Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Phil and i went on a short ride which started in Prescot, went south on 35 to O to 65 then back down to prescot. Just after taking a left going north on O we stopped for a quick chat. When we were doing so a Yamaha cruiser type passed by going the same direction.
I led the way going north on O. A Few miles down the road i caught up to the Yamaha, staying far enough back i would be surprised if he herd me. I then follwed him for a short time then stopped at a bridge and waited for Phil.
After a short huddle to discus the game plan i let the way again. Two corners after we started up i came across a scene i never wanted to see. In the middle of the corner was a man lying in pain holding his leg, i also noticed he had almost worn a hole through his helmate where it hit the ground, his bike (a very well dressed soft-tail) was laying on its side in the oncoming lane, and the yamaha was lying with the front tire hanging over the embankment leading straight down to a river.
Being the first on scene i quick whipped my bike around and blocked the lane of traffic coming blind around the corner. Then proceded to tend to the injured rider. To our luck a group of about 15 Yamahas were there within 2 mins of the accident, helping call the cops, ambulance stopping traffic, etc. Oh, and the Yamaha rider was just fine (lucky a$$hole)
The reason for the accident:
The rider of the Yamaha took the corner to fast, swung into the oncoming lane where there just happened to be a Harley looking him right in the face.
They didn't hit, how i have no idea, they both laid them down and just missed each other. The thing that hit me about as hard as the realization that it could have been me and not the Harley was, if i would have kept up to the yamaha for two more turns, that guy would have rolled right under my bike.
So, RIDE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS OR DONT RIDE AT ALL, this $#*t stain didn't ride within his limits, now there are two very expensive bike totaled beyond repair, and more importantly there is one man in the hospital. I'm getting a little pissed thinking about this a-hole, so thats my story.
ride safe, AND RIDE SMART!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yikes! That is indeed a scene that we all dread. Glad to hear that the injuries were not more serious, and my hat's off to you for helping the fallen riders... :-\

I saw your post this afternoon, and I was going to try to rendezvous with you guys at the little park in Prescott. But I didn't get out of the house early enough to hook up with ya. Hope this wreck didn't ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yikes, how terrifying. I sometimes feel like a wimp or a fraud going cruiser speed and slowing way down on turns. But I keep reminding myself that the whole purpose is for me to have fun, and that I have years to learn, not to mention almost 40 years of NOT riding to catch up with.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Might be a "little" harsh judging him a
$#*t stain
for making an error in judgement.

He undoubtedly thought he *was* within his limits until he found out otherwise and unfortunately his timing/luck were extremely poor. This may be the first time he ever crossed the center line, who knows... no excuse but we all make mistakes. How many people on this board can say they've NEVER swung wide on a turn. It only takes one error and some bad luck...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at the time the words seemed appropriate, watching the rider who swung wide just walking around like nothing happened and the guy who was following the rules of the road lying on the ground with a head injury and a totaled bike. I was a little mad :mad:

But i will not apologise for the use of the words, if i read this story and it was about me, i would accept the words used to discribe me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This sounds like it might have happened at the esses just before a sharp left hand corner onto what I consider the beginning of the upper part of Cnty O. There is usually a light sprinkling of gravel in those corners. Nothing to really worry about as long as a)you have faith in your bikes abilities and don't do anything stupid to upset the bike b) be riding at a speed where you have some reserves in your abilities to call on.
I for one would like to see the average Cruiser person pull his or her head out of the dark place they have it buried and figure out that it might be helpful to understand how a motorcycle works. Most of the Harley guys I know (I know a Yamaha was at fault this time, but I don't know any metric cruiser folk) have absolutely no idea what the physics are to make a bike behave correctly at speed. They also appear to have no idea about what happens when they start grinding hard parts or how to increase their lean angle safely. Or maybe it's a midwestern thing because I saw a fair number of Harleys in California this summer that were hauling ass down HWY 84 with their riders hanging off (well as much as you can on a Road Glide or Soft tail) and chewing the floorboards up. By the way it is really weird sight to see some guy with a big beard and long grey hair hustling a Wide Glide with apehangers around a decreasing radius corner damn near half off the bike to keep it upright enough to not drag the floorboards. Great form modified for the completely wrong motorcycle.

Nina,
Patience is a virtue when learning how to ride. Make lots of little increases in speed it's not as scary that way which will help you internalize the proper techniques and keep the survival reactions at bay. Anyone you ride with that is worth riding with will wait at turn offs so you can ride at a comfy pace. Public roads are not racetracks even though it sometimes appears I use them as one. One of these days we should get you out here and we'll set up your bikes suspension for your weight. I also have a book or two you can borrow for winter reading if you want.

Desmo Elmer,
I treat the yellow line as a wall which is one of the reasons I can't spin up the rear tire on the street. I like keeping a reserve in my pocket anywhere other than a racetrack.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going from 10 (i think) where you need to jog just a little down 10 to get back to O. you pass a park/ VFW type building then a left hand corner, a right , a bridge then a left hand corner, the left is where the incident unfolded, but coming north

(I hope this makes sence)

·
Registered
96 Posts
There???? What is he doing crashing there? It's a smooth constant radius corner with a bit of camber to help you around. I'm reverting back to he had his head buried deeply in his ***. There are several places I can picture crashing on O but that one wasn't even on the list. Especially not going north. He had to have taken a majorly early and wrong apex to get on the wrong side of the yellow there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i tend to push myself every now and then, once im comfortable with one limit, i push it a lil further, without leaving the comfort zone. If we didnt push ouserlves a lil bit every time, we'd still be riding tricycles :p. Gotta ask urself "Do I feel lucky today?"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cyclopes said:
If we didnt push ouserlves a lil bit every time, we'd still be riding tricycles :p.
You obviously haven't seen me stunt a tricycle [laugh]

·
Registered
616 Posts
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] Oh man Id pay to see you riding a tricycle ::)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Limits. More like risk management. There is a scale that I like to call the risk management scale. I have Pat Hahn to thank for this scale but I believe it is very helpful here. Remember that no street rider will be in level 1 or 2. Food for thought when riding.

Table Pat Hahn from "Ride Hard Ride Smart" published by Motobooks. Yes, it is a shameless plug for my book.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
616 Posts
U know I rather throw paint at old ladies than at bikers [laugh]
And since when is mountain climbing stupid? and bungee jumping social-pariah? those were gonna be my winter sports, i guess il just hybernate :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.