Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just picked up a 1995 Ducati M900. The store where i bought it from is currently closed right now, and i have all day to work with the bike. The engine just wont start. I chekced over the forums for some help, but didnt find what i was looking for. Heres my current situation.

My Bike, when it does start, is strong and it has no problem moving around, and starting back up. I can shut it of and turn it back on, in a dime. However the intial start is almost impossible. Im not sure what it is. I just installed a new battery. The engine will want to turn over, and at one point it will start to cycle but then die immediately. After trying to start it for a long time (3-4mins) it wont even turn over. Im not sure whats wrong here. When i installed the battery last night it had some problems cranking, but after i let it sit for about 5mins it started right now. The fuel cutoff switch is set to on, and its running perfectly fine. Any ideas? How can i check for a spark or how do i get to the carb on this bike?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just tried to push start, no go. No spark. The engine wont turn over. but the dash lights and headlights all work. Could i have popped the fuse from trying to start so many times?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
you probably drained the battery from cranking it so much.

lets start with the basics... are you engaging the choke when you are attempting a cold start?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I haven't been a member too long, but it's funny how many of these 'my new ducati won't start' threads there are.

then 99% of the time the battery is weak. :)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
has the battery been thoroughly charged? In my experience, many new batteries still need charging.

+1 on the choke and weak battery....the choke is definitely important for a cold start. You could try jumping from a car, (w/ the car off!), and if it starts, I would think all signs point to battery.

and, Welcome to the board! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey I changed the battery last night. I loaded up the cells and installed it. the bike still had problems ccranking. after 4 or five cranks it startedup and every time after that night it charged right up. it won't even try to turn over now. :( jump starting with the car off is the same procedure as a car right? just nmake sure the car is of? ill try that when I get home today. if that is the case how do I fully charge the batt? it was a dry charge cell.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not use the choke it was 65 outside today. can using the choke toomuch cause the engine to build up wit carbon becuase its often below 40 here.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
65!?!?! I'm jealous.

it's bad to use the choke to keep the throttle high while the bike is warming up.

only use as much choke as you have to too keep it running. too little and it will won't start or will stall out. too much and you will get fouled plugs. all vehicles (even FI cars/bikes) run the A/F rich for cold start, so don't sweat it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Use the choke. Full choke and after it starts then turn down the choke to a fast idle ~2-2.5k rpms.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
noted. its been an hour and a half since I tried to start it so I'm gonna go back and try to start the bike if it turns over I'm gonna try and do a jump. wil trying to crank a bike for 2 or 3 mins drain the batt? excuse me for my mis spellings I'm ona sidekick right now.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pernemently or just a little bit? **** dude, i totally just cucked up, While trying to take the seat of to jump the bike, i bent the key. I only have one key. wtf do i do now.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
it's a new battery, right? so you could just jump it and ride it around for a little to charge it back up or throw it on a charger for a few hours.

sounds like you should just take it for a ride though. since it's 65 out!!! so jealous... grrrr

you're on your own with the bent key...

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how long should i ride for to charge it up? its freggin raining right now lol. the key...how strong is it... These arent laser cutkeys where i need to like get a special person to make copies of are they? Hey Sur4die can you get on AIM?

Yes its a brand new battery.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
i wish i could get on AIM, but i'm at work. damn the man and his technological censorship!

i'd like to talk with you sometime though, i have a '96 M900 that i just picked up in October, so I'm probably going to hit a lot of the same new owner/old monster problems that you will have.

a 40-60 min ride should get you good.

the keys are machine cut, but finding a blank might be a little tough.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
sur4die said:
i wish i could get on AIM, but i'm at work. d**n the man and his technological censorship!

i'd like to talk with you sometime though, i have a '96 M900 that i just picked up in October, so I'm probably going to hit a lot of the same new owner/old monster problems that you will have.

a 40-60 min ride should get you good.

the keys are machine cut, but finding a blank might be a little tough.
Most locksmith/key shops will have at least 1 key that will work, (sometimes the same as the blanks used for Kawasaki's), and you can find ducati blanks on ebay, or order a titanium one from Proitalia or from one of the sponsors.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. as far as the key go, its machine cut so i bought a few blanks on ebay. Ran me 20 bucks each, bought 2 of them. I jumped the bike and it started up fine. I left the cables on for an hour to let it charge up, and left it on for 30mins and rode it around for another 30. The bike was able to start off its own power. Now, i just need to see if it wil start up by it self tommrow. It turned out the cables to the battery werent making full contact. My spark plugs were covered in carbon as well. Cleaned them up and all that shabang. Now i need to get access to the carb to clean it.
Thanks for all the help guys! sure4die, i have the M900 in Chomo. =D

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, i waited 2 hours. The **** lost its charge again. WHAT THE STANK! Should i return the battery to autozone or should i buy a charger for this thing? The Bike is mechanicly sound, its the shitty battery! When i jump it, the bike starts perfectly fine. And when i ride it around and let the alternator charge up, the bike will start back up on a dime. Now, i turn it to the on position and you can see my headlights are weaker than when it was actully on and running. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Usually when you buy a new motorcycle battery you need to charge it.
Usually this is done with a ~1 amp charger for ~10-12+ hours.
When you buy a dry cell battery, you should not fill up the cells.
I've never bought a motorcycle battery from autozone, and probably never will.

What I would do - if it's a dry cell and you've popped the caps of and filled it with H20, take it back, lesson learned, at least you'll get a core charge for it. If not, buy yourself a battery tender or other small battery charger and plug it in at least over night, then give it a try.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
VermontDuc said:
You do have to fill some motorcycle batteries with acid when you first buy them... then you charge it up.
Not dry cells.
(thus the dry part.)

(I have always had the shop fill it up for me. They'll charge them too, but you need to give them a day.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts