Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market to buy either a 04 Monster 620 or a leftover 2003. My experiences with my local dealer (see the "Test Rode a Monster..." thread) have made me consider buying the bike from another dealer.

If I can get a better deal I would travel an hour or so to buy the bike. But my main concern would be warranty. I would have to get all warranty work done at my local dealership, where I did not buy the bike.

Have any of you had experience going to other dealers for warranty work when you did not buy your bike from them?

T

·
0 Posts
I had wanted to patronize my local dealer but when I discovered I could get an '04 monster for five hundred dollars cheaper than he was asking for a '03 monster I went elsewhere. When I told the local dealer about the price I was quoted from the other shop in order to see if he could come down a bit he got pissed and alluded to how his shop would drag their feet if I bought from somebody else and needed warranty work.
I still plan on taking it to him if anything goes wrong and if he does drag his feet I won't hesitate to contact Ducati.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
In theory, yes, they all do warranty work on any bike. In practice, you may get a lot of that the previous posted quoted. There is a lot of latitude on warranties depending on how the dealer approches DNA, I doubt if your's will show much enthusiasm for you. Personally, I buy used, fix my own sh*t, & avoid my local dealer like the plague.

H

·
0 Posts
Normally, there is more money to be made in warranty service than the sale of the product. Look at the auto industry, the dealers couldn't give a sh!t where you bought your car. I know that motorcycles are a much different market, but I would think that the dealer would want to make a buck on your warranty service. They just may make you wait a while for it! ;)

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to a competing dealer this morning and asked him the question. He basically alluded to the fact that it could be a problem. He stated that obviously the dealer will take care of his own customers first. Understandable, but the interpretation of what that could mean is pretty nebulous.

I did find a dealer 2 hours away that was willing to waive the freight and destination charges on a new 2004 (saving me about $500). I think I will talk to my local dealer, explain the situation in a way that emphasizes that I appreciate them and would like to build a long term relationship with future motorcycle purchases, is there any leeway on these charges?

The 2nd dealer made it sound as if these charges were mandatory, telling me that the charges were what he pays to get the bike shipped by Ducati. When I told him my situation he told me a minute later that he could waive those charges. So, despite what the dealers will tell you it sounds as if you can negotiate those charges.

R

·
0 Posts
i bot my 996 from NY and my M800 form SF. all service locally, no problem!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Setup and delivery are not mandatory, my dealer charges MSRP...less if he has more in stock or it is an older model.

gnew

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My local shop did not have any M900 holdovers when I was looking. Only used and S4's, which I didn't want. So I bought out of state, and saved $3k over what they were quoting for a new one to boot.

That said, on the 2 occasions I've needed warranty work (new battery and new slave cylinder) the first thing out of their mouth was asking if I bought the bike there. I say no as they didn't have what I wanted when I was buying. Granted they have always honored the warranty, but I don't see why they should even ask the question. Valid warranty is valid warranty.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'm gonna buy local. I explained my situation to my dealer, showed him I was serious and he was willing to negotiate the freight and destination charges. I should be signing the papers tomorrow.

H

·
0 Posts
Sometimes, they ask that question because they can punch your name into the computer and pull up your information(bike info, date of purchase, service records), othertimes they do it for the other reasons... ::)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts