Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A whistle is about the best I can do to describe the sound. It's actually more like the kind of sound you would make if you were whistling by sucking in rather than blowing out. That kinda makes me think its the airbox, but I'm not sure. I never heard it before yesterday, or at least didn't notice it. It happens when riding or when the bike is in neutral. I usually here it the most rite after pulling in the clutch or letting off the gas. Tell me this is normal and I have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Is your airbox stock or have you modified it? You could try pulling the rubber trumpets off and see if it goes away.

G

·
do you ever hear this whistling with the engine off? if so, it's air getting sucked into the gastank. but that whistling's typically pretty quiet so i doubt you could hear it with the motor running.
is what you're hearing LOUD or barely audible or what?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loud enough that I can hear it over the engine at an idle, but not loud enough to hear it when reved up. It's also just a shot whistle

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to make a delivery for work so I took the bike for a little ride. I did notice that the whistle sound did seem to get slightly louder after about an hour of riding. I assume as the engine warmed up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
maybe ur bike is seeing some girls walkin by ... that u tend to ignore and ur bike is tellin u to pay more attention to the girls than the road ;).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have a similar whistle on my 620, but only when it is park and less than half the tank of gas in it. never when moving or engine running.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
maybe ur bike is seeing some girls walkin by ... that u tend to ignore and ur bike is tellin u to pay more attention to the girls than the road ;).
I was going to type the same thing until I read that post...lol.

Seriously though, it's something with an air line. Did you take your emissions canister off? That might be drawing some wierd air currents. Sounds crazy, I know, but fuel line noise is a reality.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a warm 72

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey strati!!! I hear that sound all the time!!! It's like a quiet whistle after I ride it or something...gets kinda annoying cuz' it never stops...but I figure it's nutting big, just air in the gas tank!!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
It sounds like the crankcase ventilation valve. you know the thing that everybody makes in Anodized Aluminum that still leaks just like the original but provides no performance gain. next time you hear it listen right behind the rear cylinder and see if that's where it's coming from. I have no idea how to make it stop, but it seems to have no adverse effects, just air escaping from the crank case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts