1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
YES!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I like it on other bikes because it is an easy way to identify other Monsters on the road. I think it might look goofy if I chop mine off because of the high mount pipes.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I would like to chop mine off because I think it looks better, however
a) nervous about chopping the frame
b) I use the plastic fender piece to hold my sunglasses while I don my helmet :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Tails are Fookin Ugly...

C

·
0 Posts
It was, and looks like, an afterthought. Not sure the exact rule, but it would seem to have to do with dot issues with lic. plate location etc. It's just not designed - so off it goes!

jb

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It was, and looks like, an afterthought. Not sure the exact rule, but it would seem to have to do with dot issues with lic. plate location etc. It's just not designed - so off it goes!

jb
it's definitely an afterthought b/c they needed the extra frame part to hang past the rear tire for installation of the license plate bracket, as you mentioned. having the bracket located above the tire would just cause problems (as I've attested once when I created my first relocation bracket). Either that or design a totally new rear seat/section to take advantage of the extra frame. the extra frame is actually good since the frame helps dampen vibrations so the bike doesn't seem as buggy.

Daffe

S

·
0 Posts
It rains.....I ride....and that stupid little plastic thing keeps most the spray off my back. If I were living, in say California I would cut it off.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I am going to be fabbing up a new license plate bracket that will hold the top of the plate flush with the back edge of the taillight. I'm hoping that will help me with the dirt streak up the back of my jacket in the rain...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I waited about four years before I gave in and cut the tail off. I did it strictly for looks.

Even living in California, there is still water on the roads sometimes, like where the sprinklers for the grass down the middle of the main roads here in Pleasanton have been left on too long. If your tail doesn't extend as far as the rear of your tire, you WILL get water on your back when you ride through water at any speed over about 5 mph. It was a lot worse than I expected it to be. I also started noticing little pieces of gravel on the seat when I got off that got flipped up.

I'm now trying the other extreme for a while. I removed the small aluminum plate holder from my ST2 and put the original fender back on, then attached the saddle bags. I went from the smallest of Monster tails to the biggest back end Ducati makes (okay, I'm not going to put on a tail trunk).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally feel that the chopped look isn't aesthetically balanced. It looks... well, too short. There is too much space between the seat and the tire, and the lines of the bike stop short, leaving the rest of the bike just "out there." It's just my opinion, and it may change, as I've noticed it has for a few of you here.

I can completely appreciate those of you who have made the conversion, though, because I don't really like the stock rear end, either. But for the difficulty of the mod and the level of satisfaction I would get, I'm not going to do it.

Until I can envision some sort of middle ground, the back end stays.

I wonder if it would be possible to reshape the existing fender....

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
you'll have to re-design the whole monster's ass if you want to make it look better... it's called a monster... an ugly sob (that's what the Ducati people originally said about it) so maybe the look fits?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I think it is a little short if everything is chopped way off. I definitely think the stock rear end could be cleaned up and minimized a bit, but I am not ready for the chop yet.

I also think it sometimes looks odd when the pipes stick way beyond the tail.

I think I prefer more of more 'stock' Ducati look, whereas others are really going for a street-fighter look.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts