1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am not sure, but I think putting a 1098 kit in your 1000 would be a better way to go.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
kopfjager said:
I am not sure, but I think putting a 1098 kit in your 1000 would be a better way to go.
The 1098 is the new superbike. The most common big bore kit for the 1000ds is a 4mm overbore, which gives you exactly the same displacement as the new '1100' aircooled motors; 1078cc. I don't know if there have been any changes to the cams or valves to go along with the new bore, but I'm guessing not. They claim 95hp and 76 foot lbs torque, which correlates pretty closely to the 96 horsepower and 78 foot lbs torque I'm getting out of my bored M1000. Additionally, with the overbore kit you get to keep your dry clutch :) And it's probably cheaper.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry, I thought the kit was 1098. (I know the new SBK is 1098)

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteveG said:
The 1098 is the new superbike. The most common big bore kit for the 1000ds is a 4mm overbore, which gives you exactly the same displacement as the new '1100' aircooled motors; 1078cc. I don't know if there have been any changes to the cams or valves to go along with the new bore, but I'm guessing not. They claim 95hp and 76 foot lbs torque, which correlates pretty closely to the 96 horsepower and 78 foot lbs torque I'm getting out of my bored M1000. Additionally, with the overbore kit you get to keep your dry clutch :) And it's probably cheaper.
Are you talking about this?
F27562 FBF Big Bore kit for Ducati DS 1000 engines $389.00
F44560 DynoJet Power Commander- Ducati (Monster 1000/1000SS 2004-Present) $329.00
F45541 Fast By Ferracci Air Power Filters for Ducati by BMC (FILTER - FBF Perf, S4 (All)/Monster (All 02-Pres.)) $49.95
http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=view

I was thinking of getting this.

Are you happy with what you got? Can you really notice a difference?

G

·
kopfjager said:
Sorry, I thought the kit was 1098. (I know the new SBK is 1098)
Actually from what I read the new SBK is really 1099cc, but Ducati was worried that a 1099 (said: ten-ninety-nine) would remind everyone about the dreaded income tax form :-X .

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pt33 said:
Actually from what I read the new SBK is really 1099cc, but Ducati was worried that a 1099 (said: ten-ninety-nine) would remind everyone about the dreaded income tax form :-X .
Really? That is funny.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
Can you really notice a difference?

[laugh] [laugh] ;D :eek: :eek: >:D

Yes, a big difference. A really big difference. 78 foot pounds of torque is more than an s4rs, and mine was measured at the wheel... Of course it hits lower in the rpm range than the 4 valvers, and tapers off sooner; I'm not making (of course) nearly the same horsepower. I'm kinda more a torque junkie anyway, so it works for me. I got pistons by Pistal from BCM, along with exchange cylinders, and gaskets. If doing it again I would have my original jugs bored by millenium (no good reason, just to keep the original engine components together), but that's who BCM use anyway. That's who everyone uses; it's about $240/jug or something like that to have them bored. I can put you in touch with some 99mm pistons, which really will get you close to 1100, if you want to try them let me know. I didn't becuase in the end I was worried about the cylinder skirt thickness after the bore. It shouldn't be a problem with the 99s, but there's more margin with the 98s. (.5mm doesn't sound like a lot until you realize that you're only talking about something like 2mm to begin with!) You probably wouldn't see much more horsepower (unless seriously modding the heads) because the top end of the 1000ds seems to be pretty much limited by the motors (in)ability to breath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts