Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cored the pipes on my 05 620 dark and now I'm thinking about removing the airbox lid and replacing it with an aluminium ring as demonstrated in other posts I've read. I really dont want the motor to melt so my question is...do i have to do anything to the ECU to alter the mixture or will it correct everything itself using the air flow meter? If i do have to make changes how do i go about making them?

Thanks in advance ;D

·
Registered
124 Posts
From what's been said here, I believe the pipe coring will not require retuning the ECU. However, when you open up the airbox, you'll have to have the ECU retuned.

Some have said the ECU can be tuned/tweaked enough to make it work. Others say you need a PCIII to get the propper mapping.

Search the board for airbox mods/cutting the airbox/anything along those lines and there should be quite a few posts in those threads that cover what people had to do when they did it. It's a mod that's done quite often with good results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice slowpoke, will c what my dealer can do with the standard ecu as PCIII are quite pricey around here! :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe (as it's been a while since I've looked into anything like this),

If you give it some riding time, and then check the plugs, you'll be able to see if they're fouling. That's a good starting point to see how you're running. You shouldn't have to worry about the engine blowing up or melting right away. I think it's a cumulative effect.

I think you can find PCIIIs from some of the sponsors or just online. And can download the map to match your bike. That would be sufficent for riding. But, wouldn't be fully "tuned" for optimum performance. I don't know if the PCIII can be installed by the owner (don't see why not though). But, if you figure paying a Duc mechanic ~$70 an hour plus dyno time fees for a couple hours to really tune your stock ecu properly, you're prolly getting close to the price of ordering a PCIII anyway. No (that could be way off as I haven't researched it specifically for the issue)?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Cored pipes and an Open airbox will lean out the mixture so you shouldn't get any plug fouling. Your right to worry about detonation, as a lean condition can cause that, but honestly the amount changed by pipes and airbox won't be enough to cause damage.

Getting it tuned after these mods will help it run better though. I'm pretty sure the factory ECU can be trimmed enough to compensate for the pipes/box. Then again a custom map on a pcIII can really wake up a bike with pipes and an open box.

Justin

·
Registered
124 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Cored pipes and an Open airbox will lean out the mixture so you shouldn't get any plug fouling.
Wasn't sure/forgot which direction that went. It's early and I didn't feel like researching. Thanks for the fix. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, went ahead and did the mod quick, it took about 10 mins, will see how it runs tonight. Going past dealer/mechanic tomorrow to pick up a new oil pressure switch so I'll get him to take a look, he's a good guy so I'm sure he wont mind tinkering a bit.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts