, you may want to go with a turn-key reliable Japanese bike for now. But you will be missing that little "something" that the Monster brings to the table.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I wouldn't have one if I had to travel more than an hour. It would be too much of a hassle, for something that was purchased for enjoyment. Scheduled service wouldn't be bad, but the unexpected stupid crap that can sometimes pop up would be a royal pain. If you could find a local shop that was willing to work on it, and didn't mind having parts shipped from time to time, then go for it. If that sounds like a hassle, buy something else...

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Have you checked with the other bike shops...

in town to see if they would work on a Ducati? They may service bikes other than the ones they are dealers for. A good mechanic is a good mechanic. And for all you know, may own a Ducati. Working at the dealership may just be a job to them, not a passion. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a bunch, y'all have been a big help....I'm gonna do some calling tomorrow but I doubt I will have much luck.around here it's harley country and all the independent shops work on HD's. I will give it a try though, I'm still at least two weeks away from buying so I have plenty of time to research.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Thanks a bunch, y'all have been a big help....I'm gonna do some calling tomorrow but I doubt I will have much luck.around here it's harley country and all the independent shops work on HD's. I will give it a try though, I'm still at least two weeks away from buying so I have plenty of time to research.
Just tell those independents that work on HD's that it is a Buell. ;)

mitt

·
Registered
403 Posts
One word. NO.
I have to drive 1 1/2 hrs to my dealer and have been there 3 times already for warranty issues.
If you could work on your bike I would feel different.
But I think there was some good advise about getting a used 2 valve monster.
You would be very happy with an SV.
Man I thought my dealer was far.
I also have no independent shops around here that work on them.
Good luck.
Gator

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Well, I have a dealer about an hour away, but I refuse to take my bikes there. My mechanic is about 500 miles away in Las Vegas and he works on all 3 of my Ducs. However, I do a significant amount of my own maintenance so he only sees my bike about once a year.

Other locals here in Santa Fe go as far as Denver and Tucson.

Even if you don't have the facilities or knowledge to do some of your own maintenance, any indy shop with some experience can do most of the chassis and suspension work and a good shop/mechanic may even take on learning how to do the 2v valve adjustments.

If you're going by Ducati's maintenance recommendations, the 600 mi service is just an oil change with general checks and adjustments. The valve clearance check isn't scheduled until 6000 miles, although I've heard from several professionals that I respect that a check at 1000 mi is a good idea.

HTH,
--Fillmore

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you'd really enjoy having a Monster, but you also wouldn't enjoy having a Monster and no dealer available. There's simply too much warranty work that happens with Ducatis. My '02 S4 has had 11 claims in 2 years. That's higher than the average, but it's happened nonetheless.

The bikes are beautiful (well, some used to be :mad:), great handling, sound teriffic, and have an unmistakable aura. They are also rarely trouble-free and, on top of that, need maintenance more often than the competition. Your situation would become difficult at times.

The SV650 is a great bike. Buy it and enjoy. Get a Monster when you have the time/resources to work on it and spend some quality time with your pusher/Ducati dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
....the nearest dealer was 4-5 hours away from you? I want a monster in the worst way and am still trying to talk myself into buying it instead of a SV650S but my nearest dealer is at least 5 hours from here. Would you own a Ducati if you couldn't get quick service for your bike and couldn't do service yourself? I have a Suzuki dealer right here in town.
Lousiana right? Where exactly are you at? You could try Eximport in Houston (http://www.eximport.com/main.htm
)

Here is a map, not sure how far it is away http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...7074&country=US&addtohistory=&submit=Get Map

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I'm in Monroe....so advanced motorsports in DFW is a bit too far, New Orleans is pretty far also..Houston is about 7 hours for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts