Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone,

I've been lurking here since purchasing my 1000s last spring, and have picked up lots of good info. I've just purchased an s4rs front end for my bike and would like to match the rear wheel with one from a 999 or 749. Does any one know how much of a job that will be? I think changing the wheel bearings to acomodate the 25 mm rear axle will be easy. It looks like I will need a new sproket carrier as mine has 6 lugs and the superbikes seem to all have 5 lugs. Are there any other fit or clearance issues? My wheel is the older style 3 spoke in 5.5 inch, are the superbike wheels 5.5 or 6 inch? Thanks for the input.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
i think i remember somebody telling me it's not an easy swap.

you may wanna just buy a new rear marchesini 10-spoke from a sponsor and be done with it.

G

·
It'll be a big deal to make that wheel fit. Derby is right; maybe a light weight rim designed to fit that bike is the best answer.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Since used wheels are available so much cheaper than new, I am still interested in pursuing this swap. Does anyone have details? The one thing that would stop me cold is if the wheel/sprocket carrier is too wide for the DS swing arm.

Thanks again,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
boeing737driver said:
Thanks for the replys. Since used wheels are available so much cheaper than new, I am still interested in pursuing this swap. Does anyone have details? The one thing that would stop me cold is if the wheel/sprocket carrier is too wide for the DS swing arm.

Thanks again,
Bruce
you know you have to change the bearings.

from talking to people that have looked at this mod, you'll also, at a minimum, have to get spacers custom machined. then, iirc, the rear sprocket won't line up with the countershaft, so you'll need to have a custom cushdrive made. once you're done with that, the brake/caliper don't line up, so you either get to do the "no rear brake" thing, or re-engineer your brakes.

unless you're a machinist with a lot of free time, it'll be cheaper to buy a new 10-spoke marchesini.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
boeing737driver said:
Thanks so much for the quick response. It looks like way to much work, time to start saving up for new wheels!
all you need is one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.