Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M1100S didn't come with any kind of windscreen and blasting through the countryside is fine up to about 150Kmh, but after that, I am hanging on to the bars just to stay on - the Tank shape and low seat don't make gripping the Tank an option, unfortunately, though I think I will have the seat pad raised next winter.

So is the factory screen useful or are there any good looking aftermarket options?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
They do help a lot. It deflects the wind to hit you in the chest as apposed to hitting your stomach when riding in upright position. Prior to having a bikini fairing on my 1200s, I could not go safely over 220kph. The wind felt like a gorilla trying to rip me of the bike.
Now I have had my bike at max speed a couple of times (270) and I can tuck under the wind with the fairing on.
Big difference for a little fairing

·
Registered
169 Posts
HUGE effect for the size of the fairing. Frankly they must have spent hours in a wind tunnel optimizing the shape. Doesn't help your legs, but really slipstreams you at high speed

·
Registered
104 Posts
HUGE effect for the size of the fairing. Frankly they must have spent hours in a wind tunnel optimizing the shape. Doesn't help your legs, but really slipstreams you at high speed
For those who believe the windscreen is beneficial, would you please let us know which brand you are referring to? I am assuming "NoS" is referring to "new old stock", which means the 1200-R stock windscreen. It would be helpful to know which specific brands you feel actually work. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, The factory one. Itty bitty bubble boy rocks. if you want even more protection, any of the GIVI offerings will work, but it is a naked bike so buffeting comes with the territory

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, The factory one. Itty bitty bubble boy rocks. if you want even more protection, any of the GIVI offerings will work, but it is a naked bike so buffeting comes with the territory
I originally had the Givi screen on my bike. I removed it coz it looked ugly. It also doesn't streamline the air like the genuine screen does
For those who believe the windscreen is beneficial, would you please let us know which brand you are referring to? I am assuming "NoS" is referring to "new old stock", which means the 1200-R stock windscreen. It would be helpful to know which specific brands you feel actually work. Thank you kindly.
I have the genuine Ducati (sports fairing) screen. Same as what is on the R models.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fitted the screen this morning and went for a blast.

Where before my tolerance for the wind blast reached its limit at 160kmh ish its now at over 200kmh. So i have won 50kmh of protection from a small screen. So size really doesn't matter. ;)

That said, the bike looked better without it. But I'll leave it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts

Where before my tolerance for the wind blast reached its limit at 160kmh ish its now at over 200kmh. So i have won 50kmh of protection from a small screen. So size really doesn't matter. ;)

Thank you for the field report. In the near future, I'll be doing a lot of highway riding on a trip, this topic interest me greatly. Also, anything on your steed that isn't carbon fiber? Let's see some more shots!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) the two POs spent ALOT of money pimping the bike and i have owned Ducatis long enough to know its cheaper to let the PO pay the carbon bill. I did pay more for the bike than i had planned but there really was nothing left to modify. Forged wheels and afull Termi system already on the bike. I'll take some more pics Wednesday when i am back in the workshop.

This weekend i swapped bikes with my riding buddy for 50km. He has 2009 Tuono. The Tuono felt slow and really heavy to turn. Its not slow, obviously, but it doesnt have the instant thrust of the monster until you reach 7k and then it really goes. Then heavy steering was a lesson in what a difference light wheels make.
Philipp loved riding the M1100 and its made him think about what he wants to do to his bike or trade up to something like a 1050 Speedtriple.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Personally I think it looks better with it. My 796 came with one and I removed it for a short time and it just seemed to be missing something. I think it streamlines the bike more IMO.

PS
They do make a carbon fiber one that would tie in with the rest of your bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My M1100S didn't come with any kind of windscreen and blasting through the countryside is fine up to about 150Kmh, but after that, I am hanging on to the bars just to stay on - the Tank shape and low seat don't make gripping the Tank an option, unfortunately, though I think I will have the seat pad raised next winter.

So is the factory screen useful or are there any good looking aftermarket options?

1618345094190.png

National Cycle N2831-002 Mohawk Flyscreen -

Same problem with the 620 monster. ended up using the stock base and cutting an aftermarket top (something like this) to fit. Theres a lot of less expensive options, the main thing is to find one with a broad spread at the top. This one deflects the wind over. shoulders and does not buffet the helmet. Had no idea it would work so well..up to 110mph. Picture of final install in my Monster Sidecar post

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spent yesterday evening trying to set the belt tension in part of my hunt for a strange noise the bike was making. The new version of the gates tensioning app in a PITA and my fingers tips are sore from belt plucking. Got both to 100hz, disassembled the clutch, gave it a clean and reinstalled it all with an non-aftermarket pressure plate. Noise seems to gone, but I think a nice long test ride is required.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts