Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... I'd like to ask your help. My wife and I are a bit tired of living in a cramped 1 bdrm apt in SoCal and paying a fortune for it. Unfortunately, I'm not rich...so I can't afford real-estate here. During our conversations about this (usually involve crying and/or breathing into a paper bag), the question came up 'How about Portland?' Well, we've done a lot of 'net searching and a lot of conflicting information comes up.

So, I'm here...asking my DML brothers and sisters for help. Give me the skinny on Portland please!

Climate
Cost of living
Industries in portland
odd laws that I/we should know
twisty road availability
anything else you can think of that would be helpful.

You can also either email, or PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks All!
--Stuart

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Preface: I come from Vermont and have only been here 9 years.

Climate: I'd say the climate is really great for the summer months. 2 or 3 days of exceptional heat but the rest of them quite nice. Winters are long months of rain and gray. If you don't like rain it's hard to adapt to. January/February I'm at wits end and very restless, moody, and heading towards that dark tunner into insanity.

Cost of living: I make 4x the money I did in VT but we're no better off financially. Housing is a lot higher, but likely less than you're used to. Groceries, gas, etc. are also higher - but if my trip to Bass Lake last year was any indication it's no worse than you're used to. I guess I'd say that if you're in CA than Portland will always be less or equal to what you are used to, I think if I remember correctly it trails in everything but don't hold me to that.

Industries in portland: There is a lot of opportunity here, most seems to be high tech stuff but there are always listings for jobs - check oregonlive.com for an indication and also the portland business journal online. MotoCzyz is here and have posotions open occassionally with your projects and experience you might be able to get a job with them. I've tried with no luck but I don't have the Coup Detat on my side ;O)

odd laws that I/we should know: Backing into roads/traffic is legal (not so in VT - this one blew me away!), no lane splitting, I'm sure there are more but those are the only 2 of significance I can remember.

twisty road availability: Yes, check this out for an idea - www.linesthemovie.com

anything else you can think of that would be helpful: Like the ocean? Like the mountains? Like the desert? Like skiiing? All pretty much a 2 hour drive from PDX.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
<threadjack>

c'mon stu, come with us to Boise, ID.
we can split a big shop ;D

or, alternatively...move to Fresno and buy my house (DML Ti Discount price- $350k!)

actually neither of those places have enough monsters to support your biz.
i think there are 4 monsters in fresno and 3 of them are coming with us.

<back on track>
Portland might actually work for you...seems to have a big ducati community and you could prob pull from seattle as well.....

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[response to threadjack]
Fres-hole?!? Boise?!?!? C'mon MH... You're kidding right?!? [cheeky]
[/response to threadjack]

Thanks ORDucrider! So...I'm guessing the time to vacation from OR is the winter months eh? I'm sure the wife will consider this valuable information!!!

Krolik: Ideas eh? I'm yer man....

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Where is Mother's input?

Okay, I'll go;

It sucks up here real bad. Rains most of the time. Your woman will hate it so you know what that means. High motorcycle suicide rate. Yeah Don't even bother. Stay where your at and things will be fine.

[cheeky]

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hi Sturat,

Here is my take and I've been out here a little over two years...
I relocated from North Carolina where most everything was cheaper including gas and realestate . I would wager that you've got it the other way around since during the three times I visited CA everything was more expensive than here. I think that there is great "quality of life" in Portland due to the closeness of varied activities in the mountains and at the beach. The summers are unbeatable... dry and warm for the entire time, (yeah, it doesn't rain during the summer months) but get ready for the winters which I actually would not call winters, no snow, maybe just gray months. The rain gets old especially since I have dogs that need to be walked allot, much drying them off. I've had some moments during the rainy times but I wouldn't attribute that soley to the rain but rather state of mind. I'm actually looking to buy a home now and there is quite a lot to choose from, it would seem to be a buyers market at the moment. I was looking last summer and that was tough for buyers, homes selling in an instant. They say that the housing market is slowing around the US but not so much here. Portland is expecting to grow by another one million in the next ten years so my belief is that realestate will be solid here. There are definatly lots of places to ride close by but I still have not found any twisties that can match what I had back home...
Hope that helps some,
Ray

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
That's cuz Ray hasn't ridden Hwy 7 yet

or spent the day running up and down Timberline Rd

I would have thought that The Big Mo'rilla would have shown him the cougar ride by now

Many Twisties

and besides, who needs twisties when PIR is so close

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The biggest thing to get over is what Ray calls "the grey months", especially if you're coming from socal. If you do move up, try to arrive in June, then you have the whole summer to get used to Portland, and when it starts to rain in November, you'll know what it's like when it's not raining. ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the add'l comments. From what we've been reading/researching...the winter 'greys' are tough.

We'd be trying to move in spring '07 if we do, so that would give us the summer to aclimate to the Portland area. PIR's close by, eh?!? I actually did some preliminary research myself to see what the proximity of a motorcycle race track was. :D I think I may have a line on a great used track bike...

I think if the winters are bad, that my wife and I will take our vacations during those months to try and break it up somewhat. I think that would help out.

As far as 'guilt-ing' me into a dry-clutch conversion goes... Guilt better be the word written in the subject line of the check! [laugh] I can do it, but it's not cheap.

Who needs twisites?!!? uh....everyone?!?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Im living just a tad north in sunny Tacoma. Love this part of the country, breezed in from England in 93 via So Cal, Arkansas and about 9 years ago Texas. I work as a carpenter so Im out side all the time. The weather is mild and damp in the winter, quite pleasent. Seaside and mountains about an hour away. Interesting roads. Skiing and snow sports, forests, mountain biking, hiking, watersports, and more.Great local wines,beer and food. All the culture you could want, fairly good employment, unaffordable housing. There are some down sides a bit of gang activity and Bush is still President, even here. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
cassiopia said:
breezed in from England

The weather is mild and damp in the winter, quite pleasent.
Remember the source.

[cheeky]

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You'll take a check

Shoot, I got a whole book of those

I thought you'd charge me money...

I have to say that the "grey months" are really over hyped

It is really only Oct and Nov

Dec, Jan, Feb, March, it snows

April the sun comes out to melt the snow

May it rains like it is freaking monsoon season

and the sun is out June through Sept

The fact that you can go from The Ocean to the Valley to Rain Forest to Mountains to High Desert in a 3 hour drive is why it is called Gods Country

I've seen most of the US and I've come back every time(although coming back from Colo was hard)

Motocorsa and DucSea sell enough ducs to keep you rollin' in business.

We have the best Beer and Wine on the planet

and hippies

Lots of hippies

You can never have too many hippies

and Midgets...er....I mean little people

Hillsboro is the world headquarters for little people

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I also keep coming back. I love it here.

Housing isn't cheap, but it is no where near socal. And really , the variety of land that we have within a days ride/drive is amazing.

Let us know if you want to come up for a look see, we'll get drunk.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Move to Portland, you'll never leave.

Maurice

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are seriously considering either a long weekend, or a week to check things out during the winter (likely sometime late Dec. or Jan.). If my wife's not scared off by the winter in Portland, that may just seal the deal.

I'll post up with details as to when we'll be up that-a-ways so plans can be made. We are, however, going to try and get a lot of time to ourselves so that we can feel around Portland and see how we like it.

Everyone's posts have been (mostly) helpful, so keep 'em coming! As far as the snow goes... I'm going to need more info on that.

How much does it REALLY snow up there in the city?
Frequency?
Accumulation?
Sticky/wet snow or light/dry snow?
Melted by 3pm snow?

(Grew up shoveling driveways....don't like it! :p )

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
How much does it REALLY snow up there in the city?
Frequency?
Accumulation?
Sticky/wet snow or light/dry snow?
Melted by 3pm snow?

(Grew up shoveling driveways....don't like it! :p )
Maybe two days a year. Mother doesn't live in Portland, he lives up at the base of the local ski resort, so he gets a lot more white than we do.
Portland, like most cities, is best explored with a little bit of local knowledge. If you come up, let us know, we'll get together on the front end of your trip and we can give you some insight into the localities...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
What's that mag called Elissa?

"Portland Finder"?

I think I have a copy lying around

I think it is a yearly, maybe quarterly publication from the Willamette Week

It will prove useful in showing you guys your way around

It lists out some of the cooler nooks around portland

Portland is all about the nooks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts