Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 2 bros slip-ons on my '03 800 and sometimes the bike won't start. I takes a few minutes everytime. Does the ECU need remapping or some type of adjustment?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the exhaust really should make no difference at all in the bike starting or not. anything else changed at all? anything else disturbed during the exhaust installation?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing bro, nothing at all. I can't figure it out. I just went out and tried a new technique: turning the key to on while already pressing the starter. It seems to work on the 3rd try.
You don't think the ECU needs adjusting?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
second time i heard this. richer mixture did fix the problem. the thread is on this site somewhere. try it, nothing to loose, and your bike will like it anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'lo ,

Howie is right

i've had the same problem ,

richer mixture solved the problem .

greetz
Tom

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm new to the fuel talk. Please explain what a richer mixture is and your experiences that caused you to resort to it. I just wanna make sure we're on the same field. As for me, when I turn my key, all that is supposed to happen happens except when I push the starter, it wouldn't start. I own an 2003 800 by the way.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
previously mdark750 had a somewhat similar issue - in his case he had swapped the entire exhaust system to termi's - oversized pipes and cans. the bike was very lean - in fact on the edge lean so that when he changed out the pipes the reduction in the static pressure or exhaust pressure apparently put him over the edge and he was too lean to start. richer mixture fixed the problem immediately.

fuel mixture rich simply refers to the fuel/air ratio - richer is more fuel and leaner is less.

however, since you only changed out the slip-ons i'm w/ strati in that this may not be the same problem. trying a slightly richer mixture to see if it has an affect won't hurt though. remember 1 or 2 asprin - not the whole bottle - too rich and you'll cause other problems.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey dread,
one more q just to clarify here. when you hit the starter button, does the starter engine crank over or do you get "nothing" at all?
i keep thinking the exhaust has nothing to do with this and that maybe there's an electrical connection that may've gotten loose during a recent ride.
check out the following pic... there's a small white connector right between the two black connectors that lead from your battery... if this white connector has an intermittent/loose connection, your starter won't be responsive:

this pic is of my s4 but i'm pretty sure your m800'll be similar. it's on the right side, a bit under the fuse box. you can't see the white connector in the pic but the arrow points to about where it is.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sopke to my mechanic and he thinks it might be the relay.When I turn the key the lighting comes on, you hear the fuel pump get ready-all is normal. It's just when the start button is pressed, nothing happens.
Strati I'll check out that wire this afternoon.
Tdaddy, it sounds real good bro, let me know when you get back in town and we'll link.
Is there any way to override the relay, possible even disconnect the immobolizer? I'd had to get stuck somewhere especially not by my own faults.
I'm dropping the bike of Saturday for servicing anyhow.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The only way to lose the immobilizer is go with the FIM ECU. Also there is no one right now that can remap the 5.9s. There are some adjustments that can be done by a dealer with the Ducati Scan tool, but as of now thats it. The FIM 5.9 in my 02 M620 works brilliantly

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay I know now you can replace the relay
w/o the immobilizer being an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts