Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Ducati Performance electronic analog tach for my '97, which came with no instructions, and no mounting bucket/bracket. I'm going to get a bracket fabbed up, but I do need to find a 'bucket' for it - and more importantly, instructions. It has four leads that come off the backside - 2 yellow and 2 black. Included was a clip that holds three wires, which looks to plug into the back of the unit.

Anybody familiar with these? This is going onto a '97 m750, which didn't come with any tach whatsoever (I don't mind invading the wiring harness, but it would be good to know which wires to splice into).

My other issue is finding the right bucket in which to sit the unit; it'll be a stand alone gauge, so it won't be going into a cluster.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'd use a bucket for protection from rain, bugs, etc.. You should find a selection at auto parts stores or catalogs. You should have 3 wires: 1 ground; one pick-up; and one for interior light. Splice the pick-up wire into a coil induction wire, ground the ground, and hook up the light to any always on source like running lights.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I'm definitely going to put the gauge in some sort of cup ... it'd be nice if it were an OEM-looking, black PVC plastic one, but really I'll almost settle for whatever. I still need to fab up a bracket/holder for it - I'm planning to sit it right in the middle of the top triple - I've had clip-ons on the bike for a while now, so the handlebar riser mounting holes are just sitting there empty. Perfect to hold my new gauge.

Otherwise, It's from DP, it's listed as an "electric analog tachometer", p/n: 96502100A

As I mentioned, there are four leads off the back, 2/ea black and yellow. At about 2 o'clock in the picture is the port for the 3-wire plug (which is in the bag, along with 3 metal wire crimps). And that's all I got ... so I'm a bit on the stumped side with what to plug into what, and where.

Should I have a barrel fuse in-line somewhere between the tach and the ... I don't know? Red side of the battery somewhere?

Color me clueless ...

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Another reason why I try to avoid DP, I guess do some trial and error. Nothing should go directly to the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts