Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most articles that I've read on winter storage say to fill the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer to the gas. I have a walk-in basement as well as a garage and I'm thinking about storing my bike in the basement where it's warm. However, I don't want a motorcycle full of gas in the same area as a gas-fired hot air furnace and a gas-fired hot water heater. So I'm wondering if it's okay to drain the tank and maybe run the injectors free of gas before storing the bike. My bike is a 2006 S2R 1000, my first fuel-injected bike. Can anybody give me feedback on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I don't recommend draining. An empty tank can rust due to contact with air.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
yuu said:
What about for plastic tanks Nate? He's got an '06, so the tank body is plastic.
If it's plastic go for it. I missed that part. I would put a little stabilizer in the tank and run it so any fuel left in the lines, pressure regulator or injectors doesn't turn to that gooey mess todays fuel seems to turn to in small quantities before I drained it.

Good catch yuu.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I never thought about adding stabilizer before draining the fuel tank. I was worried about left over gas in the fuel pump assembly as well as the injectors so this is a great solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts