Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the forks off a 996 will bolt straight up to an S2R800 without modifying the triples?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
no, it's different.

(there are complete articles on the process in the link)

basically, you need to either replace the triples with parts specifically made for the project (like CycleCat) or shim the bottom and bore the top stock triples to fit the superbike forks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MonsterHooligan said:
oh, no i didnt say that...just that its a pretty big job. 8)
And I'm a pretty lazy man. ;D

Well, not really lazy, but I have so little time in my life these days, I don't want to spend any excess time or brain space on complicated mods. Rather get the mods done quick and spend my time riding.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
in that case

ST2 forks are the way to go for your specific needs.

Q ;D

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Bore out the stock top clamp, get the shims for the lower triple from MotoWheels and you're done. Everything from there is cake.

Its worth it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Rick T. said:
Bore out the stock top clamp, get the shims for the lower triple from MotoWheels and you're done. Everything from there is cake.

Its worth it.
then get clip-ons or bar risers because the 996 for tubes are longer. ask me how i know. ;)

oh and once they are set up for your weight, they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
How high up on the forks are your clipons mounted? They look only slightly lower than stock bars. How hard was it rerouting all of the lines?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Vindingo said:
How high up on the forks are your clipons mounted? They look only slightly lower than stock bars. How hard was it rerouting all of the lines?
those are 2.5 inch riser. they're flush with the bottom of the top triple. they a little lower than stock, just with different angle and sweep. re-routing was simple (i had to remove the cluster, headlight, and U-bracket), ok, so maybe not "simple"

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I did it...had the triple bored out to 53mm and used the shim kit from Motowheels for the lower triple, but instead of clip ons got the Rizoma conical low bar mount and finished it off with the Suburban Machinery handlebars.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That looks pretty slick with the Suburban Machinery bars. I just waiting for the clipons and shims before I jump in and strap everything onto the bike. What is the deal with the motowheels shims though? $15 for two strips of stainless, or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Vindingo said:
That looks pretty slick with the Suburban Machinery bars. I just waiting for the clipons and shims before I jump in and strap everything onto the bike. What is the deal with the motowheels shims though? $15 for two strips of stainless, or am I missing something?
yeah, you're missing makin' them yourself. ;D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Vindingo said:
Beer cans???

Here are some before and after pics of my new SBK forks
The purple triple and yellow fork combo was driving me crazy
looks sweet, you paint those yourself or send'em off?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Vindingo said:
Beer cans???

Here are some before and after pics of my new SBK forks
The purple triple and yellow fork combo was driving me crazy
Hey Vinny,
I've got the .5mm shimstock from when I made mine and you're welcome to it. Ping me outside of this place and we can meet up.

Those forks look great BTW.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
sennaster said:
looks sweet, you paint those yourself or send'em off?
I painted them... 3 coats of satin black enamel, and one coat of matte black. Didnt want to break them down to powder coat them or have them annodized black. Hopefully they will hold up to rock chips.

Thanks Terry, Ill shoot you a pm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts