Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;D My wife bought me an early birthday present this year. She is truly the best. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 SR4 with 750 miles on it (blue with the white stripe / stock). It has been several years since I have been on a bike so I will be taking the MSF class to become reacquainted. I will be taking it easy on the bike for quite sometime. I am fortunate in that my commute to work is mostly backroads and through a pass before dropping into town (virtually no traffic but lots of twisty turns). I no longer have riding gear so.... I need all new gear (I hate that) I was hoping that I could get some feedback on what gear I should be looking at (helmet, jacket, pants, boots gloves, etc). I am very safety oriented. I remember how much it hurts to crash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..... almost forgot... I love this site. I read it constantly.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Congratulations! She's a keeper! ;D

I'm sure you've already seen it but make sure you keep an eye on the Gear forum. I personally like Dainese, Alpinestars, Revit and Sidi. Although, while the Sidi boots are good quality they don't fit the shape of my foot so I probably won't get another pair.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, and happy birthday!
There is a Ducati event coming that a bunch of shops around the country are participating in. Fashion Night (2 Dec), I think they're calling it. I believe that many of the shops will have discounts going on some new gear. Models, food, motorcycles- a night well spent I'd think. Details can be found buried on www.ducati.com although the list of participant shops isn't complete as my local shop isn't listed (Eastside MotoSports for those in the Greater Seattle area) so you may just pick up the phone and give yours a call.

Nice wife! I say you keep her and get her riding too! At least get her some equally (read "better") gear for her and make it a family affair.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yea...I am hoping that she sticks around :) I was talking to the guys down at the shop and they had suggested that I buy protection for my back the also covers my tailbone. What they were showing me doesn't slip into the jacket but is worn between your shirt and the jacket... thoughts?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Wow, that's a wife. I would trade my current wife for a good Ducati or maybe my current Ducati for a good wife.

As for gear. For the track or weekend canyon rides, I wear a Vanson 2 piece, Sidi boots, Arai helmet, and Alpine Stars gloves. For commuting I wear the same jacket, helmet, and gloves and substitute a pair of Vanson leather overpants and Icon field armor boots. Nothing works anything like leather. Even the best cordura suits will come apart but may save you once if the fall is not bad. Good leathers can be used over and over again, just ask Spidey. There have been some complaints about Vanson's customer service and there are rumors that they may be moving production off-shore, but the current product is very crash worthy.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Back protectors are a good thing to have, there's a whole thread in the gear forum that contains a link to a really interesting comparison of back protectors. Basically TPro is on the of few that a certified CE level 2 so it's worth checking them out and anyone that resells them (like Joe Rocket - Speedmaster back protector). Covering the coccyx is a good thing, tailbone injuries can be nasty!

The 1098 will be at the Seattle show so I'd go see that rather than the fashion show but that's just me. ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jetstream314 said:
What they were showing me doesn't slip into the jacket but is worn between your shirt and the jacket... thoughts?
For general purpose riding my thought is 'overkill' but it's better to have than not. Track/sport riding... great idea! I'd surf eBay for one though. I've also seen them on www.newenough.com reasonably cheap.

Jetstream314 said:
I am actually going to the motorcycleshow in Seattle the on Dec 2nd with some friends. I hate that it is conflicting with Duc fashion show... not sure I can hit both.
Take your wife after the show as a date. The Fashion Night thing doesn't start until 7pm. Food/Beverage, blah blah blah. I'm headed to Argentina the next morning but will be trying to weasel my way to both shows (wife/kids permitting).

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I am back in time... a date to the duc fashion show would be an aweome way to spend the rest of the evening. I am driving up from the Portland area (to Seattle) so it just depends. Argentina???? Sounds great. Went to Costa Rica last December and to Belize, Guatamala and Roatan last August (hiking scuba, etc). Love to travel. Be safe down there. Thanks again for the good info

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My trip is for work so probably will not be nearly as much fun as yours was. My mission is to get in, get out and not be abducted or devoured by man eating llammas. Shows what I know of Buenos Aires. I wish I had time to dive and do some sight seeing but my wife can't go with me as she's just returned to work from her maternity leave (and she has to pay for the bike she bought me in September). Leaving her with two kids for any additional time I might come home to a pile of twisted, cut, torched and hammered metal rather than the cycle I kiss each night before going to bed. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jetstream314 said:
;D My wife bought me an early birthday present this year. She is truly the best. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 SR4 with 750 miles on it (blue with the white stripe / stock). It has been several years since I have been on a bike so I will be taking the MSF class to become reacquainted. I will be taking it easy on the bike for quite sometime. I am fortunate in that my commute to work is mostly backroads and through a pass before dropping into town (virtually no traffic but lots of twisty turns). I no longer have riding gear so.... I need all new gear (I hate that) I was hoping that I could get some feedback on what gear I should be looking at (helmet, jacket, pants, boots gloves, etc). I am very safety oriented. I remember how much it hurts to crash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..... almost forgot... I love this site. I read it constantly.
You must be in heaven:

- WIfe who BUYS you a bike, never mind tolerates you riding it
- Twisty lightly traffic'd roads to work....

For gear - I wear a moto gp jacket, sidi boots, alpinestars gp plus gloves, arai corsair helmet, draggin jeans with ce knee protectors

If its a weekend ride - I swap the jeans for a pair of Alpinestars race leathers.

And I always wear the gear -

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice Wifey you got there...

As for gear, a jacket with back, elbow, and shoulder armor is manditory. You don't want to get hurt in a crash, and there are good looking jackets out there that will protect. I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket that's pretty good for the cash ($150). An Arai RX7-RR4 helmut protects the noggin. Don't forget armored gloves and heavy leather pants and/or armored jeans.

LJB 8)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Congrats, she sounds like a good one. The blue is awesome too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Nice wife tell her you are very very lucky. Nice ride too. I wish I was that lucky bike and a great wife who can ask for anything more.

-ghost

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The best protection is the protection you'll wear!

I have a stand-alone long back protector that I wear for trackdays. I know that I won't go to the trouble for commuting and may not bother for weekend group rides either. So my primary jacket is a Dainese with armadillo back protector installed; don't have a separate item to put on/take off so I use it every time. It doesn't cover the lower vertebra as completely but it's much better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts