Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my black/white 2006 S2R1000 however one of the nice features of the naked dus is the frame...with my colour scheme - the trelis frame does not stand out....or even that noticable...

From the searches I've done the right thing to do is basically dismantle the entire bike and then clean up the welds, cut off unused brackets, clean-up the wiring....etc...

I may for go the cleaning up of the welds if there is a way I can paint hte frame without fully dismantling the bike...

Has anyone repainted the frame by carfully masking off areas and removing bare minimum items?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Strip the bike, sand-blast the frame and have it powder coated, or check into buying a new frame from Ducati, you might be able to get a naked one if you're patient.

On my own bikes I'd powder coat only due to durability when wrenching on the bike.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The ? was can it be done without stripping the bike

·
Registered
616 Posts
Im sure u cud, BUT

- there will be a few areas where u wont get any paint on, may be visible or hopefully not
- It may not be as durable since u didnt get paint all the way around the frame, it will eventually start peeling off at the edges.

Is def possible, but no matter how goot the paint material is, due to the fact that its not done right, it wont last for ever.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It would be next to impossible to get a descent, lasting, run-free coat (or relatively run-free) with minimal over spray without stripping...

If you wanted a cheap-n-nasty look then it will be ok, but having done this first hand I can assure you, you need to strip it.
There is a lot of trellis on the inside that needs painting, etc that you just simply can't do properly without (risking) ruining it.

The other problem is you need to prep the frame properly or the paint won't last/it will peel. Dificult with out striping it... - Chris

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I have a S2R1k as well, Black&Silver, I'd love to have a red trellis frame but I'm afraid I can't wrench worth a damn! I wonder what someone would charge to take it all apart, powder coat it and put it back together. I'm guessing not many shops would be willing to do that unless you paid a kings ransom [laugh]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
dlovely said:
I have a S2R1k as well, Black&Silver, I'd love to have a red trellis frame but I'm afraid I can't wrench worth a d**n! I wonder what someone would charge to take it all apart, powder coat it and put it back together. I'm guessing not many shops would be willing to do that unless you paid a kings ransom [laugh]
I think most of the extra $$ cost would come from the labour hours that is needed. I think 2 hours to dismantel with x2 people, and 4-5 hours to reassemble x2 people.... Plus prepping, painting costs on top. Maybe someone like Speedzone (sponsor) Duckstew (member on here) or Ducpainter (member on here) could give you a better idea. - Chris

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thaks Guys for your replies!

I wonder what someone would charge to take it all apart, powder coat it and put it back together. I'm guessing not many shops would be willing to do that unless you paid a kings ransom
Yes..the silver/Black also have the black frames that do not stand out....Red would be stunning ...I'm considering Red also and will have the swingarm to match...

I suspect it would be a significant cost to ensure it is done properly - If I go that route I'll likely strip down the bike myself and just take my time re-assebling it. Key thing to me is a quality assembly and not having issues with missed items or incorrect assembly...

I'm not giving up on the idea of removing some components and carefully masking off area's I dont want painted.....the "inter" trellis will remain black - as long as the streering head and outside trellis are painted with resonable quality I'd be happy.

As far as the paint peeling - if the frame is prepped properly the paint will stick despite not going all the way around the frame....I'm only interested in painting the frame from the side covers forward.

I'm not keen on taking off/re-installing the the Zard system ....I know this is lame...

I want that frame Ferrari red ... [laugh]

Will keep you posted....

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
2cati said:
Thaks Guys for your replies!

- If I go that route I'll likely strip down the bike myself and just take my time re-assebling it. Key thing to me is a quality assembly and not having issues with missed items or incorrect assembly...

As far as the paint peeling - if the frame is prepped properly the paint will stick despite not going all the way around the frame....I'm only interested in painting the frame from the side covers forward.

I'm not keen on taking off/re-installing the the Zard system ....I know this is lame...

I want that frame Ferrari red ... [laugh]

Will keep you posted....

Thanks Again!
Good luck 2cati!. Your first option that i quoted is how I did it. First timer, by myself. Its honestly not that hard, and I picked up a Haynes manual and took plenty of photos when something looked tricky! - Chris

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've done the tear down/ re-build on a lot of bikes, including 4 ducatis. it's not as difficult as it looks. 2 superbikes, a multistrada, and a monster. it gets easier every time. I don't even take notes/pictures any more, all the important stuff including electrical connectors has it's own place. In fact, the monster is probably the easiest of the bunch.

where are you guys located? I could lend a hand or do the job for you for a few bills. I also have a couple of powdercoating contacts. cost to blast and p'coat should be anywhere from $150-$300. and powdercoating is definitely the way to go. paint just doesn't hold up as well.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Making the frame the same color as your stripe would be money. give that some thought before throwing another color on the bike to match after market parts too down the road.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where are you guys located?
Thanks! I'm in the Toronto Area ..Canada

Making the frame the same color as your stripe would be money.
Yes..I've considered white....probably the right colour given the wheels & stripe....but red just looks soo good...but to your point another colour...

Either way I'm going to paint or powder coat it...the decison will be made once it's stripped...

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
well if you go for the powdercoat, and your stripping the bike I might suggest everything is apart man. PowderCoat the Swingarm, the triple clamps, the rearsets, the passenger pegs, handlebars, levers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts