Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever I take my bike to the dealer there are always surprises.
I left my bike to get some warranty work done, guages replaced and leaky cylinder. Sooo he says bring me the red key, black key and your card. Ok so I did, that was several weeks ago, I get a phone call yesterday "er uh Gator, we need your other black key cause we can't get this thing to accept anything". Well correct me if I am wrong but the 2 black keys are just plain keys aren't they? I thought the red key was the important one. Anywho I sent the other black key and fully expect a call in a few days on the lines of..... "hey Gator, do you have a bomb"!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't think the black keys are "plain" keys. They are supposed to have a chip inside to enable/disable your immobilizer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I realize that but they already have the one black key.
Why would they need the other?

·
Registered
58 Posts
They needed all of my keys when my instrument cluster was replaced, too. I think the computer procedure calls for the insertion and partial rotation (clockwise, then counter-clockwise) of each of the three keys in a row (I believe it has to happen within a certain amount of time, too), to make sure everything is reset properly. Dunno how it works, just know that my dealer knew to tell me to bring all of the keys as they'd need each one to properly reset everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the red key can be use as a normale key, but the red key is also use to programme new black key.

the key usage is explain in the user manual.

Flavien

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Not on the S4 Howie, after chatting with Infoage and ScottS its ome to light that the S4 immobilizer and the other systems while they work the same, the ECU doesnt get involved on the S4s (at least as far as the programming goes).
ducman851, this is not correct. The S4 immobilizer IS tied into the gauges AND the ECU. Sorry for the confusion ::)

ibthegator,

The same thing happened to me early last year. The dealer was swapping my leaky gauges, but I forgot to bring the red key; so no swap. Next trip, I bring the red key and ONE black key, figuring I would just re-code with the other black key myself at home. No big deal, it's easy to do. Well, it didn't work. The tech couldn't get it to work, said he needed BOTH black keys to complete the sequence. Anyway, long story short, turns out the new gauge cluster was bad. I really don't think both black keys are needed, but we never found out. When the new (new) guages came in, I brought in all three keys.

It sounds to me like your new gauges might be bad (like mine were), because, like Flavien says, the red key should work regardless (mine didn't). But, I would NEVER use the red key as a normal key on the chance of losing it. Scares the hell out of out of me just carrying it to the dealer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for shedding some light.

gator

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Then explain why it is you can swap ECUs between S4s and not of say the 620, The statement I made was correcting Howie in saying the ECU is married to the gauges. The ECU is part of the immobilizer. On the S4 the ECU is NOT married to the gauges in a permanent fashion (there is that better?) Once you program a 620 ECU it cannot be moved from bike to bike as the S4 ECUs can. Any of this conversation coming back to you Tom?
Yeah, I remember some of this, kinda vague. I guess I'm having trouble with the idea that the immobilizer, ECU and gauge cluster set-up are materially different (immobilizer coding wise), between our bikes. But I honestly don't know. It's probably better for me to stick with what I know about the S4.

You're right, the ECUs can be swapped between different S4 Monsters (of the same year), assuming one has the respective red keys. Whether the gauges can be moved from bike to bike (with the red keys), I have absolutely no idea. If there is an S4R owner out there who wants to swap their gauges with mine, I'm willing to take the chance...

So the ECU is not married to the gauges, nor the immobilizer. But I do not know what, if anything, the gauges are married to....on the S4.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good lord, am I glad I've got a low-tech Monster with only one friggin' key.
Dion ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts