Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . do two exhaust pipes cost $700-$1200 dollars? This gives me chills just thinking about it. I fully realize that owning a Ducati exposes me to a certain amount of fleecing, but i can't handle the prices of exhaust systems out there. Its wrong.

Ill be taking delivery of my ebay M900 at the begining of next month. I already have stuff on ebay that will sell, to pay for a set of high mount Leo Vinci pipes. Best price ive found is about $650. Seriously, thats a lot of cheese for two mufflers and 4 feet of steel pipe.

Im thinking I should just build my own pipes and use a set of Micron cans. I like how the color fades to silver, and they sell universals.

Personally, i have no problem fabricating the pipes to connect the cans to the existing Ducati head pipes. I have access to a band saw, and i have a TIG welder in the garage. I figured id buy a box of stainless steel mandrel bent elbows, and straight sections to make what i need to make.

Do aftermarket high mounts use the same pipe diameter as the stock head pipes? Am I nuts for thinking about doing this? Has anyone made their own Monster exhaust before? Anything to add I didn't think of asking? Thanks all,

Kevin

M

·
0 Posts
you are absolutely correct....fleecing for decent exhaust cans is a major kick in the teeth, and all makers seem to have an unspoken agreement on the range of price-points

as an alternative if you don't absolutely need high-mounts you can have someone like Strati core and re-work your stocker cans to a finer state of resonance and sound

you need to get used to it....some aftermarket parts prices for Ducs are in-your-face insulting others are more reasonable

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just be glad you don't have a 999. Prices on that box under the seat and pipes are outrageous.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Why not buy a set of glass pack mufflers at your local auto parts store? It's been done before.

M

·
0 Posts
I still think its supply and demand. Cans have got to be the most popular item to swap out. They have all found a price point that gives good profit margins but is just at the top edge of heidiously high. We still pony up $600-$700 for some slip ons.

My Sils are nice but I do not see where there is the price justification. I'm going to have to polish up all the metal to make it look good. I'm still waiting on a proper fitting S pipe. Fit and Finish are just okay.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think strati's cans are great. I'm going to make a set of my own from some used CF cans. And I also have a set of straight pipes that just need some welding. I don't think I would ever pay that kind of swag for can, when I can get my stock pair "improved" by strati.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you are absolutely correct....fleecing for decent exhaust cans is a major kick in the teeth, and all makers seem to have an unspoken agreement on the range of price-points

as an alternative if you don't absolutely need high-mounts you can have someone like Strati core and re-work your stocker cans to a finer state of resonance and sound

you need to get used to it....some aftermarket parts prices for Ducs are in-your-face insulting others are more reasonable
I gotta have the highmounts :) That, and i love to build stuff.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Monsterlover,

If you've got the time and the talent to cut and join the prefabbed SS pieces and get good looking joints, I'd say go for it. If it comes off like you want, you'd have a one-off system to show off whenever people look at the details of the bike. Sometimes, that's worth the effort it takes. People do a mental doubletake when they hear "I fabricated that custom pipe..." instead of "yeah, that's a blah, blah, blah system by blah, blah, blah.."

If not, keep a close watch on Ebay. I've saved so much money on Monster parts in the last six months it's ridiculous. And if I keep saving at this rate on Ebay (two items pending right now), I'll be broke by June ;D Seriously, I have been getting a lot of parts and gear for usually about 1/3 of retail price. Some things bring closer to 75% of retail if they are unique or hard to find. But mostly it's been huge savings.

·
Registered
426 Posts
All of your replies are typical of people who have no idea of what manufacturing design development distribution costs. What is a fair profit for the manufacturer, for distributor, for retail seller? You don't like it make your own. Better yet make a whole bunch of them and sell them to everyone lets see what your price is once you do a few. You can buy stainless mandrel bends from Burns they are about $25 for one 180 degree bend. You don't need to buy any straight pipes as there is always enough already attached to the pre-bent pipes. Universal cans cost what $200 to $300 and couple of bends your up to $350 in just materials. Everybody should run out and buy a tig welder anywhere from $1300 to $3000 a metal cutting band saw another $1000. Anyway you get the idea if you have the equipment do it, you don't need to complain about the competition. I can do it and do when I have to like on my Gp Due but my time is too valuable to me to make a system for my 1036CS that I can buy off a shelf. If I can buy it 9 times out of ten I do. There are enough things out there that I need to make because nobody either makes it at all or doesn't make it good enough. Rarely is it because it is too expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I made a high mount exhaust for my red monster by welding on "S" bends from some scrap stainless steel swimming pools rails & mating them to D&D carbon cans. I forget what the cans cost, but I've got about $12 in the rest of it. I never put a value on my time, I figure if I wasn't working on a bike, I'd just be sitting in front of the TV.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
and here's some custom ones made with glass-packs.
(we only have crazy pipes at our house :p, the SS had normal pipes so i had to get rid of it)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
you could always buy a lightly used set off of ebay. There are always pipes on there, and they generally go for more reasonable prices...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of your replies are typical of people who have no idea of what manufacturing design development distribution costs. ---snip--- Universal cans cost what $200 to $300 and couple of bends your up to $350 in just materials. Everybody should run out and buy a tig welder anywhere from $1300 to $3000 a metal cutting band saw another $1000.
Geez, you thought I was complaing? Ive been in the industry for years, I know what stuff costs to make. I get that as you go up through the levels in the retail chain, the price often doubles at each step until the product reaches the consumer. In this case i think it more than doubles. Even if i did have $350 into a set of uni cans and some bends, thats still half of what the cheap slip on setups cost. I don't know why you think everyone should go out and buy a TIG and a saw, but since I already have one, I figured i might as well put it to use and eliminate a couple steps in the chain.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made a high mount exhaust for my red monster by welding on "S" bends from some scrap stainless steel swimming pools rails & mating them to D&D carbon cans. I forget what the cans cost, but I've got about $12 in the rest of it. I never put a value on my time, I figure if I wasn't working on a bike, I'd just be sitting in front of the TV.
Well put. I feel the same way about the TV thing. Good thinking on using the pool railings- I love it!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you could always buy a lightly used set off of ebay. There are always pipes on there, and they generally go for more reasonable prices...just a thought.
True. If i were to buy pipes, which i still might, Id want the Leo Vinci aluminum oval high mounts. Ive never seen them on ebay before. Ive been watching for Monster parts for a long time, but have only started looking closely recently.

Kevin

·
Registered
400 Posts
$350 off Ebay. I was going to go for the Leo Vinci low mounts but these came along and I couldn't pass them up. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good score! You know, ive never been a fan of tail chops, but your bike looks really good

Kevin
Thanks! ;D That's a ProItalia fender eliminator kit for 93-99 Monsters. Really happy with the way it turned out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
thats exactly what I said if you can make it yourself, some of you obviously can, then do so. But you were whining about the price, $650 is pretty reasonable for the retail price on a set of slipons. Look at the subject of the thread and tell me that isn't a whine?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts