Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
If you want to put a 200 on the bike, I say go for it. Just don't plan on doing any hard riding in the twisties or track days. It will definately affect handling in a negative manner.

The dispute about the differences between a 160 and a 180 are hard pressed however. Certainly, if you had a bike with a 160 stock and changed it out for a 180 you would notice a difference in handling. But IMO it's impossible to compare a bikes handling with a 160 to that of a bike with 180. Even if the bikes are similar, the suspension, geometry and setup are different. So it's not really a fair statement to say that you can easily tell the difference between the two.

Overall, I would say that the quickness in steering and turn in between the two sizes is negligible, but it really depends on the bike. Obviously a touring bike from the '80s isn't going to handle as aggressively as a 696, even if they do have the same size tire.
My comparison for that is the M900 Monster vs. the M750 Monster. Close years, same chassis, same suspension, geometry and setup. (Those early Monsters had non-adjustable suspension, so both bikes had what the factory set up stock.) The 750 has a bit less power, but that isn't the issue at hand. And yes, I could tell the difference, easily between the two. Enough that I have considered swapping the rim to get the 160 on my bike instead of the stock 180, strictly for the handling improvement.

PhilB

·
Registered
22 Posts
My comparison for that is the M900 Monster vs. the M750 Monster. Close years, same chassis, same suspension, geometry and setup. (Those early Monsters had non-adjustable suspension, so both bikes had what the factory set up stock.) The 750 has a bit less power, but that isn't the issue at hand. And yes, I could tell the difference, easily between the two. Enough that I have considered swapping the rim to get the 160 on my bike instead of the stock 180, strictly for the handling improvement.

PhilB
While in the topic, I have to ask 2 questions...

A) Given the slight difference in power/size/weight between the M696 and the M796, is there a noticeable handling difference between the two, since the 696 has a 120f/160r tire setup vs. the 796 with a 120f/180r setup?

B) With your typical '09 M696 Bridgestone tires, what kind of average mileage can I expect to get out of them? ( everyday commuting/riding, no track yet )

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
While in the topic, I have to ask 2 questions...

A) Given the slight difference in power/size/weight between the M696 and the M796, is there a noticeable handling difference between the two, since the 696 has a 120f/160r tire setup vs. the 796 with a 120f/180r setup?

B) With your typical '09 M696 Bridgestone tires, what kind of average mileage can I expect to get out of them? ( everyday commuting/riding, no track yet )

Thank you in advance.
I haven't ridden either the 696 or 796 Monsters. I've tested the 1100 and 1100S, as well as the HM 796 and HM1100. So I can't say directly, but I would expect that would contribute to a more nimble feeling for the 696.

What model are the Bridgestones? Sport tires, or more sport-touring? Sport-touring tires should be good for about 10-12K, full sport tires about half that, depending a lot on how you ride.

PhilB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't ridden either the 696 or 796 Monsters. I've tested the 1100 and 1100S, as well as the HM 796 and HM1100. So I can't say directly, but I would expect that would contribute to a more nimble feeling for the 696.

What model are the Bridgestones? Sport tires, or more sport-touring? Sport-touring tires should be good for about 10-12K, full sport tires about half that, depending a lot on how you ride.

PhilB
I have a brand new Battlax BT016 rear that I managed to get a sheet metal screw embedded on... =/
Plugged it, still need to replace, was wondering if I should replace with same type tire or something different. Maybe BT-023 sport touring?

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt016.html

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
I have a brand new Battlax BT016 rear that I managed to get a sheet metal screw embedded on... =/
Plugged it, still need to replace, was wondering if I should replace with same type tire or something different. Maybe BT021 sport touring?

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt016.html
I like the combination of sport front and sport-touring rear, but I ride every day and so I need more tire life than most. I generally run Metzelers.

PhilB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the combination of sport front and sport-touring rear, but I ride every day and so I need more tire life than most. I generally run Metzelers.

PhilB

I do ride on a daily basis - unless it's snowing or there's a lightning storm going on. Even on the M696 I have been racking up mileage... since we bought it used 3 weeks ago, I've put 920 miles on it, that's with a lot of hurricane downtime. The fun factor greatly outweighs the comfort of the RoadKing. ;D
And the reason for my curiosity on the 796 handling is that I am contemplating getting one for myself and letting my fiancee enjoy the 696 at her leisure.

So far I've read great things about Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Avon. Heard good things about Metzeler tires for HD a while back... a lot of guys were swapping the dunlops on their RK's for Metzeler touring tires.
I'll do my homework and figure it out soon...

Thanks again for your feedback.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You might also consider the weight factor.
Rotating mass is the most critical part of a bike's weight.
Your bike is not particularly powerful, and people spend a lot of money to buy lighter rims to increase their bike's performance.
I'm not too sure what the weight difference is in the larger rim/tire combo, but I'm sure it is significant.

(p.s. - I personally love the way stretched 'busas look!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
696 rear wheel conversion to a 5.50inch rim?

Guys,

Would any of your know if the Ducati ST2, ST3, ST4 rear rim in a 5.50inch width bolt straight onto the 696 rear stock swingarm? I wana give the rear of the 696 a wider rear tire. (Stock 696 is 4.50 x 17 with a 160.60/17 rear)

Any other Ducatis compatible with the rear of a 696...lets say a Ducati Monster 1000's rear rim too being a 5.50incher?

Please let me know....

By the way..lets avoid the negative discussion on unsprung weight issues due to heavier and wider rear tires...I know the issues...i simply want the bike to "LOOK" better, performance is not my priority. I've got a sportbike for that reason.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Miguel

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 620 Was able to be tossed into a corner quicker (160) but the s2r (180) seems to be slightly more stable in the same corner, but not able to get there as quickly. Why was my shop wanting me to go up a size in the front? Any benefit?

Unrelated: why do I feel much more comfortable leaning in on right-handed corners then I do on left? My chicken strips are gone on the right, still have around 1/2 inch showing on the left. I definitely get lower on the right. Is this because I don't have many good left turns or my body/mind doesn't agree with the geometry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so Phil

quick Q on this...

as you know..or maybe now know i'm riding an 1100s Monster.
i thin the rear tyre does look abit thin for the bike itself considering the engine size.
i'm not taking this to the track at all...and its more of a 2 - 3 days a week short commute and a weekend cruise.

putting a one size up rear tyre shouldn't have that much of an impact...

thoughts ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
One size fatter shouldn't be a big deal, especially when you consider if the old tire is worn the profile tends to be flatter anyway. The new rounder profile tire will usually handle a little sharper, offsetting the increase in width. I always notice my SuperGlide handles better with new tires, even though they're the same size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know why people like to assert their opinion as fact when they really never mention any details.
I used to race lightwieght sportbikes. When I finally rode a GSXR750, I thought I would never turn it in. The fact is, you will get use to the slightly heavier steering if present after the change. Another fact is it will feel more stable and have more grip while leaned over. Another fact is that tire profile is important. A taller profile will provide slightly faster steering. The front tire profile and width is also more key to turn in feel. As someone mentioned, the rotational mass of a lighter wheel is easier to change direction at higher speeds.

A 200 tire may not fit between your swingarm and chain. You will have to do some measuring as it looks like no one here has said they have done it.

I have a 2000 M750. The previous owner put an aluminum M900 swingarm and 5.5"wheel on it. It feels fine to me. I also have a stock M750 swingarm and wheel. I'm sure if I put the 4.5" wheel with a 160 on it may feel lighter and handle better at speed. I also have a 748. It steers so fast I have almost ran off the inside of a fast turn. I also use a steering damper on my M750. It makes the steering a little heavier but I would rather have the benefit from it. Point is, you get used to how a bike handles and slightly heavier steering shouldn't kill you.

Some of the chassis choices the factory makes is because of cost. Most OEM shocks are junk, especially on entry level bikes.. Good for commuting but heat them up a little with some spirited riding and you will see the shortcomings. If you are just going to use your bike for street riding, a reasonable increase in width (from a 160 to 180) will hardly be noticeable and shouldn't exhibit any ill handling, provided you setup the suspension correctly.
Worst case scenario is you don't like the wider tire setup and just sell it to someone else. Enjoy your bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,917 Posts
so Phil

quick Q on this...

as you know..or maybe now know i'm riding an 1100s Monster.
i thin the rear tyre does look abit thin for the bike itself considering the engine size.
i'm not taking this to the track at all...and its more of a 2 - 3 days a week short commute and a weekend cruise.

putting a one size up rear tyre shouldn't have that much of an impact...

thoughts ?
If your priority is best handling, then don't go up in tire size unless you are having a frequent problem with the torque of your engine breaking the rear loose on acceleration. If your priority is looks, do what you want. Going one size up will look a little better and handle a little worse -- nothing dangerous, just a bit less agile. Going more than that will look significantly better and handle significantly worse, and could under hard conditions be a bit less safe. Up to you.

PhilB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Theres always that someone adding unneeded "tire width" knowledge and bypassing the original question. We want a larger tire so stick to the point moderator...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am pretty happy with how my rear 190 looks; it is a tight fit but there is room.
Doubt I would have room for a 200.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts