How many cc's is your bike?

• Li'l bitty guy: less than 600 cc's)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally get this reaction :eek: when I tell people the cc's of my Monster. It started out as a relatively docile, aging 900cc twin with some compression issues a few years ago. Even then people would take a look at me and tell me that I was going to kill myself. When I bought it, I didn't even know what a cc was. The guy who had it didn't bat an eye when I plopped my little self on top of his up-for-sale beast either. I've since had the top end of the engine rebuilt and added a little oomph with a big bore kit, bringing the displacement of the old girl to a hefty 944 cc's. I tweaked the gearing a touch, too, just to make it pull off the line a bit quicker.

The Duc was my second bike. I owned a GS500 prior/concurrently and weened myself off of it over the course of a year while I learned to manage the M900. At first the power seemed a bit unwieldy, but after a few weeks of switching back and forth between the Duc and the GS, I could adjust my riding style with some work. After riding nothing but the Monster for a few months while m'boy tore down the Suzuki, I couldn't go back to the seemingly anemic 500. Now I don't know if I ever can go back to a "little bike"--at least not for the street.

I've ridden on other people's 620's, 695's, 250's, thumpers (I've no idea what the size of the engine was on it but I'm assuming it was smaller.) They all were fun, but geez....I'd twist the throttle and look down at my watch waiting for something to happen. [laugh] I think these bikes are great. I own a Yamaha FZR400 now as a matter of fact and keep it for dedicated track use. I really enjoy smaller bikes and their forgiving nature in certain settings.

For the street, I like a nice, big bike. I really like a big twin, if I have to get picky. I love the torque and knowing that when I romp on the gas things are gonna happen quickly. It's not totally an ego thing.... I feel that I need the power given where I ride (my bike is pretty much my sole transportation for my daily commute from Oakland over the Bay Bridge into San Francisco.) Perhaps a better rider can get by with less, but nothing makes up for a nice chunk of grunt when I make my guy ride cupcake on the back of the Monster. (And he loves every minute of it. [thumbsup]) There's also the "fun" factor. I have to admit--I like doing my pathetic little 9:05 wheelies. I like going 130 mph once in a great while. There's a little bit of ego in there. People don't realize that the 944 only makes maybe 85 hp (about the equivalent of today' SV650) but I get a touch more respect because of the big cc #.

I've been contemplating my next bike...hopefully it won't be for a while. I'd like to get a few more years out of my Monster, but she's a 1994, and the writing's on the wall. I thought about going smaller, but I can't do something that doesn't put out the power that I currently enjoy. In fact, I think I'm going to go bigger--just a little. I don't need a 'Busa, but I'm definitely going to be looking into a liter bike for my next Duc as a possibility. If I can find a Monster with the power that I get now with less displacement and less weight, I'm going for it. Perhaps the 848??

So ladies...what's your reasoning behind the size of your bike? What are your likes and dislikes about it? Was the size of your bike your decision alone or were other people pushing you to go smaller/bigger? What are your thoughts about women on larger displacement rides in general?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it really depends on what you are comfortable with. I grew up riding dirt bikes with my brother's and then when they were old enough, they got street bikes, so I progressed into riding those.

I have ridden all cc sportbikes (600's, 750's, and 1000). They all have a lot different feel, but I have found the R6 to be a better all around bike then the 750 or 1000, which are more fun on the track. The R6 is going to my track bike and I am going to get a monster for street riding.

Victoria

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of women tend toward smaller bikes and I wondered how many of them felt pressured into it. I was reading another board last night and one of the women mentioned that she had been reluctant to get a larger bike until after she was divorced. I guess her husband had actually told her that he didn't think she could handle it. A few other ladies chimed in with similar experiences with family, boyfriends, salespeople. Surprised me....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own a HD Sportster 883 which I did every possible mod to turn it into a performance machine including a full upgrade to 1200 kit, high cam, exhaust, performance carbs, etc etc. I'm always ahead of my other lady friends on M620 and Moto Guzzi Breva 750. Despite the power and heavy weight, I can manage to ride at ease, even through bumper to bumper traffic jams.

Then I decided to go for an addition and bought the M620. The height was the initial major issue as I am only about 5 feet tall. After lowering it enough to just tip toe on 1 foot, I started riding the Duc with my lady pals. I am nervous and less comfortable despite the lighter weight and more easier handling as compared to the Sportster. I do not handle that well in tight traffic on the Duc, worrying all the time that if I need to stop - I can't find my support when needed. That thought gives a bit of chill to my spine each time I ride the duc.

Riding on highways or freeways are different story altogether. If some one holds the bike enough for me to hop on bikes of any size or power - I can just ride my guts out. But back in the real world, before getting into the freeways, there are some town roads and traffic to beat and slow rpm riding is seriously challenging if you are not comfy confident with the bike.

The morale here is that - you have to be comfy & confident with the ride, regardless of make, size or cc's. In principle, I can ride anything provided I reconfigure the bike to fit my height and when I need the support, both toes can be there at ease. If not, no matter how small the cc is, I will still be intimidated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"So ladies...what's your reasoning behind the size of your bike? What are your likes and dislikes about it? Was the size of your bike your decision alone or were other people pushing you to go smaller/bigger? What are your thoughts about women on larger displacement rides in general?"

For my Harley (first ever bike) it was originally because it felt the most comfortable to sit on, especially the narrow seat in the crotch area. Hubby did suggest going with the 1200 instead of the 883 because of the larger gas tank and the quick outgrow factor. I have not done any mods on it except different footpegs and I'll still happy with it's performance and looks.

For my Duc, it was different because I looked and tried everything out there in the sport bike category, but nothing felt good or looked good. I wasn't thrilled sitting on the 695 monster even though all the sales people said that's where I should start. Then there in the corner was Baby and that was the WOW I was looking for. Hubby didn't fear for my life on such a powerful bike because he knows I'm not speed crazy. It is a bike that never needs to be upgraded like a small diamond and I will only grow into it, not out of it. Yesterdays ride on it showed it will take longer to become one with it (little choppy on the throttle for some reason) but there is no set date to get there.

My only requirement for both bikes was feeling secure on it and that meant feet firmly planted on the ground. Next was looks because if it didn't turn me on then chances were I wouldn't bother to want to ride it. I love both my bikes and I love them for different reasons and for their different riding styles. There is nothing I truly dislike about either. They both have stiffer clutches than I would prefer, but with more riding that may become a non factor with experience and hand strength.

So in my opinion, a larger engine size is not a deal breaker if you have self control and respect for all that muscle. I would never eliminate a bike because of it since nothing says you have to whale on it to keep up with the boys. [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hmmmm.... I guess my hubby is a little different than most men.... he's actually been encouraging me to go as 'big' as I want. ;D He gave me his old '88 CBR600 Hurricane to learn on after I got 'tired' of the 250 Rebel. Then, he bought me a brand new S2R800 for my birthday. Talk about a surprise [not to mention the 'Oh sh*t, I better not drop THIS bike' moment! LOL

I love my bike... not sure I'd ever need or want a liter bike, but hey, you never know. I also like knowing that when I twist the throttle, I know something fun is going to happen. I agree it might be a little bit of ego - who's not to get that little twinge of 'evil fun' when you start the bike and head out, knowing you can hold your own with the 'big boys'??

I find myself really drooling over the 848..... LOVE the pearl white...... hubby is drooling over the 1098, so I'm sure we'll end up with another Duc at some point. I just told him to let me sit on whatever he plans to buy so I can make sure the height is okay for me too! ;D ;D

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
A lot of women tend toward smaller bikes and I wondered how many of them felt pressured into it. I was reading another board last night and one of the women mentioned that she had been reluctant to get a larger bike until after she was divorced. I guess her husband had actually told her that he didn't think she could handle it. A few other ladies chimed in with similar experiences with family, boyfriends, salespeople. Surprised me....
Funny, I was being pressured into larger bikes when I was starting out. :p

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now, this is just what I was talkin' about with a friend of mine the other day. I've noticed that as I've gotten <ahem> older, I just don't give a damn what other people think about me, or (by extension) the bike I ride or the car I drive. I really think that the obsession with cc is a guy (dick) thing, and since when do ladies need to buy into that racket? If your guy doesn't "want" you riding a big bike, maybe you need to trade in the guy.... ;)

Doesn't sound like any of the ladies on this board have this issue, though... Duc riders must be an enlightened bunch... ;D

I love my 750, does everything I ask of it and more, plus I can back it out uphill if need be.

I started out on a "safe" '82 Nighthawk 650, then moved right on to the M750. I've ridden a K1200 BMW (the sport-tourer) and never felt I couldn't handle it, but I christened it the Land Yacht for its handling. [laugh] <I'm twisting the throttle. Now. Hello? Any engine in there?>

Maybe someday I'll have the funds and feel the desire for a bigger engine, at which point I'll get one, but until then, I'm happy as a clam on the beach.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
<sorta butts in>

my wife karen is wanting to replace her 10 year old M750...and is looking at new ducs.
both the Multi and the Motard come only in 1100 flavors now, which is not a problem power or size-wise for her...it's the cost.

it's too bad the 800 motor went away...that would have been a good fit for her in one of those bikes.
the 620 is a step down power-wise...we'll have to wait and see if a 695 version comes along and how that motor feels...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have a 250, and it goes as fast as I need it to. I guess I'm not as obsessed with power as other people are. :p

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Grio said:
It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts...
+1, my 695 has more than enough power for me.

In fact I'm faster on it than I am on a bigger bike, because I'm more comfortable and confident on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
MB, There's a little problem with your poll: you have the same cc number in more than one category. For instance, is 750 cc a "Feather Weight" or a "Middle Weight?"

I ride a 750 and checked "Middle Weight," but maybe I should change my vote? 'Cause she is as light as a feather.... ;)

[It's ok, I'm not much for statistics either. :p ]

·
Registered
859 Posts
Which one of my bikes am I suppose to vote for????

I voted big boys...for my ST4; 916cc

My Monster however is a middle weight at 695cc.

I love the extra power on my ST, especially when it loaded down for a road trip. I can twist the throttle and know that it is going to get up and go. However, around town without a load, I find it hard not to speed. >:D Going more moderately slow is much easier on the Monster and gives me a bigger grin ;D ;D because it is so much more fun/easy to flick around.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KT said:
MB, There's a little problem with your poll: you have the same cc number in more than one category. For instance, is 750 cc a "Feather Weight" or a "Middle Weight?"

I ride a 750 and checked "Middle Weight," but maybe I should change my vote? 'Cause she is as light as a feather.... ;)

[It's ok, I'm not much for statistics either. :p ]
I left the poll a little ambiguous...A Gixxer 750 isn't the same as a Duc 750 for instance, and a 750 Monster isn't the same as their 748. It's open to different makes/models and therefore different interpretations to a certain extent.

DesmoD said:
Which one of my bikes am I suppose to vote for????

I voted big boys...for my ST4; 916cc

My Monster however is a middle weight at 695cc.

I love the extra power on my ST, especially when it loaded down for a road trip. I can twist the throttle and know that it is going to get up and go. However, around town without a load, I find it hard not to speed. >:D Going more moderately slow is much easier on the Monster and gives me a bigger grin ;D ;D because it is so much more fun/easy to flick around.
I believe I gave pollsters the option to vote multiple times because some gals have more than one bike by more than one manufacturer. I think I also gave voters the option to edit their votes.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Observations about myself: I personally feel like I'm encouraged to get bigger bikes by people that know me and have ridden with me. In that respect the street bike choice is where I hear more people saying that I could handle a bigger bike. The track bike seems to harder to pin down. Everyone says how much you learn on a smaller bike and my size (I'm on the smaller side) tends to make a lot of people think that I'd enjoy and do well on a smaller bike: 125cc, 250cc. A few people say that I'd be OK on an inline 600 or 650 twin, but I wouldn't feel comfortable on it in a track setting, and certainly wouldn't want anything bigger. I haven't got the skills to manage something that size on the track. I've got a lot more self-control on the street and since things are happening a lot slower there, it doesn't seem to call for the same kind of power management that I deal with on the track.

OTOH, people that don't know me typically say that I should not have a Monster as big as the one that I do. (that sounded weird when I read it back to myself... [laugh]) The only thing I find lacking in a smaller bike on the street is the torque. Top power isn't an issue per se--it's just that it takes so long to get there. [cheeky] And of course there's the posing....me n my homegurls can't power from *bux to *bux with the same panache and pull our madd wheelies on l'il bikes, yo yo. ;D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
S2R 1000

I outgrew the Yamaha Seca that was 600 cc's (actually was riding it so hard that it wasn't fun to ride). The S2R fit well with my 34" inseams (but I'm only 5'6"). Hubby suggested the 800, but once I test rode the 1000, I knew I'd found the bike for me. Nothing else would do (until I saw the S4R - and that's when hubby was willing to part with the funds!! ;))

I love the torque, the power and the fact that it's there whenever I want it - no powerband that I need to be in for it to respond to the throttle.

Yes, people have had varied reactions. Some men are suprised by the cc's - but why? It's not more difficult to ride (unless you can't touch the ground). I guess KT's right - it's a penis thing.

I'm more suprised by the women. A woman on the back of a Harley was flabberghasted when she realized that I rode the bike next to me. She actually lost her words!! Finally, she asked how I handled the weight - and told her Ducati had the weight proportioned so well, that I don't fight it like a cruiser. What suprises me is how many women have bought into this way of thinking. I was in a Ducati dealership looking at jackets, and the sales girl asked what I rode. "Ducati" "Oh one of the little bikes?" I was instantly seeing red!!! (I'm still angry while I write this). Toldher it was 1000 cc's and it shut her up (and I refuse to have her help me to this day!! :mad:)

I rarely go over 80, so it's not the top end power that thrills me. It's the low end grunt, the immediate response to the throttle, and the ease of handling that puts the HUGE smile on my face!!!

Yeah, it took me a year to grow into the cc's. I'm still VERY conservative on the throttle (do not confuse that with being intimidated by the bike - I'n not scared of her, I just realize how powerful she is and I respect that power). I wouldn't trade her for anything. love her to pieces, and if (god forbid) anything happens to her, I'm going out and getting another S2R 1000 the NEXT DAY!!!

Hope it's that way for all. Experience it. Grow into it. Love it.
laura

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As many of you know, I will be taking the MSF this year to bless myself with the ability to ride my own ride. I love riding with my beau; it makes me feel very close to him and offers a sense of oneness, however when I get to ride is dictated by when he wants to ride, and if our wants don't jive, I become a very bummed little chickie.

My boyfriend and I talked often about bike options, and looked through local classifieds almost constantly. I researched seat heights until my eyes were crossed (I'm 4'11" and to say my inseam is 28 is being generous). There were plenty of bikes that I probably could have gotten by on, but right from the start I knew I wanted something small. I wanted it to be big enough to cruise the highway without being miserable, but I didn't want to be afraid of it.

If I would have bought a bigger bike, and gone out and scared myself to the point where I didn't want to ride again, I would be absolutely crushed. Riding solo is non-negotable at this point. So, for me it was a Suzuki Bandit 400. It's small, low, relatively light, and... it's naked.

Since it's a 4 cylinder, I think I will be able to appreciate it's 14K redline for some time without getting bored. They are known to be soft down low, so if I accidentally grab a handful of throttle I have a chance to recover before it really punishes me.

My BF encouraged me to look at smaller bikes, but I don't think it was because he thought I couldn't handle bigger ones... I think it was simply because he wanted to see me get something that I would enjoy, instead of something that I might be fighting while trying to tackle the learning curve.

I've heard many full grown men gush on about how they love their little Bandit 400's, so I'm guessing this is going to be one fun, neat bike once it's finished and I have a handle on riding.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts