Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the 07 S4R Testastretta and notice that I don't have one of those dry clutch noises. Is it no longer a dry clutch? Forgive the ignorance...my first Duc.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
With the stock clutch cover and that rubber gasket in place, it dampens a lot of the noise. The noise is there. Also since the bike is new, things are probably less noisey than a worn in clutch.

To let the noise out you can:
1. Remove the cover totally
2. Leave the stock cover, but replace the gasket with some spacers
3. Get one of the many open styles of clutch cover from Rizoma, Speedymoto, cyclecat etc.

Oh and a side note - this is an Accessories and Mods type question. IF you'd posted in there someone would have been all over it in 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were pretty darn quick! ;) I wasn't looking for any accessories or mods though.
Never have been a fan of the loud clutch. I'll keep it as quiet as possible. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Meltz said:
You were pretty darn quick! ;) I wasn't looking for any accessories or mods though.
Never have been a fan of the loud clutch. I'll keep it as quiet as possible. [thumbsup]
how rude! how dare you go and plug up that noise with all of us out here with dry clutch envy who'll never know the joys [cheeky] [cheeky] [cheeky]

just kiddin around, what yuu said, you have dry clutch and can let the noise out whenever you like ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I cruised around today without the clutch cover gasket today (shimmed out with the bushings from the gasket) and I didn't like it. To you average citizen, it sounds like a bike with dry bearings or something. Not my style I guess, I like quiet clutches too!

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
As the clutch basket and clutch plates wear they become noisier. If you like it quiet, as yours wears you may invest in a light-weight billet clutch basket and barnett-esque plates. These often quiet things back down. Its been said it may become quieter than stock. http://www.desmotimes.com/product4.htm See Question #5.

But who'd want all that?

Well I would for the lighter spinny bits reasons, but I like the racket. I enjoy the opportunity to talk about my bike when someone goes, why does it go "kachinka kachinka"?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I love the sound and the attention. ;D

A Harley rider at a light:

"THAT is enough reason to leave Harley and get a Ducati, WOW!"

A couple on a shadow at a light:

"That is SICK!"

A poser in an Escalade at a light trying to use his cell phone over his own music and my Ducati's:

Scowl and rolled up his window...and he was on the LEFT side of my bike! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Quiet!?!?!?

What is this quiet you speak of? That's like buying a Ferrari and saying you just can't enjoy it, it's too powerful. You'll just keep it in first gear. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
ha haaaa-i get this a lot. i was stopped waiting for some friends to catch up who took a wrong turn and this guy was in his yard comes over and says he thinks something is wrong with the bike and that it might need oil or something! ;D most people just don't realize that that is the way it is supposed to sound.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Open that bad boy up. I got one its loud but not as loud as I am going to make next year. I am a nice guy used to be able to talk to my neighbors all the time. But for some strange reason when I opened the clutch up and put on the arrow slipons they stopped talking to me. Could it be the fact that I crank my apebaby up at 6:00 am for my daily ride to work. Crank that clutch

-ghost

;D ;D

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Ahh...
Just got done freeing the sound on my 2007 S4Rs. What beautiful music! I will now have to wait on the Termi full kit for a bit so I can listen to my wonderful racket! [laugh]

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
When up at Sturgis bike week, I was with 5 cruisers with loud bikes, but the group leader always knew I was tagging along with my ring-a-ding clatt clatt clatt ring ring clatt clatt.

[thumbsup]

mitt

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Recone Helmut said:
I agree with keeping it quiet. To me, all that rattling gets in the way of the sweet sound of the pipes.
Core those cans or get a set of arrows and you can enjoy both take it from me I know. You will only hear the clutch when you stop.

-ghost

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
the_journeyman said:
I WISH my M750 had a dry clutch :-[ I opted out of buying an M800 because I'm going to save for a dry clutch Monster or Sport Classic ~

JM
I hate the sound of the dry clutch on my S4 so much that I will never sell my M750, i want to quieten the S4 clutch cheaply somehow.

jerry

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'm confused about the hating of something that makes your bike unique.

The dry clutch is rare in motorcycles and the fact that yours has one makes it unique.
People asking dumb questions about something being broke is an opportunity to get to talk about your bike, Monsters, and Ducati's in general.

I feel like being disgruntled about the sound of the clutch is like hating desmodromic valves. Neither are purely unique to Ducati's, but it sets our bikes apart from others.

I understand not wanting to take the clutch cover off, or not wanting to vent it to suppress the sound somewhat rather than broadcast it, but the clackaclackaclacka sound makes me smile when I'm at a stop light and the only sound coming from a friends CBR is a whirring sound when he rev's the engine. (Read: Weak. Very Weak Sauce.)

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
I'm confused about the hating of something that makes your bike unique.

The dry clutch is rare in motorcycles and the fact that yours has one makes it unique.
People asking dumb questions about something being broke is an opportunity to get to talk about your bike, Monsters, and Ducati's in general.

I feel like being disgruntled about the sound of the clutch is like hating desmodromic valves. Neither are purely unique to Ducati's, but it sets our bikes apart from others.

I understand not wanting to take the clutch cover off, or not wanting to vent it to suppress the sound somewhat rather than broadcast it, but the clackaclackaclacka sound makes me smile when I'm at a stop light and the only sound coming from a friends CBR is a whirring sound when he rev's the engine. (Read: Weak. Very Weak Sauce.)
My M750 works perfectly with a wet clutch , the dry clutch noise on my S4 is very irritating , i have owned 5 Ducatis 2 with dry clutches and I really do hate the noise, Its like some family member who u love dearly but has really irritating behaviour at times,like my snoring wife .

jerry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.