Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well taking the ol' monster into Ducati Marin for a 12K service, fork internals upgrade, new chain and sprockets and assorted other bitty stuff. I'm going to have them send my tach off to Palo Alto to get fixed (it started bouncing around like it was posessed), so no bike for a while :(

This of course means the weather will instantly clear and the days will be balmy, right?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
LOL.. oh man!!! Michael it's got to be about 60's out there and not a cloud in the sky...... ;D

Hey if you need my bike, just let me know
jijiji... I though this kind of things only happened to me

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dude! What are you gonna do?! Shall we all converge on your place to lend our support to a hooligan in need, or would that only make matters worse? Hang in there bro; it's still cold enough to wish I had a hot tub to come home to. ;D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Michael, don't feel so bad.... My monster will be in the shop also. besides, January is the best month to get things done. lots of rain. Better now than during the riding months of April - September.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In fact, I'm riding tomorrow! Nana nana nana! Who can join a southbay run?
Cesar.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for the offers guys. It was beautiful today and I saw lots of riders out there, plus what looked to be a two-bike accident in Tam Valley. I should have the beast back in a week or so, minus a tidy wad of cash.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man, I got a call from the shop yesterday and apparently my horizontal cylinder exhaust valve is leaking something like 80%. This seems pretty weird since it seemed to run fine when I rode it in and I think I'd notice something like that.

Anyway, it has to be fixed, no? So now a few more days with no bike. Feeling just a bit grumpy...

·
Registered
571 Posts
So now a few more days with no bike. Feeling just a bit grumpy...
2 years since my Monster was totalled back in the UK...Still miss it, I come here to get my fix ;D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Michael,

If you don't mind, how much was the internal fork service and what exactly were they doing? I need to get both fork seals done on my bike and now that i finally have a jallopy as an extra vehicle i think its time.

-mike

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duc of Marin quoted $385 for new Racetech springs, valves, oil and the labor to put it all together.

The other place in the bay area that gets a lot of positive reviews is Aftershocks in Palo Alto. I talked to them too and they seem good, just that Marin is closer and the bike was out of commission anyway...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you take your forks to aftershocks (obviously they're removed from the bike if you take them in), their prices are very competitive. also, since they do race set-ups for racers all the time, they'll dial in your suspension for you... meaning your Ohlins suspension, which is already the monkey's ass, will be the ass of the monkey's ass when they're done with it.

also, update on suspension products, direct from the aftershocks guru...

#1 - Ohlins
#2 - Penske (for what you pay, Ohlins is better.... Penske is more expensive for the same quality part)
#3 - Fox - less expensive and lower quality than Ohlins
#4 - Suchs... i mean Sachs (self explanatory)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I sent AfterShocks an email this morning and they said $220 to rebuild the forks (non adjustable showas) and the shock (i dont even know what it is..). Including seals, scapers, oil and tax with a turn-around time of 3-4 days. Using the original springs etc cause this economy is rough. :)

I figure I'll run them down there early next week if i finish battling this sars or ebola virus or whatever it is that i caught on monday. Thanks!

-mike

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Daffe, the Penske two-way sells for the same as Ohlins, around $650. Don't know what the technical differences are, but price-wise, I've seen them running the same.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I sent AfterShocks an email this morning and they said $220 to rebuild the forks (non adjustable showas) and the shock (i dont even know what it is..). Including seals, scapers, oil and tax with a turn-around time of 3-4 days. Using the original springs etc cause this economy is rough. :)

I figure I'll run them down there early next week if i finish battling this sars or ebola virus or whatever it is that i caught on monday. Thanks!

-mike

they said they could do my front forks (maintenence job... change the crappy oil out, etc, which they mentioned should be done every 20,000), rework my rear shock all in about 2 hrs or so ... will take my notebook PC to play around on it for a while when I go there since I will be waiting for my bike.

Daffe, the Penske two-way sells for the same as Ohlins, around $650. Don't know what the technical differences are, but price-wise, I've seen them running the same.
you have a link or photo that I can reference? I can ask about the Penske 2-way when I go there next week, but they seem to be touting Ohlins as the way to go if you want to drop the $$ for one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts