Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Xmas all.

'Twas raining in Melbourne Oz this morn so I decided to come to grips with adjusting my rear suspension which has been troubling me with some banging over bumps at high speed.

After mucking around awhiles I have discovered that there is some movement at the upper and lower shock mountings.

Question - is there any adjustment possible for this problem or do I need new bushes or bolts or what ??

21,000 km.

WTSDS

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey WTSDS,

I have not replaced the rear suspension bushes on a monster but i did have a early model 900SS with that same problem.

The movement usually comes from rose joints that develop movement over time and are located at the top and bottom of the rear shock.

The rose joints in the shock eyelets can be drifted out then new ones put in. I think Ducati says to replace the whole rod or whatever ::), my very good non brainwashed old school Ducati mechanic did it, better than new.

If its the same setup as the SS do not forget to put back the o rings between the shock eyelet and the frame mount, there's a small groove for them either side of the eyelet.

I dont think you will be able to put in Rose joints with a grease nipple because of how the joint goes into the eyelet.

Cheers

Richie

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Richie.

Thort so, but can't see why they are rose jointed - RJ's are for when there's rotational or angular movement and there shouldn't be either for the monoshock arrangement, and they wear out real quick - ideal for racing.

And they are expensive.

" my very good non brainwashed old school Ducati mechanic did it, better than new. "

I don't have enough brains to wash so I'm gonna knock up some Nylon ( Delrin ) bushes, should do the trick for me.

WTSDS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts