Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides doing our oil changes and adding the fuel additive. Do you guys remove the batteries from your bike? Yesterday I just wanted to hear her purr so I started her up in the garage. She wasn't all too pleased with that, kinda groggy at first. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
724 Posts
hey jason.

yeah. your gonna want to take out that battery i believe. the best is to get a trickle charger (about 30 bucks) and just leave it on that all winter.

some prefer to charge it like once a month, or some just leave it on the charger all winter (it wont do any damage)

hope it helps...

G

·
well supposedly according to what ive read, once uve done all ur winterizing ur technically not supposed to start ur bike anymore. part of the reason is cuz of the cold air, condensation can form in ur pipes when u start her up and can potentially cause it to rust. this however didnt stop me last year from starting my bike once every few weeks. i did not remove my battery and connect it to a trickle down charger.

also make sure to move ur bike a few inches once a week or every other so u dont get flat spots on ur tires.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the bike up on stands, so moving it shouldn't be an issue. I guess I'll just remove the battery and let her sit out the winter =*(

I wish we lived in LA!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Jason your supposed to remove the battery if it is in a non heated area like a cold garage due to the fact if you leave it in it could crack and drip ACID all over your baby. so do yourself a favor and take it out and buy the trickle charger and put it in the basement on charge all winter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
yeah.

i dont think your gonna wanna start it while its got all of its winterizing crap in there.

it may be tempting. but try to lay off.

i like chicago and all, but this cold weather sometimes.... :-/

G

·
actually i think its fine to run the bike w/ stabil in there. i think ur supposed to actually ride ur bike a few miles once u put the stabil in the tank. that way the stuff can get distributed evenly, and not just sit in the tank.

·
Registered
724 Posts
yeah.

your right. your gonna want to run the bike for like 5 minutes so gets into the carbs and such.

and you can get a decent trickle charger pretty much any auto store i image. if not, the boat shop i work at (north and elston) has 'em for like 30 bucks. or there is west marine on like 627 w. north or something and they probably have em too.

just make sure to get the motorcycle battery one and not the car battery one! so maybe you should just go to a boat store because most boat stuff is 12 volts...

cool.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sell them for 30 bucks? I live at Division and Noble, so that's like 5 minutes away. I should swing over one night after work and pick one up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
jason.

sounds good. i live right at chicago/milwaukee/ogden so we're practically neighbors. when i actually *get* my monster we'll go riding with everyone ;D

just go in there. its made by a company called guest and i want to say the model # is like 2606 or something like that.

if you go on the weekend (thats when i'm there), i can just point it out for you...

cool.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then I'll wait until the weekend. Maybe if the weather can hold out til 50 deg. I'll make it in this weekend with the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts