Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know, I am pretty new to the motorcycle communtiy. I still haven't decided which Monster to buy yet. But, one thing is for sure, I am mechanically impotent. I've lived with my mom for the past ten years after my parents split up, and my dad can't even do an oil change. I hear how expensive the matinence on a Duc is and how all of you are constantly modifying your bikes, and I'm left with one question...How can I learn? I'm asking because if I don't learn mechanics, my bike will never change. Also, when you all make modifications to your bikes, how much better do they actually get? Speed wise, handiling, torque, style, etc... This would provide a motivation to learn. Should I take a class? What?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Adam,
It's not a need. It'a a desire. The mods are not because we have to. We want to. There are lots of stock bikes ridden bone stock for years. I once had a Honda (oh the shame) that I only added a luggage rack to (more shame) in 60K miles. There are some bikes that owners are more passionate about... Monsters, various Harleys, maybe the occasional Wing ... that owners jsut constantly want to play with, buy gifts for and make unique to them.

Once you get a bike, you will meet and become friendly with other motorheads. There will be people to help, teach and advise. The ability will develop ... or not. The changes will be made... or not. Does not matter. All that really matters is the ride. The fun, the adventures, the excitement, the people, the sights and the memories. Motorcycles will change your life if you become addicted to them. Don't worry about the mechanical skill. It's a sub plot. Some bikers shine, some tinker, some ride extreme miles, some extreme speeds. You do not have to do any of these. Just ride.

Doc

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't get trapped feeling that you have to modify your Monster. Many mods are purely to make the bike a little more personal. The average mod rarely makes the bike perform significantly better. It may make the bike fit the rider better, make the bike look or sound better in the owner's opinion, but rarely makes a significant, measureable change to perfomance on the street.

Ducati's do require somewhat more maintenance than the average bike from the big 4, but you don't need to do anything yourself. Hopefully, you have a competent shop nearby that can handle the more challenging tasks (valve clearances, belt changes), but you can certainly manage an oil change.

The new DS engined Monsters also require less frequent valve clearnace checks.

However, if the maintenance and cost scare you, this is not the right bike.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The best way to learn is practice.
seriously.
do your best, but be willing to screw things up as you learn.
try to find some mechanical friends that can help you out. (I have at least 3

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
For me the most important thing to have in mind when doing mods is to, well, have something in mind. If you just start doing random things, over time you'll have kind of a mess. I did that to my bike, and I really disliked what I ended up with..DOH!

I have something in mind now, and it's comming out MUCH MUCH better.

And remember too, that a stock monster is really cool. You can't loose. To be honest, seeing a stock monster is kind of a treat, because you don't see them to often. :-D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... why ask why? some people drink Bud Light... other drink Miller Lite... still others drink Sam Adams... matter of taste and preference.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Jeff - YOU'RE giving mechanical advice???

D

·
0 Posts
You will find resouces on the iternet to give you options and help with instructions.

As far as why do mods...just wait, you'll find out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
T
If you go to an event with a bunch of Ducati Superbikes or Japanese sportbikes...they look all the same.
You will almost never see 2 Monsters that look the same.
thats what is cool about them
good one..

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Internet is a very good tool to get the knowledge you want .
www.ducatisuite.com is a very good site where you can find almost everything you ever wanted to know about maintain a ducati.Don't panic , maintenance isn't as hard or expensive as many people think .Of course it isn't as cheap as a Yamaha's for example!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
In addition to the a above, the FAQ section covers the most common mods with pros and cons.

For the first 6 mos or so, you'll need a laser beam focus on riding skills. Save the mods for next winter.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
How about only dating a girl who can work on your bike?

·
0 Posts
This board is the best place to get advice and a general knowledge of monsters. Skills are learned and the best are here. Just look at the feedback you 've received thus far. Get a bike and some tools and you''re straight. If someone doesn't have the answer they'll direct you to someone who does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts