Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mea culpa time -
I just spent an absurd amount of money on a Cycle Cat ventilated clutch cover, and I absolutely love it.

It all started with being at World Superbike in Laguna Seca. There were all of these 99* bikes and monsters with open clutches and the 'chinka-chinka-chinka' of the dry clutches

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No, No, No. Let me translate the true meaning of their words:

Michael, that's all you spent for that beautiful clutch cover? And now the music coming from that outstanding motorcycle is that much sweeter? You're a genius!

That's really what they're saying, even if their words are different. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
it is both reassuring and good to open all the doors and windows and let the hammers of hell be heard by one and all,

pull all those sound-deadening rubber washers out of the cooling fins as well, so the ringing noise comes up....

and yes many the happy Duc owner has been known to grin like a fool at the sheer joy of his bike's symphony

S

·
0 Posts
personally, i'm ruined for any wet-clutched bike. gotta have that clackitty-clack-clack!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I'll probably have to get a license plate holder that says,
"No, it isn't broken
It's supposed to sound like that"

Wonderful music. At one point on Ducati Island they asked everybody to start up their bike and rev it. Now there must be ~200 ducs on the island. Unbelievable - the roar of all those Ducatis just made the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea. I was browsing the Evo slipper clutches at Laguna and just about passed out at the prices. (600->~1600 IIRC) Ouch! $175 looks much more reasonable.

The other thing I'm contemplating in the expose-thy-whirlybits category is open belt covers. There was a guy who had all the belts, pulleys and gears exposed on his naked 916 and it was a truly terrifying sight! I kept thinking of children and small animals getting caught in the gears... In our "make it all safe for the dumbest clot around" society you don't see that kind of exposed danger too often. Heh.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Reactions: gnarshread

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I was once pulled up at the front of the traffic lights and
Mr I-Know-Bikes-Mate walked past. He heard the clanging of the clutch and said to me, "Big end bearing mate!". To which I replied, "Dry Clutch".

He continued walking with his head both down and red.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I am deprived, I don't think I 've ever heard a dry clutch. There was a Monster at Laconia that was WAAAY noisy, maybe that was it????

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If I remeber right it was a clackity-clack sound , but you could here it from a great distance! And he was stopped in a parking lot, everyone turned and stared??

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
DUCnHAR,

Youve heard dry clutches on H-D's, haven't you?

Open Belt Drives have 'em.

Sounds like shaking coins around in a coffee can when you pull the clutch in. Or something like that........

M

·
0 Posts
much more reasonable.

The other thing I'm contemplating in the expose-thy-whirlybits category is open belt covers. There was a guy who had all the belts, pulleys and gears exposed on his naked 916 and it was a truly terrifying sight! .
the compromise solution is the fellow that is making the poly-plastic smoked see-thru belt covers or them carbon fiber ones with the screens on the flats

R

·
0 Posts
Hey Michael, I posted a photo for you in member photos.
Thought you and others might appreciate it.
Ifin' your smile ever wears off from the clackity clack.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Speeddog, allour HD's have wet clutches, and I've probably heard them, but didn't realise what it was.
the Duc at Laconia was surely a dry clutch, it did sound like marbles in a tin can!!

Why are some wet and some are dry?? Is one better then the other?

Open belt drive? by that do you mean an open primary case, open fly wheel?? I often wondered why they keep them open like that?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Michael, I posted a photo for you in member photos.
Thought you and others might appreciate it.
Ifin' your smile ever wears off from the clackity clack.
Hey Retro - thanks, cool picture. Unfortunately I had to download to see it. Something about the picture was causing the image gallery to hang, so I moved it to Misc/Deleted Images. If you get a chance to upload again feel free.

Jeff- Cool photo. Ever lost a pant leg in those things? :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry it was a problem to view, but as long as you were able to view it that's all that matters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts